Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out Sunday to a beach north of us. Hardly any targets in the water except pull tabs and some cans. In chest deep water I dug a set of keys with a Navy Dog Tag and a flash drive. Wanting to return the dog tags I searched for the name in local counties and found one that matched. No phone number was provided so I looked up the subdivision he lived in and called his neighbor. I got a call the next day and it was his dog tags and keys he lost 2 months ago. He said he had to break into his car and hot wire it to get home the day he lost the keys. He was excited about getting back his Navy Dog Tag, he said that was what he missed the most.
I put the flash drive in rice after washing with fresh water and tumbled and polished the dog tag and keys. The flash drive works!! Sending him the dog tag and attachments today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done!! WGT

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
Another good turn by Les. When you get up yonder, a long time from now there will be an xcal and a big scoop waiting for you, with calm warm waters the year round

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have missed my Navy dog tags if I lost them. In my day they were made out of wood. :laughing7: You did a good deed Les. :thumbsup:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Les. Dog tags are something that become a part of you when you are in the service.

Dew

OP
OP
Les West Central Fl

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Les. Dog tags are something that become a part of you when you are in the service.

Dew
I wish I had my old dog tags from the Navy. The one I found are different than the ones issued to me back in the late 50's. The owner of the tags I found was super happy to know I found them and was returning them to him.

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
way to go!!! i was air force and i know what memories can be attached to things. thanks

TxMike

Mar 6, 2005
Columbus, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's
Fisher
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Good Karma, Les!

And good PR for MD'ers.

Maybe submit a quick story to the local paper for an easy "human interest" story for them and positive publicity for us.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice return Les.

OP
OP
Les West Central Fl

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the photo off because now the dog tags have the person's social security number and they were clear on the photo. He called me when he received his tags and keys. I was told it was the happiest moment ever, since he thought they were lost forever. He also stated that same day he got the tags back , he had just gotten a job again, he had been unemployed 3 years. That made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of missed mine too if they were made out of wood!

You must of been from the black shoe navy, as an air dale (brown shoe Navy) I did not particularly like mine - even though they were dull finished they reflected light , were cold when put on, and worse of all clattered which is not something that you would like to carry if shot down.

I definitely preferred them to my replacement dog tags from the Air Force as the Navy identified me my service number. While my Air Force dog tags indentified me by my social security number - which I detest, because of identity theft, if lost.

But wood, now that is something that I never knew about and would really liked to of carried as they are naturally stealthy and even float in water. What a brilliant idea, I wonder why the services discontinued using them? I suspect most likely to standardize or look pretty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread