Gold band found with a lot of history

abeach01

May 9, 2010
USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXCALIBUR X10
I found this gold band on the way home from a hunt, only had less than 2 hours to hunt. But found this 8.1 gram 14kt band that has alot of history.
it has been engraved with 3 different wedding dates and initials. If only I could research this somehow and get it back to him or her. The dates are as ffollows
in old English script JB-RR 5-6-54
stampted NO-JV 5-14-94
hand engraved MF-JO 8-1-06
58 years of martial history is a short span for 3 generations , very cool find that I would love to return. Any ideas on how to find a name from the wedding dates and initials.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could be almost anyone, anywhere. Granted, it would be really neat to be able to return
something special like that, but you would have your hands full for sure. Wish you the best of
luck should you decide to try to return it......still a nice find....well done. Gold Nuggets :hello:

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have your work cut out for you on returning this one!

OP
OP
abeach01

abeach01

May 9, 2010
USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXCALIBUR X10
Yes, been at it for hours to no avail. Can find every name and wedding dates for 1840-1900 but nothing past then? Very odd. They have them listed to where if the list was expanded it would be a breeze to find them.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a loss! Nice piece of history, handed down several times.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is that 1954 through 2006?

If so ...I'd try posting that last set of initials and date in Craigslist for location where found.

Also...perhaps the local paper might like to take up the challenge and assist you? It would make a terrific story.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be 1906 ? hope your able to track it down

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright:You are so right a history ring with all those dates,HH:hello:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, Hope you have luck finding the owner, It would be way cool to return that one.:icon_thumleft:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be an interesting piece for a new paper article that someone might read if it was a local loss. They might even be able to search to see if anyone ever posted that loss in the lost and found. You might even do a LETTER TO THE EDITOR article. I know more people read those than the lost and found. Something rare.... looks like a mans ring that was passed down i wouldnt thing youd see that a lot. He might have not resized it just because of the history inside it. I find it odd that none had the same last name.

Dew

Last edited:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May not be three generations. First interval is 40 years, next interval is 12 years. Who marries at age 12? Only thing I can think of is couples #2 and #3 are siblings of the same generation (two of the names end in "O" in marriage #2 and #3). Maybe marriage #2 ended in divorce and ring was given to couple #3 when they married. This is what makes sense to me...only my opinion. Hope this makes sense.

I agree, contact the newspapers, they may be able to research and return for you.

Nice find, btw!

HH,
Anita

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in old English script JB-RR 5-6-54
stampted NO-JV 5-14-94
hand engraved MF-JO 8-1-06

I agree with Anita, to a point. I think that JB-RR are grandparents to either NO or JV and that JV and JO are the same person. My guess is that NO passed away (I doubt divorce, since they kept that engraving in the ring) and MF-JO is a second marriage.

Scott

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about a family handmedown wedding band! WOW! Hope you find them.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
I think the research could be fairly easy, as we look at the initials. in old English script JB-RR 5-6-54 stamped NO-JV 5-14-94 hand engraved MF-JO 8-1-06. Names that have first name starting with N and last name starting in O, should really narrow down the search. I agree it looks like the last date and initials is a second marriage. Again the initials J O could be referenced to N O in a marriage announcement. Just thinking, what is the chance they were married in the same town, same church? Might be a really good odds! Could also look at the census for those years in town, dates names just might line up. Another thought occured to me, I'm not sure of the proper sequence of engraving, is it the womans initials first, then the mans or is it the other way around, or a mix of the two?

Last edited:

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kc10bull, the idea of checking census records will only work if these dates are really 100+ years old. The newest census available is 1940 and that was released this year. The census records are sealed for 72 years. My thought is that this ring is a relatively recent loss with the dates actually being 5-6-1954, 5-14-1994, and 8-1-2006. Based on that, checking wedding notices in newspaper back issues for those dates should lead to finding the owner, provided that they are from the local area.

Scott

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might be a long shot but worth a try. I had a friend (until his passing) that was an old school hand graver and taught it at GMI. He told me one time it was such a small "club" if you will that he knew most of the hand gravers and could easily recognize their work in an instant. You might check with a local jeweler to see if they have a hand graver they farm their work out too. If you can find a couple of them that are old enough to have been practicing during the period of the hand engraving you might be able to make a connection that way. My friend had been contracted for years to engrave the Olympic Gold and Silver medals only...he also did silverware for the White House and State Department. Just the idea if you can find a hand graver locally they might be able to steer you to the guy who did it originally. Great find though...it's one of those finds you'd rather return to the owner than cash it in.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try the local (county) genealogical society. they can post it among their members, etc.
Tigger

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
abeach01,
That looks like a very Special ring that you found. Somebody must be heartbroken to have lost it.
I hope all your efforts to return it pay off.
That being said, I am curious about your and others finds being returned to the rightful owner.
A lot of times l see finds posted with information that only the owner would know. I see that you
haven't given your location or where you found the ring and l guess that can be a good indicator
if someone claiming it knows the location that you found it. I would guess that most people have
no clue as to where they lost an item.
Again l am just curious how others sift through claims and rightful owners?

Good Luck With The Return & Keep Us Posted!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread