CZ-21 Tone Variations

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was browsing some reading material today when I came across a piece discussing the tone variations offered by the Excalibur and it made me wonder, “why is nobody discussing these same tone variations in regards to the CZ-21?” I wondered this because the CZ-21 does indeed offer the user a wide variety of tone variations when hunting in discrimination mode. While it is true that the CZ-21 is basically a three tone machine with high, medium, and low tones, it is also true that the depth within each of these tone ranges can vary quite a bit depending on the target being identified. So why is this never being discussed in regards to the CZ-21? I use both the Excal and the CZ-21 a lot and I would say that the CZ-21 offers just as much tone variation as the Excal, yet it never seems to get any credit in this arena. Just curious as to why?

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my CZ21 back in March but Im learning it has different tones within tones. A dime definately has a different sound than other high tone targets.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my CZ21 back in March but Im learning it has different tones within tones. A dime definately has a different sound than other high tone targets.

I notice a lot of difference in the mid-tones, some are flat and dull, some are thin and bouncy, some are more of a "bong", and some are very sharp & dense...and these I really like hearing!:laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I love my CZ's in some places, but for me the excalibur has more spread (detail) on it's tones. What I like about the Cz is it's my goto detector for places where there is a limited amount of time to hunt,.... A Great Cherry Picker. I just wonder if one xpermented with the head phones, one could get more variations from the CZ's audio. One thing about the Cz is deep gold in the disc mode will come up as iron.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"One thing about the Cz is deep gold in the disc mode will come up as iron. " Awe now you done it and told a secret. Like most detectors that have tones and screens, deep targets don't id accurately on audio or on a silly screen. your better off if it makes a noise to dig it. This is where the Excal shines as it only makes sounds on none iron unless it is large.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing about the Cz is deep gold in the disc mode will come up as iron.

Let me help you out with that. The CZ-21 is a motion machine, which also includes, "up and down". Over deep iron tones simply center the coil over the target with the coil flat on the ground and then bounce it up and down over the target as you tightly explore the target signature. If it's iron the tone will lock on iron, if it's questionable at all the CZ will offer you broken tones, or multiple tones. This same technique will also work on most other deep targets, even deep slaw and cans that offer good tones otherwise. I hunt in discrimination mode as I have experienced no added depth advantage to hunting in all metal and with this above technique I'm confident I don't miss any deep gold the CZ can signal on. However, when in doubt I always dig.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Bigscoop for the tip, I will try that!!

A few of us gathered on the Cold Jersey Coast last Janurary and learned alot about the CZ20/21, The big was if tuned correctly in Discrimate, it was deeper in that mode then AllMetal at this beach, OC NJ. Another it was deeper then the excalibur on Gold, but the deep gold at 15 inch's came up as Iron with the CZ21. And it could ID it at 14 along with the excalibur. After 14 with the excal, it was not a signal you would stop for. This was the wetsand only on a 7.5g 14k mens band.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info!!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bigscoop for the tip, I will try that!!

A few of us gathered on the Cold Jersey Coast last Janurary and learned alot about the CZ20/21, The big was if tuned correctly in Discrimate, it was deeper in that mode then AllMetal at this beach, OC NJ. Another it was deeper then the excalibur on Gold, but the deep gold at 15 inch's came up as Iron with the CZ21. And it could ID it at 14 along with the excalibur. After 14 with the excal, it was not a signal you would stop for. This was the wetsand only on a 7.5g 14k mens band.

Last year I had the chance to spend a great deal of time on my beaches with both the CZ-21 with 10.5 coil and Excalibur with a WOT coil. (Since finds were so lacking I spent a lot of time testing both machines. :laughing7:) Anyway, in summary, the CZ is a great machine for yellow gold as long as the swing speed can be maintained, once the swing speed is slowed too much it has a very hard time with white gold and fine gold. The Excalibur didn't have this same issue. Swing speed is also critical to achieving maximum depth with the CZ-21 and it can make a big difference. On one occasion I buried a nickel about 5 - 6" deep in the sand in a pool of flowing saltwater. With the disc set at 5 and using a very relaxed swing speed the CZ could be passed right over it without so much as a blip. Increase that swing speed to a fast sweep and it was reading it at around 8 - 9 inches. Swing speed is very relavent to depth with the CZ-21. But here's the kicker, when it couldn't read that nickel at 5 - 6" with the slower speed, it could easily find it and read it when the coil was bounced. I'm not sure if it's because I am forcing the signal deeper into the ground, all I can tell you is that it works and that I have used this technique with both the 20 & 21 for over 20 years. The CZ-21 with 10.5 coil will also rival the Excal and WOT on depth on typical yellow gold and silver items as long as a fast to moderate swing speed can be maintained, but it is not as sensitive to fine gold or white gold. Typically I set my CZ in disc at "0" and sensitivity to "8" and once I hit an iron tone I switch disc to "1" and impart the bounce technique. If the tone remains as iron I will usually pass on it unless the signature is small, if the tone becomes broken or if I start getting multiple tones I will dig the target. Basically, I am still digging all but the most obvious iron tones.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my CZ21 in all metal 90% of the time and mainly only use the ID tone mode to check large targets
I feel I get good depth and had one of my best years for gold this year - and 90% of that is "old" gold

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my CZ21 in all metal 90% of the time and mainly only use the ID tone mode to check large targets
I feel I get good depth and had one of my best years for gold this year - and 90% of that is "old" gold

No doubt you've had a stellar year, but would it also be fair to say that most of the gold you've found has been chunkier gold and/or yellow gold? I only ask because I would be very curious to know the results if you were to go through those same hunting areas all over again with a machine that was more sensitive to fine gold and white gold. I love the CZ because it is a beast on denser yellow gold objects and silver objects, but I have also found far more white gold and fine gold with the Excal. So I would be very curious to know in light of your great year what may still be out there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread