What do you cold water hunters wear?

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Upvote 0

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was wondering the same. I would guess wetsuit as chest waders would allow waves to soak your body. I have been looking at wetsuits but, being from Ohio, I know nothing about them. I've been in NC for over 11 weeks this year and look forward to wading the Atlantic. Good luck and H.H.!

HUNTER12

May 24, 2011
I wear breathable boot foot chest high waders. always a wader belt. Good pair of wader pants,heavy socks. topside i wear warm insulating cloths,that tuck in the waders. then i wear a slicker or a water proof wading jacket. Basicly the same stuff i wear truot fishing in the winter. In the surf i stay very dry. Ohhh, and good waterfowl gloves or guantlets. good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 different wet suits, a shorty, a 3/4 length leg an sleeve and a full farmer john 3 mill suits and dive boots. I have hunted in the Atlantic when water temperatures were in low to mid 50s in my farmer john suit and been very comfortable, according to charts your water temp is about the same.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
My cold weather gear. Mustang Survival Mac-200, Mutifabs Aviation Suit, Mustang Survival MSD900. All from Ebay, New w/tags only. Best time to buy or look for them is early fall. Also, I go one size larger, XL, easier to get in and out of, A big plus is a front zipper, easier again. Pee zippers are a plus but rare. I don't like the long green gloves, so Just got a set of Red Polar Paws, thanks to CraigPI on these, much easier to grip and pull that treasure from the scoop. The neoprene gloves are fine but wet, and cold don't mix, for me. The neoprene head gear works great but does lessen the audio. Bottom line is staying warm going to the water, in the water, and walking back.
DSC_8260.jpg DSC_8415.JPG

DSC_8425.jpg SNAG-.jpg

A recent hunter on another forum just bought a drysuit off of ebay, 18kRonin..his words.
Turned out it's a perfect suit for water hunting, hunted for 17 hours over 3 days and stayed warm and dry the whole time hunting up to neck deep. I've been using wetsuits for over 30 years from steamers to full 7mm and this is my first Drysuit can't believe the difference, a lot more comfortable and easier to move in than a thick winter wetsuit. Was wearing just enough warm clothes on underneath to keep warm in the water but not sweat and be toasty warm out of the water on breaks.
Love not having to get into a wet wetsuit on a cold morning and not getting out of the water shivering.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on weather conditions and the type detecting is what you wear. If the temperature is freezing ( under 35 degrees ) and no rough waves I use waders and only go waist deep. If the weather is in the 40's I go in with a 7mm wet suit and hunt up to my chest.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive not been doing this as long as many on here. I have a full and shortie wet suit..... they must be 4 or 5 mm, but once that tee shirt i wear under there gets cold up the back of my neck.... im cold. You do need to ensure you get the right fit.... cant have a lot of air space or it fills with water expands and more fills with water... by time you get out you feel the whole suit drain. What does everyone wear as a shirt under the wet suit??? As long as my chest is warm im ok, but let my upper body especially by back get cold thats it till i warm up a bit.

Dew

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cold weather gear. Mustang Survival Mac-200, Mutifabs Aviation Suit, Mustang Survival MSD900. All from Ebay, New w/tags only. Best time to buy or look for them is early fall. Also, I go one size larger, XL, easier to get in and out of, A big plus is a front zipper, easier again. Pee zippers are a plus but rare. I don't like the long green gloves, so Just got a set of Red Polar Paws, thanks to CraigPI on these, much easier to grip and pull that treasure from the scoop. The neoprene gloves are fine but wet, and cold don't mix, for me. The neoprene head gear works great but does lessen the audio. Bottom line is staying warm going to the water, in the water, and walking back.
View attachment 696995 View attachment 696996

View attachment 696997 View attachment 696998

A recent hunter on another forum just bought a drysuit off of ebay, 18kRonin..his words.
Very nice!! You are my hero!!!
So you have great stuffs.
Hoping you find much gold.

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
WOW! Thanks for all the help guys. I just spent the afternoon at three dive shops in Raleigh, N.C. and all suggested the drysuit since I would be in and out of water. None had one in my size in stock or they would have sold it to me today. One guy suggested that I could buy the hoody and poke holes in a circle where the headphones would go and then cut out a hole just big enough to hear tnose small gold sounds. What do you think? Will that work or cause more problems than it would solve.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure about the holes, They audio is less but I would wait and see if it affected the hunting. I Made this for a diver, may make some more down the road once all is in place. It slips under the hood..

. DSC_9213 (2).JPG scott1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone and especially OBN for all the good info on this thread. I bought a used Viking drysuit off of eBay last night. Boots are made on suit. Got an undergarment liner and hood and a dry storage bag to carry everything in. May have to try insulated undergarment out in my area to figure out if I need a second one for the right amount of warmth for different conditions.I also have a dive mask if I need it for waves splashing me in the face. Only thing left is to order some of the red paw gloves to complete the package. Got two weeks off starting last week in November. So if any of you happen to be around your favorite beach at that time and see some crazy fool in a space suit wading in the surf with red paws, it might just be me.

john434

Nov 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt see where you bought a dive mask. But if you didnt their not that exspensive or you can go to a motorcycle shop and get a full face pull over. I bought my full face pull over at scubapro they run small. So if you wear a large you better get a x-large.. I do dive and when I use my metal detector I cut out a small hole on my left ear just barely fits through. I didnt do the other side I cant hardly hear out of it anyway. I guess you could. But thats just what I did and I wear dive gloves have both cold water and warm water. look on ebay first before you buy new save money. Hope this helps.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for me it was all about having to pee and if u drink to much coffee/etc it is going to happen.
i have waders - i likem, but.........i also wear a waterproof dry kayak top - waterproof neck and wrist and warm stuff underneath.
but
90% of the time, i were a 5mm or 7mm farmer john wet suit and above same dry top -peeing is no problem.
5mm is plenty warm for va and nc and much easier to move in........i do wear 7mm boots
look at leisure pro for accessories and maybe suits, but i have found............WET WEAR in fl. to be the best at suits of any sort - custom made - just google and call her.....great lady

i have always wanted to dry a nice dry suit, but have not yet.........
jmho

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also..........5mm and 7mm GLOVES...........your hands must be kept warm.............some guys i know use long rubber gloves that are arm lenght......i plan on trying a pair this winter also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions