Treasure Beach and Closures?

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Here's a question brought up by our friend Treasureguide on The Treasure Beaches Report From Florida's Treasure Coast. Metal Detecting For You.

"The shipwreck beaches in Indian River County were all closed this morning, from Amber Sands down through Turtle Trail. It was only the wreck beaches that were closed. Funny, isn't it?

There were cars waiting at all of those beach accesses this morning, including Wabasso etc., waiting for the access to open.

A lot of people ended up going to the beach at the state park at Sebastian because they couldn't get in anywhere else. I talked to locals as well as people that drove a long while to visit the wreck beaches and they weren't happy about it. What a shame!

The story I hear is that the wreck beaches are closed so one person who works for the county can detect it himself. I find it hard to believe that the county would allow that. I'd like to find out for sure so I can put the rumor to rest. If you can have details on the real story, let me know."

This guy is out there every day checking out the beaches and giving the best advice any of us could ever hope to get on a number of topics. If he feels something is up, then you can bet your bottom dollar, something is!

Anybody out there know something the rest of us don't know? If, so I'll pass it on...

Aquanut

Upvote 0

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I find it plausible. Small county. That rumor has been circulating for years, so there must be a basis in truth........

St. Lucie..went to John Brooks at low tide. Nothing. No serious cuts. Too much new sand. Even the dunes had the recent ocean bottom crap. Low tide there was a pronounced longshore slough, but heavy surf made it difficult.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Why not outfit a bicycle to hold your detector and gear and ride down to the Green Cabin Wreck and beyond. I heard that one guy back in 2004 used his helicopter to gain access to the closed beaches. Maybe outfit Zodiac raft with a 5- 10 hp O/B that will hold yourself and 2 friends. Launch from Sebastian Beach, motor down to desired location, pick up raft and place on beach. Hunt for a determined time, pick up raft, place in water and motor back.
That strictly for the determined TH'er that has the dough for such a venture. B)

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
I worked south Hutchinson island today and all the gates were open even to the colored wreck but just past the power plant they had the gate to the most popular dog beach (walton rocks ) locked. About 30 cars just parked on A1A and walked in anyway.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
john, i was wondering the same thing and seen his post today! i was down there from 12:30 am til 3:30 am Saturday night and went to turtle beach first but gates were closed and wrapped in police tape!!!! i thought about parking in the grass along the road and walking around the gate but headed back up to a gate near Sebastian inlet and climbed over that one (no police tape) i just figured they did it due to severe erosion and they were worried about lawsuits?

hunted a few different spots and had to hunt right against the dunes due to high/rough surf even a t low tide. could not swing the detector more than a foot without getting a signal. all modern green crusty clad coins!!!!
while im down for the cookout im gonna scout out some alternate sneaky beach access points!!!!!!
chuck.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
years ago I traveled down there right after 2 hurricanes hit - beaches were supposedly closed - mostly if you had a detector in your hands - police were telling people you could not do it - and were not allowing MOST vehicles to park for miles = I did find a spot so i walked down one stretch -no machine - trying to eyeball stuff - came across 3 guys that were leaving the beach with machines - since I did not have mine in hand - they were not afraid to tell me some goodies they found (they did get wreck goodies)- long story short - followed them back out - they were police officers
days later they allowed others to hit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread