Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gold band found with a lot of history

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    LIFES ABEACH

May 2010
    USA
    MINELAB EXCALIBUR X10
    71 times

Gold band found with a lot of history

I found this gold band on the way home from a hunt, only had less than 2 hours to hunt. But found this 8.1 gram 14kt band that has alot of history.
    it has been engraved with 3 different wedding dates and initials. If only I could research this somehow and get it back to him or her. The dates are as ffollows
    in old English script JB-RR 5-6-54
    stampted NO-JV 5-14-94
    hand engraved MF-JO 8-1-06
    58 years of martial history is a short span for 3 generations , very cool find that I would love to return. Any ideas on how to find a name from the wedding dates and initials.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	690946  

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Apr 2008
    Springfield, Oregon
    Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
    118 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That could be almost anyone, anywhere. Granted, it would be really neat to be able to return
    something special like that, but you would have your hands full for sure. Wish you the best of
    luck should you decide to try to return it......still a nice find....well done. Gold Nuggets
    It's amazing just how much treasure people loose and we manage to find.

us
    John

Sep 2012
    Grundy VA
    Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
    190 times
    You have your work cut out for you on returning this one!
    We all know jesus rode a shovelhead,Thats why he walked everywhere he went!!!

us
    LIFES ABEACH

May 2010
    USA
    MINELAB EXCALIBUR X10
    71 times
    Yes, been at it for hours to no avail. Can find every name and wedding dates for 1840-1900 but nothing past then? Very odd. They have them listed to where if the list was expanded it would be a breeze to find them.

us
    Jun 2009
    Bradenton, Fl
    Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
    1172 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    What a loss! Nice piece of history, handed down several times.

us
    Joe

Sep 2007
    Long Beach, California
    XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark
    614 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Is that 1954 through 2006?

If so ...I'd try posting that last set of initials and date in Craigslist for location where found.

Also...perhaps the local paper might like to take up the challenge and assist you? It would make a terrific story.
    austin likes this.
    Regards, Joe (California)

Feb 2012
    North Pole
    Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
    1822 times
    Congratulations!!
    One third jewelry of the World are under sand so far
    Finds2013
    Coins usables=50436
    Silver= 890 pieces
    Gold= 63g

us
    Oct 2011
    penn state
    ace 150, flea market digger
    330 times
    could be 1906 ? hope your able to track it down

us
    Apr 2012
    Riverside,California
    MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
    640 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    You are so right a history ring with all those dates,HH

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2012
    CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
    494 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Great find, Hope you have luck finding the owner, It would be way cool to return that one.

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Xcal, Minelab SE, DFX, MXT
    503 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Would be an interesting piece for a new paper article that someone might read if it was a local loss. They might even be able to search to see if anyone ever posted that loss in the lost and found. You might even do a LETTER TO THE EDITOR article. I know more people read those than the lost and found. Something rare.... looks like a mans ring that was passed down i wouldnt thing youd see that a lot. He might have not resized it just because of the history inside it. I find it odd that none had the same last name.

Dew
    Last edited by dewcon4414; Oct 23, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

us
    Anita

Apr 2012
    New Hampshire
    V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster
    323 times
    May not be three generations. First interval is 40 years, next interval is 12 years. Who marries at age 12? Only thing I can think of is couples #2 and #3 are siblings of the same generation (two of the names end in "O" in marriage #2 and #3). Maybe marriage #2 ended in divorce and ring was given to couple #3 when they married. This is what makes sense to me...only my opinion. Hope this makes sense.

I agree, contact the newspapers, they may be able to research and return for you.

Nice find, btw!

HH,
    Anita
    Silver, gold - I don't discriminate! I like sparkly things". ~ Charlaine Harris

us
    Dec 2006
    Western NY
    Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surfmaster
    21 times
    in old English script JB-RR 5-6-54
    stampted NO-JV 5-14-94
    hand engraved MF-JO 8-1-06

I agree with Anita, to a point. I think that JB-RR are grandparents to either NO or JV and that JV and JO are the same person. My guess is that NO passed away (I doubt divorce, since they kept that engraving in the ring) and MF-JO is a second marriage.

Scott

us
    Mar 2007
    Hudson Fl.
    Excal
    287 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Talk about a family handmedown wedding band! WOW! Hope you find them.

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac
    532 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    good luck finding the owner! neat find!
    Debby

us
    Jan 2006
    Palm Harbor, FL
    excal / Fisher
    63 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I think the research could be fairly easy, as we look at the initials. in old English script JB-RR 5-6-54 stamped NO-JV 5-14-94 hand engraved MF-JO 8-1-06. Names that have first name starting with N and last name starting in O, should really narrow down the search. I agree it looks like the last date and initials is a second marriage. Again the initials J O could be referenced to N O in a marriage announcement. Just thinking, what is the chance they were married in the same town, same church? Might be a really good odds! Could also look at the census for those years in town, dates names just might line up. Another thought occured to me, I'm not sure of the proper sequence of engraving, is it the womans initials first, then the mans or is it the other way around, or a mix of the two?
    Last edited by kc10bull; Oct 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

us
    Dec 2006
    Western NY
    Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surfmaster
    21 times
    kc10bull, the idea of checking census records will only work if these dates are really 100+ years old. The newest census available is 1940 and that was released this year. The census records are sealed for 72 years. My thought is that this ring is a relatively recent loss with the dates actually being 5-6-1954, 5-14-1994, and 8-1-2006. Based on that, checking wedding notices in newspaper back issues for those dates should lead to finding the owner, provided that they are from the local area.

Scott

us
    Oct 2012
    Retired and traveling
    Whites 6000di Pro SL Whites Goldmaster II vSat Whites Prizim 6T
    33 times
    This might be a long shot but worth a try. I had a friend (until his passing) that was an old school hand graver and taught it at GMI. He told me one time it was such a small "club" if you will that he knew most of the hand gravers and could easily recognize their work in an instant. You might check with a local jeweler to see if they have a hand graver they farm their work out too. If you can find a couple of them that are old enough to have been practicing during the period of the hand engraving you might be able to make a connection that way. My friend had been contracted for years to engrave the Olympic Gold and Silver medals only...he also did silverware for the White House and State Department. Just the idea if you can find a hand graver locally they might be able to steer you to the guy who did it originally. Great find though...it's one of those finds you'd rather return to the owner than cash it in.

us
    Mar 2011
    N Central Fla
    Ace 250
    19 times
    try the local (county) genealogical society. they can post it among their members, etc.
    Tigger

us
    Oct 2011
    S E Virginia
    67 times
    abeach01,
    That looks like a very Special ring that you found. Somebody must be heartbroken to have lost it.
    I hope all your efforts to return it pay off.
    That being said, I am curious about your and others finds being returned to the rightful owner.
    A lot of times l see finds posted with information that only the owner would know. I see that you
    haven't given your location or where you found the ring and l guess that can be a good indicator
    if someone claiming it knows the location that you found it. I would guess that most people have
    no clue as to where they lost an item.
    Again l am just curious how others sift through claims and rightful owners?

Good Luck With The Return & Keep Us Posted!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors