Im always filing my holes.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always filing my holes.

Hello:
HOPING understand Hamid..

This picture i published it in 5 february 2012 on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...3518009&type=3
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...3518009&type=3

I explain the situation and no persons understand me! So in this beach when i hunted last month, no persons and its wild beach. The hight tide fil the holes in just minutes.
i'm always filing my holes. I know the ethics of detection.
Im master of detection.

Thank you.
Happy hunting!!

Attachments

• Filling holes.jpg
    Filling holes.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Job on the filled holes Hamid.........:icon_thumright:

Hamid, I went thur the same thing several years ago when I posted a video of hunting a winter beach, with No one on the beach except me, And the next tide all would be filled if left. Many did not take the time to watch the complete video where I went back thur and filled all of the holes at the end of the second video. Hole filling is a senstive subject here in the US because we have learned some would do anything to keep us off public land & beach's and even thought the kids and adults never fill there fun holes we must protect are image as Safety minded Treasure Hunters. Some comments from my youtube post.

. OBN0001.jpg

OP
OP
hamiddetecting

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job on the filled holes Hamid.........:icon_thumright:

Hamid, I went thur the same thing several years ago when I posted a video of hunting a winter beach, with No one on the beach except me, And the next tide all would be filled if left. Many did not take the time to watch the complete video where I went back thur and filled all of the holes at the end of the second video. Hole filling is a senstive subject here in the US because we have learned some would do anything to keep us off public land & beach's and even thought the kids and adults never fill there fun holes we must protect are image as Safety minded Treasure Hunters. Some comments from my youtube post.

. View attachment 700337

Thank you Joe!!!:icon_thumright::thumbsup::icon_thumleft:

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Don't worry about it Hamid. Most of these people criticizing probably don't understand your situation. I am sure you would fill in your holes if they needed to be. Enjoy your find posts and your video and would like to see more about your location.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hamid,

Good job......I certainly have no problem understanding what you are saying....don't sweat it.
When the tide comes in everything gets filled in like you weren't even there and this is off season detecting without
a soul on the beach.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
hamiddetecting

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about it Hamid. Most of these people criticizing probably don't understand your situation. I am sure you would fill in your holes if they needed to be. Enjoy your find posts and your video and would like to see more about your location.
Thank you very much!!

OP
OP
hamiddetecting

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hamid,

Good job......I certainly have no problem understanding what you are saying....don't sweat it.
When the tide comes in everything gets filled in like you weren't even there and this is off season detecting without
a soul on the beach.

Regards + HH

Bill
Thank you very much!!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hamid, no offense, but even filled in, those are some rather large holes you have there.

Are you using a back hoe to dig :tongue3:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Hammid i agree with you, but not everyone does. My opinion, based on what i've taken off the net, is that this is a communication gap along with some narrow minded thinking on their part. Some see those holes and can relate it only to their beaches and their situation.

Sometimes on empty beaches my group will not fill holes just above the high tide line of an incoming tide. 5 minutes later those holes are filled by mother nature. We know that, and we know we are the only ones on the beach, but if we took a picture and posted it we'd get blown off the net by the fill your holes police. And, to be clear on this, we do fill our holes. Just not always the ones the next incoming set of waves will fill for us. So i'm totally with you on this.

That said, and in defense of the fill your holes police, the anti access beach coalition will use anything to get us thrown off. AS i mentioned on another thread surf fisherman peeing on the lawns of beachfront properties was enough to get surf fishing restricted on that beach. How many surf fisherman used the lawns instead of a men's room? One or two? But that's all it took. It seems there are these one two or three fisherman at almost every beach. Guys who don't care about the rules. They ruin it for all. THat is what we are up against here in some parts of the country. For that reason maybe what you got in reaction to your video was over reaction.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: The cat always covers-up her litter-box holes! :cat:

'Cept them underwater ones, them, ya might fall off in to! LOL!
I got kids on the beach here, leave bigger holes building sand-castles, than what I can dig!
If you a regular somewhere, them life-guards and patrol officers, know who is who. Or is that just me?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite poster is one of Albert Einstein with a puzzling expression on his face.
Written at the bottom is this phrase written in large bold type:" PERFECTION OF MEANS AND CONFUSION OF GOALS SEEMS TO PERSONIFY OUR AGE."

Even when one follow metal detecting guidelines for ethics and customary practices one should use common sense.
From this and other post(s) you can see that Hamid properly fills and firms the holes
he has created. I have noticed that he does a better job of filling in the holes he makes at the beach than our county does in filling in its potholes on the road which can not only damage your car, but often puts those who use such poorly maintained roads at risk.

It is obvious that Hamid used common sense in the video (which is uncommon in today's world), as there was no one on the beach except him and associates. It was less obvious that this was a race against time to recover as many coins as possible before the water rose and filled in all holes which were created .

It is regretful that I cannot apologize for those who caused Hamid such pain, obviously they lack the skills or sensitivity to effectively communicate, or simply do not care enough to be polite. They are the ones at fault as far as metal detecting ethics are concerned.

Sharing any skill which is mastered, is a two edged sword: there is great joy from being accepted and acknowledged, and there is great pain from caustic and negative comments from those who are jealous, or do not understand. Only in a perfect world can You have one without the other.

Hamid's postings are evidence that he has mastered the disciplines of treasure hunting ( knowing where to hunt, knowing how to hunt, and knowing how to effectively retrieve treasure ) on dry sand and wet sand on the beaches in his geographic area. From earlier posts have proven that he is highly skilled and very adaptable, I would expect him to excel on the dry and wet sand at any beach he hunts worldwide.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite poster is one of Albert Einstein with a puzzling expression on his face.
Written at the bottom is this phrase written in large bold type:" PERFECTION OF MEANS AND CONFUSION OF GOALS SEEMS TO PERSONIFY OUR AGE."

Even when one follow metal detecting guidelines for ethics and customary practices one should use common sense.
From this and other post(s) you can see that Hamid properly fills and firms the holes
he has created. I have noticed that he does a better job of filling in the holes he makes at the beach than our county does in filling in its potholes on the road which can not only damage your car, but often puts those who use such poorly maintained roads at risk.

It is obvious that Hamid used common sense in the video (which is uncommon in today's world), as there was no one on the beach except him and associates. It was less obvious that this was a race against time to recover as many coins as possible before the water rose and filled in all holes which were created .

It is regretful that I cannot apologize for those who caused Hamid such pain, obviously they lack the skills or sensitivity to effectively communicate, or simply do not care enough to be polite. They are the ones at fault as far as metal detecting ethics are concerned.

Sharing any skill which is mastered, is a two edged sword: there is great joy from being accepted and acknowledged, and there is great pain from caustic and negative comments from those who are jealous, or do not understand. Only in a perfect world can You have one without the other.

Hamid's postings are evidence that he has mastered the disciplines of treasure hunting ( knowing where to hunt, knowing how to hunt, and knowing how to effectively retrieve treasure ) on dry sand and wet sand on the beaches in his geographic area. From earlier posts have proven that he is highly skilled and very adaptable, I would expect him to excel on the dry and wet sand at any beach he hunts worldwide.
Well said :icon_scratch:

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post! well done! Spoken like a true gentleman.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, maybe it's just me, but those appear to be more than just mere holes, they are more like craters. What are you pulling up car parts :dontknow:

Judging from your photo's, I can see where you've been for a few hundred yards. Yes, yards; not feet. Granted it's nice you fill in your holes, but why not try and make them a little smaller. God forbid you forget to fill one in, I can see someone falling in and never getting out from that size.

Let's get over the idea of being an expert on filling holes, anyone can replace sand and I'm glad he does. However start using your magical powers to dig smaller holes :laughing7:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fill my holes after each retrieval for four reason(s):metaldetector::
1) Stealth - I do not want to make it easy for competing dectionists to determine my pattern when detecting on wet sand, and I don't want to leave any traces on dry sand that I have even been there.
2) Esthetics - I want the beaches to look natural and undisturbed as before I detected.
3) Service - I remove junk to make the bleacher safer for others (especially children).
4) Efficiency - I will not have to dig the same trash, the next time I return.

Even though I consider myself a salvager rather than a metal detectionist as I need to supplement my income. I follow metal detecting guide lines for ethics and customary practices where applicable.

:flag_pink:I strongly believe that a more assertive and aggressive posture is needed advocating salvage and metal detecting interests. Just being nice and filling in holes/following ethics is not going to cut it

:flag_orange:History has repeatedly shown that one loses what one is not willing to fight for. Simply put in a Humphrey Bogart film: "Rights We have no Stinking Rights".

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious: :dontknow:

1) Do any of you shallow water hunters fill holes when out in the water?

2) What do you do with the sharp shells/dead pieces of coral in your
scoop:

a) dump them along side the hole?
b) try to put them back into the hole?
c) put them back into the hole then fill hole up?

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spartacus:

How important is it that the holes be small on this beach or any beach if the holes are filled in and the ground is firmly packed? :icon_scratch:

If it is very important then treasure hunters from New England to the Gulf of Mexico and from the Gulf to our Western Beaches, don't forget Alaska and Hawaii, and the whole world just to be fair should not use more than the minimal size five inch basket on their scoop. Further they should stop scooping before the sides collapse widening the hole. Beyond further, no one should be allowed to dig within the distance that a six foot or taller person with 20 20 vision can see the change in color of the hole that has been filled and packed so that no pattern would not be noticeable. :sadsmiley:

Even though there are large buildings in the background of this picture, it does not look like this would be a beach where swimmers or bathers would go as there are no facilities. In fact, I am not able to see dry sand where beach goers could lay their towels, nor waves to play in. I would not expect the wet sand beach to be this wide, as the tides should be minimal as Morocco should be close to the Equator. To me it looks like distance between the low tide and high tide marks is especially wide and the area rich in targets possibly as a result of the constriction at the straights of Gibraltar.:idea1:

From an earlier video, I have noticed Hamid using a Sovereign detector with a standard 10 inch DD Tornado search coil (wide field) which is more difficult to pin point with than a concentric coil of the same diameter. Because of this difficulty many beach hunters who hunt with a Sovereign/Excalibur with this go to beach wide field coil use a 9 inch or wider basket for their scoop. This increases their odds of being able to retrieve a target on the first scoop. This is especially important to shallow water hunters as it is difficult to hold your position when there are waves or strong currents. :key:

:4leafclover:The magical power that a treasure hunter needs is being able to retrieve a coin or ring before it sinks to deep to be recovered. It often takes two to three scoops, just to get the target out of the hole and up to five scoops if the target is deep.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hamiddetecting

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spartacus:

How important is it that the holes be small on this beach or any beach if the holes are filled in and the ground is firmly packed? :icon_scratch:

If it is very important then treasure hunters from New England to the Gulf of Mexico and from the Gulf to our Western Beaches, don't forget Alaska and Hawaii, and the whole world just to be fair should not use more than the minimal size five inch basket on their scoop. Further they should stop scooping before the sides collapse widening the hole. Beyond further, no one should be allowed to dig within the distance that a six foot or taller person with 20 20 vision can see the change in color of the hole that has been filled and packed so that no pattern would not be noticeable. :sadsmiley:

Even though there are large buildings in the background of this picture, it does not look like this would be a beach where swimmers or bathers would go as there are no facilities. In fact, I am not able to see dry sand where beach goers could lay their towels, nor waves to play in. I would not expect the wet sand beach to be this wide, as the tides should be minimal as Morocco should be close to the Equator. To me it looks like distance between the low tide and high tide marks is especially wide and the area rich in targets possibly as a result of the constriction at the straights of Gibraltar.:idea1:

From an earlier video, I have noticed that Hamid using a Sovereign detector with a standard 10 inch DD Tornado search coil (wide field) which is more difficult to pin point with than a concentric coil of the same diameter. Because of this difficulty many beach hunters who hunt with a Sovereign/Excalibur with this wide field coil prefer a 9 inch or wider basket on their scoop. This increases their odds of being able to retrieve a target on the first scoop. This is especially important to shallow water hunters as it is difficult to hold your position when there are waves or strong currents. :key:

:4leafclover:The magical power that a treasure hunter needs is being able to retrieve a coin or ring before it sinks to deep to be recovered. It often takes two to three scoops, just to get the target out of the hole and up to five scoops if the target is deep.
Im very happy with these comments so i'll publish my video again and i dedicate to you.
Your are the best, one day i visit you. Hoping soon.
Your friend hamid.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Just curious: :dontknow:

1) Do any of you shallow water hunters fill holes when out in the water?

2) What do you do with the sharp shells/dead pieces of coral in your
scoop:

a) dump them along side the hole?
b) try to put them back into the hole?
c) put them back into the hole then fill hole up?

The sand instantly refills the hole. One problem with digging in the water is staying ahead of the sand as it refills the hole. Another is staying on target. Doing this is a skill learned only from experience. Losing targets is a frustrating part of the learning curve. A curve i'm still very much on. I will add that my shallow water experience is limited to hunting the ocean in the breaker zone or just beyond. So, possibly, different experiences for different situations.

As for sharp objects, they always come home with me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions