Help IDing This Cool Azz Rogers Spoon Found Pre Sandy ???

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this really cool spoon on the beach about a week before Sandy rolled in...I have never seen one quite like it and can't quite figure out the markings...
It came out the water/sand pretty much just the way you see it, with just a rinsing...I don't think it's silver as it has no markings as such, but it looks pretty old and based on it's condition I would think it has to have some silver or pewter content...

The hallmarks read ROGERS with Anchors on each side & 12 oz

My google of that hallmark brought me to a couple of items dating to the late 1800's...
So I'm guesssing the piece is from that similiar period..

Then the next question would be is what does the engravings on the front mean ???

It is marked 23 J. & G. BEW.

I don't think it is part of Captain Hook's cutlery, but just thought it was a pretty cool find for the beach and would love to know more about it' history.... 8-)

Any help or clues would be appreciated....Thanks :)

RogersSpoonJ2PG.jpg

RogersSpoon.jpg

RogersSpoonJ1PG.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigpoppa

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since it was raining yesterday morning, I decided to do some of my own research using the famous Google...Google and the web are such amazing research tools, that it's hard to believe how much info can be acquired...
Here are some new conclusions that I have came up with at this point...
The Rogers Hallmark with the Anchors on each side are pretty famous and based on other items I see on the web, I still believe that this spoon dates to the late 1800's...
The Anchor hallmarks appears to originate from the UK, possibly Birmingham , England...
The 12 oz markings I'm still not positive on , but I have seen dealers decsribe it as silver plate, which makes sense as it is not marked anything representative of Sterling...The strange part is that none of the finish is worn away on any part..I have found other silver plated more recent flatware at the beach and it usually shows many signs of corrosion from the salt water..
Maybe it was just the quality back in that time period or maybe the spoon layed somewhere that partially protected it from the elements for many years...
Now to move on to the J. & B. BEW
I now believe that this is a family name and is engraved as such for a set of better flatware from the time period...
This would make alot more sense now to me as originally it was the #23 that was confusing me..
I researched ancestry in the area and I found a James T. Bew that was born in 1858 and resided in the Atlantic County area as shown on a 1920 census..
I also found a J.T. Bew on a 1901 census from the UK England...
That is an interesting coincidence, since the flatware derived from the UK and now this man (if it's the same man) resides in the area that I found the spoon..
The G. Bew, would be most likely his wife, so there is no way to trace her since I don't know her maiden name..
I also found a William Bew that was born in 1918, possibly a relative, that shows up on a 1940 census...He also resided in the area..
The only question now is why a number 23 marked on it ??
I can see it possibly being numbered as part of a set, but why would you boldly engrave it on the front next to the owners name ??
It sort of takes away from the beauty of a personalized set, but then again it is not the most ornate set either, as Rogers Bros made some beautiful items from that time period..
Anyways I found the whole reasearch of the item and the posssible clues and answers to be quite fascinating...
My next stop will be a couple of the local Historical Societies in the area as an old friend of mine is actually the President of one of them..He also has been in the area his whole life, so I am curious as to what he has to say..It might be that there are still some descendants of the family still living in the area..
I just love finding this kind of stuff :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread