people who ask questions

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I was at the beach today and a woman walked up , and with a very serious look on her face, asked if I was digging clams.
Now look, I am holding a $1,000 dollar metal detector with a $200 dollar coil and wearing headphones…
My question is. When did they start making clam detectors?
I think the Florida sun was a bit to much for her today. Never a dull moment.
I guess we all get strange questions from time to time but this was a first for me.

HH
Dale

Upvote 0

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I kind of like that on better than the standard “finding anything”

How’ did you respond?? With a straight face??

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Bet your sorry now that you purchased one
of those water detectors without the
clam mode ;) :P ;D

have a good un...........

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Actually, they need to invent a clamshell attachment to do the digging without bending over. :)

I guess we see and hear something new almost every day doing this thing we do.

Smiles!
BDoo

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had a guy ask me if I was finding any Steelhead while I was wading. He kept a straight face too, I couldn't.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
next person like that tell them your looking for land mines. ::)

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I told her I was looking for gold clams. ;D

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm usually chest deep in water with headphones on and swimmers think I'm listening to "THE GAME" ::). My floating sifting box is usually nearby. They get confused when I bring my scoop up and dump the contents in the box :D.
Actually I did find a string of conchs once in the form of a gold tennis bracelet :o. Alway like finding those types of shells.
Another beach to dig up "shells" is Lido Key in Sarasota. They are .50 caliber 'shells' left over when that beach was used as a gunnery range for World War 2 fighter planes. Targets were set up on the beach in the form of German Panzer tanks and trucks. I explained that once to a German tourist, lol. ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although I don't search Beaches.

I always stop to answer questions as Completly & honestly
as possable. even the "Geiger Counter" & "Land Mine" Comments.

Some will Just say "A few Coins or a Few Trinkets" when asked
what they found.

I not only show what I found, but also tell them
what I found there in the past.

The longer the conversation, the more chance of getting a lead.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had a guy ask me if I was looking for scrap metal while I was working a tear down. Scrap metal, now doesn't that sound like fun.

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
Nope! I just wave this thing over the ground and the clams come to the top so I can pick them up without digging! Here's your sign.

anteater

Dec 2, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Beach Magnet, Compass Magnum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RE: Beach Interruptions
My favorite beach interruptor was the guy on St. Petersburg's public beach who didn't believe me when I told him I was hunting for coins. He asked me to turn around, so he could bury a dime. And then he asked me to find it to prove that I really was using a metal detector(Compass Magnum, 20 years ago). I found it easily, and should have kept it, but he was too quick and snatched it out of my sand scoop.

trubl1096

Oct 17, 2006
Landlocked
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x/ Aquapulse/ WHITE'S II
My friends and I have been asked if we are looking for diving moose while we are searching for treasure. Some say they can dive to 75 feet and hold their breath for several minutes. I'm just thinking are you stupid?

Their hair coat is hollow and bouyant, they don't have flippers or webbed feet, and they have large lungs which when filled with air only add to their bouyancy. If you watch moose feeding in water that's over their shoulders when they reach for the vegetation they are completely underwater. In video footage in which the moose is obviously swimming and trieing to "dive" for vegetation. It's butt keeps bobbing to the surface and it's obviously having a very hard time getting far from the surface. The moose who dives 75 feet probably got an aqualung and dive belt for the holidays. ;D

skalleewag

Dec 4, 2006
TREASURE COAST, FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I HAD A GUY THE OTHER DAY WHO TOLD ME MY DETECTOR WAS MESSIN WITH HIS WIFES BRAINWAVES!!!! I KID YOU NOT! SO I MOVED DOWN BEACH LAFFIN ALL THE WAY....................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions