SEF or WOT

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both a 12x15 and 15x18 SEF Butterfly coils and I like them both. The 12x15 is on an excal and have wot on another excal. I personally have no problem with either in the surf, sef even seems tiny bit easier to swing in the water. I hunt with harness attached to camelbac so weight is never an issue.

The 15x18 is for my sov gt and I love it. I can cover some area really quickly.

Last edited:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I also have a 15 x 12 SEF on my old Excal and love it. I mainly use it on the beach and calm daylight water. At first it took a little getting used to the long hot spot , but in a day or so was pinpointing quickly even in roughish water and dark. it is quite deep. If rough I switch to either a 10 or the original 8" coil. It does have some drag as it is larger. Very good to cover a lot of ground.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Treasure Hunter recommended it and I havent regreted it! He knows his stuff.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised to find no replys on the 15 inch wild orange thing (WOT)?

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is there a significant difference in depth or sensativity between the 12x15 SEF vs the 15x18 SEF. Obviously there is an increase in coverage with the 15x18, but do you loose sensativity or depth? Thanks, Papa

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is always a point where you loose sensitivity on a larger coil to smaller targets. Depth loose can come from coil shut down over very deep targets especially in larger coils working in a trashy area. I like the SEF coils.... they are fairly easy to PP as a DD coil and have good separation and sensitivity. I also like the narrower foot print. With the Sov disappearing it might get difficult to find these coils for the BBS machines.

Dew

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised to find no replys on the 15 inch wild orange thing (WOT)?
WOT = Wonderful Orange Thing. Made by Coiltec. Coiltec use to make all of Minelabs coils before Minelab started making their coils in house.
Site is full of comments on the WOT if you do a search.... I own both, I usually one on one hunt and the other next time I hunt..... To me the wot is a little easier in the water, less resistance, but the difference is so small it doesn't matter to me...

I have not noticed any loss of target size with the 15x18 I use, but I am not looking for grains of gold...... It has no problem seeing small tiny gold rings and that is what I care about....

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only used the SEF once with Treasure Hunter but I really liked it. Seemed to perform very well even when cranked up quite a bit. The WOT, it took me a while to figure something out with this coil that really made a "huge" difference in it's performance, especially in the water. "You must maintain a strong battery/current supply if you want to get the most out of it". Unlike the smaller coils, the WOT requires a steady flow of strong current to keep it running stable in heavy saline conditions. Once this current delivery starts to weaken so will the coil's/machine's performance. This same thing is true of my CZ-21 with 10.5 coil, once the flow of current becomes too weak I have to start cranking the sensitivity back in order to maintain stability. I just started encountering this today with the CZ near the end of the day. Machine was still hunting, battery test indicated "only a weakening power supply"..but I had to dial the sensitivity back from 9 to about 6 in order maintain stability. Set at 6 I could probably hunt another 5 or 6 hours but not at optimum performance.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is always a point where you loose sensitivity on a larger coil to smaller targets. Depth loose can come from coil shut down over very deep targets especially in larger coils working in a trashy area. I like the SEF coils.... they are fairly easy to PP as a DD coil and have good separation and sensitivity. I also like the narrower foot print. With the Sov disappearing it might get difficult to find these coils for the BBS machines.

Dew

Thanks! Good to know for the next purchase. Papa

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tune my excal to the beach I'm hunting no matter what coil i'm using, I hunt half the time with a wot other half with 12x15 sef butterfly. I personally see no difference as far as performance and depth.

Bscoop the excal I loaned you was charged over night and has NiMH 1500 mA battery not the stock battery, I get min of 12-14 hours on a full charge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tune my excal to the beach I'm hunting no matter what coil i'm using, I hunt half the time with a wot other half with 12x15 sef butterfly. I personally see no difference as far as performance and depth.

Bscoop the excal I loaned you was charged over night and has NiMH 1500 mA battery not the stock battery, I get min of 12-14 hours on a full charge.

It was a sweet running machine. :icon_thumleft:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Price wise the Coiltecs are much more expensive then the same size SEF at kellyco. Plus you get a free coil cover with the SEF.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread