Okinawa MD Question

harpda

Nov 24, 2012
Asia
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm new to MD'ing on Okinawa and was interested to know if anyone has tried it on any of the resort hotel beaches. I assume that you have to be staying at the hotel to actually use their beach but you never know considering how polite the Japanese are. To those who MD in okinawa, have you ever tried it on resort beaches like Moon Beach, etc.? Any feedback would be great.

Also, what are the most crowded beaches on Okinawa?

I just ordered a metal detector today from amazon.com and can't wait to get out there and start finding 500 Yen coins!

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a guy on another forum I think that lives on Okinawa and TH's

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
I've hunted a few resort beaches here on Okinawa. Security is the main issue.

OP
OP
H

harpda

Nov 24, 2012
Asia
Primary Interest:
I've hunted a few resort beaches here on Okinawa. Security is the main issue.

Thanks for the reply Bobbypins. I see; i've been searching around and see that you can go in but they usually have an entrance fee if you aren't a guest. That can range from 300 Y to 1000 Y.

Are there many people who MD around here? I've read that the locals don't. It seems like an ideal situation considering they have 500 Y coins and then there is little competition.

I'm stoked and my MD can't get here fast enough.

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Moon beach is ¥500 to park and ¥500 per person last I checked. I had to leave after I was approached!

OP
OP
H

harpda

Nov 24, 2012
Asia
Primary Interest:
Moon beach is ¥500 to park and ¥500 per person last I checked. I had to leave after I was approached!

Did they make you leave after you paid; or did you not pay? If I pay money to access their beach then I would expect to be able to MD. I could understand if I were digging up a garden but it's just sand.

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
harpda said:
Did they make you leave after you paid; or did you not pay? If I pay money to access their beach then I would expect to be able to MD. I could understand if I were digging up a garden but it's just sand.

There are no refunds! Japanese get really spooked around metal detectors. The only time they see one is when they are looking for unexploded WW2 ordinance. Just heard they just found more by my house (yomitan), they are blowing it up Friday.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember reading one story about a guy MDing okinawa.He sat down in the sand to rest,couldnt get comfortable because of something hard beneath the surface,turned out he was sitting on a 16inch unexploded projectile. :laughing9:

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Red James cash said:
I remember reading one story about a guy MDing okinawa.He sat down in the sand to rest,couldnt get comfortable because of something hard beneath the surface,turned out he was sitting on a 16inch unexploded projectile. :laughing9:

Bobbypins has a friend who's son found a hand grande at the beach. A few weeks after we got on island, a construction crew, working behind our apartment, had a backhoe hit a unexploded projectile. It went off, thankfully, one one was injured.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread