Slip Sliding Away

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having the right stand up scoop with me at the beach is a never ending battle as I am more of an opportunist than disciplined hunter. I hunt dry sand, wet sand and in the water but do not want to bring more than one scoop to the beach as theft is a problem.

At this time, I am looking for the best standup scoop for retrieving on loose dry sand. I need a stand up scoop that is light in weight and easy to carry while trudging on the soft sand.

I suspect that I need a straight handle (not angled) as I would like to use it like a hoe pulling the sand to me. Ideally the scoop could be used both ways (pull and push). It is probable that the back of the aluminum bucket with stainless steel tip would be a wire cage to enable the soft sand to sift through.

Ideally, there would be a protective bar(s) so that the scoop could be pushed in with my foot. This way I could also use it on wet sand with care. This is not as important as its use on dry sand (optimized).

I would also like to be able to use it in the water (Knee to waist deep). This is least important to me. I suspect that this will be difficult as the diameter of the bucket will most likely be 5 inch or less to save weight.

I have access to other more specialized scoops:
- Wide mouth A stainless steel bucket 1/4 inch holes with 48 inch handle for retrieving in waist to chin high water with an Xcal ( have difficulty pin pointing).

- Grim Reaper A scary sharply pointed stainless steel bucket 1/2 inch holes on a 52 inch stick.

And still have Oldie - An aluminum light weight stand up scoop, which I started out with (six inch bucket 5/8 inch drain holes) - adding stainless steel lip to extend it's life and cut easier into hardpack sand. It is as close to an all around scoop that I have been able to find, but does not drain well, and is difficult to pull with because of it's 20 degree angle handle

The problem is that I can only bring one of the above scoops with me as I usually hunt alone.

As always thank you for reading and your great and helpful recommendation(s).

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can only take one scoop I would take a good water scoop, a sand scoop will be close to useless in the water, and a water scoop can be used on the sand. You could take a small sand scoop with you if you felt you had to have it with a water scoop and just put the sand scoop on your back in a sling when not in use.

I wear a camelbak for water when I hunt that is on my back, my detector bungie attaches to it, it would be easy to slide a sand scoop down my back in it if I wanted to.....

Pinpointing should not be affected by your scoop...... Practice more pinpointing.....

You can always add more holes to a scoop that doesnt drain....... I never drag my scoop towards me to recover, even in dry sand, pinpoint and dig....I only drag my scoop when I am pattern hunting.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't have a scoop that is perfect in all situations. Like TH said, pick the one that will work in the worst environment (the water scoop).

If you want lightwieght, it won't be durable in difficult areas.
If you want a big scoop for easy first-scoop target recovery, it won't be lightweight.
If you need a water scoop, you can't use a sand scoop.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used many scoops and it is difficult to settle on just one for dry sand and water. As TH said carrying two is the better choice. Beachmaster water scoop.jpg This Beach Master works fine in the dry sand but when your in the surf you need a larger basket to remove lots of sand at a time before the next wave fills in the hole. http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgscoops.htm
Work Scoop.jpg This is the type that I use on swim areas inland that have fabric under the sand so the scoop doesn't damage the fabric. You pull it toward you an sand sifts through the half inch screening to leave the ring in the scoop. Handle is 6 foot long for using two hands, one for the top and the other to pull it toward you. It would be worthless in the ocean. The Sunspot Stealth is great in the wet sand when you are near the water as the water helps sift the sand through the holes and you don't need to shake it. That would soon tire ya out anyway. Sunspot Smaller.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread