Casper & Gary D. An enlightening comparison?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper & Gary D. A enlightening comparison?

Both have had great success this year, however, there is a very interesting and enlightening comparison when we take a closer look at these two success stories. One of these hunters uses the CZ-21, a deep, powerful VLF machine. The other hunter uses the new CTX3030, a sensitive, precision machine. Casper found a lot of chunkier gold this year, Gary has found a lot of finer, less dense gold this year with routinely higher K’s. Both are/were regularly hunting in the saltwater environment. Both are hunting in regions with constant competition. Both are obviously doing something different then most hunters. I think there is a great deal to be learned here in this comparison.

To be honest, like a few other hunters I was beginning to question the number of finds Gary was posting recently but I am no longer questioning them. I do believe he has found every piece just as he claims. For most of us we have too easily traded sensitivity for depth. Casper is generally hunting beyond where most hunters venture, his access to chunkier gold allowed to happen more frequently simply because of the lack of competition. The CZ is deep and it is saltwater friendly, and it is a monster on chunkier, denser gold objects. Casper is also hunting over typically firmer bottoms which helps to prevent these heavier targets from sinking all the way to China. Casper has a great hunting strategy in face of the competition and it is awarding him well.

Gary, on the other hand, is unjustly facing a few skeptics right now. Why is he finding so much gold in face of the competition? Yep, it’s hard to believe, but then again, maybe not. I have a 1.5 gram gold cross that is very flat and thin. I can’t read this cross at all with my CZ, can’t read it with the Excal and WOT coil, can only barely read it with the Excal and 8” coil and only at a couple of inches, if that. The Sov. GT with the 8” coil can read it a bit deeper. Toss this cross into the sand and saltwater mixture and the Excal with 8” coil will only offer you a tic or two. People have been wondering why Gary isn’t finding a lot of typical bands and the simple answer is because everyone else can detect these. When we ask why everyone else isn’t finding the finer, higher K gold that Gary is routinely finding the answer is simply because most other hunters can’t detect them. Unfortunately, with VLF machines, depth and sensitivity are not close friends. Gary simply hunts slowly and methodically with the most sensitive setup he can. Like Casper, an excellent strategy in face of the competition. A lot to be learned from both successes and I am slowly trying to soak it all in so I can apply it all to my own hunting efforts. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ill bet he didnt find 53 yesterday lol. Hes sure been at it since the beginning..... congrats to him. I run up on some of the FATHERS of our hobby out there occasionally, you have to love chatting with them especially if they have been in the area that long.

Dew
lolol I bet it wasn't even this year...lololol anyway just an FYI ...I started back in the day also... way back in 1972... I was just a youngster, I remember my first Mercury Dimes and Walking Liberty Half Dollars... I was astonished to say the least... I remember the first season I hit a small beach and within 2 days, with 3 guys ( Dad & myself & My Uncle ) with 2 Metal Detectors, we had over $75.00 each $150.00 in silver coins off that beach... now that's a story..... that was Spring of 1972... Oh how I wish I could go back in those days with the metal detectors we have today... would clean up big time....

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting in the late 80's and things have certainly changed a lot even since then. Use to be you expected to find a piece or two of gold, completely stumped when you didn't. :laughing7:

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Oh I remember it very well.... we would often have gold rings from every hunt... and they were all in the sand....times have changed

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about things changing......I can still remember the genius in my decision to sell all of my gold when it shot up to $387 an ounce so I wouldn't get screwed when the bottom fell out. Yep....ain't never gonna forget that brilliant move! "NEVER!" :laughing7::BangHead:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop,

Don't feel bad.....a few years ago I dumped some gold rings when gold was about $450 an ounce thinking how smart I was....it's running about 4 times that now...lol.....as they say hindsight is 20/20....

Regards + HH

Bill

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am trying to hold out for the BIG $2,000.00 an oz..... :laughing7:

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Does anyone feel like they're putting in the time, but because the location isn't so great, it feels like an exercise in frustration. Gets disheartening at times.

I know what you mean. I now get happy when I pull out a quarter. Looking at all this south fl gold everyday does not help. And now this forum has me thinking that I have been passing over gold that was being nulled out because it was so deep.

Interesting discussion though.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
occy,

St Augustine is a beautiful place and has lots of history....if you go slow and do the overlaps should be a few surprises
waiting for the coil.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean. I now get happy when I pull out a quarter. Looking at all this south fl gold everyday does not help. And now this forum has me thinking that I have been passing over gold that was being nulled out because it was so deep.

Interesting discussion though.

Just keep in mind that once those deep summer sands return it can get very slow down there as well. And I wouldn't worry about missing too much deep gold on the nulls, doesn't happen so often that you've missed too much, if any. I spent 6 months checking every null in pinpoint and digging them, was always iron. :laughing7:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once discussed with Jimmy Sierra about nulls on deep silver/coins. We came to about the same conclusions you did BS. We know wrap-around on deep coin targets mixed with minerals sometimes allows the detector to know something is there, but cant properly ID it..... so it calls it iron. What Jimmy said was..... they just werent worth chasing the percentages. In this case if you want to chase deep targets..... get a PI...... right?

BS..... ive also noticed something else about sensitivity. Take a look at Gary D's finds..... if im not wrong he has 1 yes one white gold. Checking mine for the last month and a half.... ive gotten 2. Are we loosing a lot of sensitivity to white gold, do people loose less white gold, do they just wear less?

Dew

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once discussed with Jimmy Sierra about nulls on deep silver/coins. We came to about the same conclusions you did BS. We know wrap-around on deep coin targets mixed with minerals sometimes allows the detector to know something is there, but cant properly ID it..... so it calls it iron. What Jimmy said was..... they just werent worth chasing the percentages. In this case if you want to chase deep targets..... get a PI...... right?

BS..... ive also noticed something else about sensitivity. Take a look at Gary D's finds..... if im not wrong he has 1 yes one white gold. Checking mine for the last month and a half.... ive gotten 2. Are we loosing a lot of sensitivity to white gold, do people loose less white gold, do they just wear less?

Dew

I guess the way I see it is like this....if I can detect small to average sized white gold at decent depths then I feel confident that I won't be missing any yellow gold that's within reach of the search cone. For me, knowing my machine is capable of hitting on the smaller white gold is just an assurance measure. I doubt there's as much white gold out there but I sure don't want to risk missing any of it either. :laughing7:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
If it happens once it is happenstance. If it happens twice it is circumstance. If it happens three times it is a conspiracy. Ockham's razor: when facing a complex and difficult question; after shaving away the excess information the most simply explanation is usually correct. Why do attractive woman wear short mini-skirts and low cut crop tops? Why does somebody dye their hair blue and put it in a mohawk? Why does somebody who writes a book go to Barnes and Noble to sign copies?

I don't doubt anybody's skills at detecting. However, when you see a couple of people so far ahead of the bell curve you have to question it. "Those who know, don't talk....those who talk, don't know." I appreciate the comparison. I'll stick to modern psychiatry. I refuse to believe one or two people are expotentially better at detecting gold then the other couple hundred. Jordan scores 50 points a game, Lebron 40, d wade, 30. Jordan doesn't score 300 points every game when everybody else gets a couple buckets.

Just my two cents...since you brought it up.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wilt Chamblerlin did lol. Yes im the last person that should be talking water hunting when all the gurus are silent. But i like the thread and comparison..... you just get some excellent information to make you think....thats how you learn.

Dew

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to find out if Gary Drayton was actually finding this stuff, or just going to estate sales like one of my favorite Connecticut beach hunters, so I hired a private detective to work up a professional file on him - what his day job is; what kind of cars he drives; what he eats; and where he goes. I had him followed for six-weeks, and I have my answer.

Now YOU can have it to! That's right, for just $29.95, you can get your very own copy of my new book, "Following a Legend: The Real Story of Gary Drayton." Now YOU can know the true story of some of Gary's most famous finds! Don't wait, order today! :thumbsup:

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Terry Soloman said:
I decided to find out if Gary Drayton was actually finding this stuff, or just going to estate sales like one of my favorite Connecticut beach hunters, so I hired a private detective to work up a professional file on him - what his day job is; what kind of cars he drives; what he eats; and where he goes. I had him followed for six-weeks, and I have my answer.

Now YOU can have it to! That's right, for just $29.95, you can get your very own copy of my new book, "Following a Legend: The Real Story of Gary Drayton." Now YOU can know the true story of some of Gary's most famous finds! Don't wait, order today! :thumbsup:

That's a good one.... Good job Terry....:)

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it happens once it is happenstance. If it happens twice it is circumstance. If it happens three times it is a conspiracy. Ockham's razor: when facing a complex and difficult question; after shaving away the excess information the most simply explanation is usually correct. Why do attractive woman wear short mini-skirts and low cut crop tops? Why does somebody dye their hair blue and put it in a mohawk? Why does somebody who writes a book go to Barnes and Noble to sign copies?

I don't doubt anybody's skills at detecting. However, when you see a couple of people so far ahead of the bell curve you have to question it. "Those who know, don't talk....those who talk, don't know." I appreciate the comparison. I'll stick to modern psychiatry. I refuse to believe one or two people are expotentially better at detecting gold then the other couple hundred. Jordan scores 50 points a game, Lebron 40, d wade, 30. Jordan doesn't score 300 points every game when everybody else gets a couple buckets.

Just my two cents...since you brought it up.

You'd be surprised at the amount of gold that's coming out of certain areas down here that you never hear about. A big of what these guys do is, "Location, location, location" and they have spent years learning how to find those areas and how and when to capitalize on them. :icon_thumleft:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drayton went to a tourist beach and hunted behind 12 other guys that were using top of the line detectors and he pulled 12 gold...its more than location...I said he was 10x better than the next best hunter on T- Net but I take that back, he is 20x better.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drayton went to a tourist beach and hunted behind 12 other guys that were using top of the line detectors and he pulled 12 gold...its more than location...I said he was 10x better than the next best hunter on T- Net but I take that back, he is 20x better.

Yep, he's good, and I was accounting for that when I said, "how and when to capitalize on them." :icon_thumleft: I don't know about 10x or 20x better, but certainly well educated at what he's doing.

Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll give 10,000 dollars to the next T-Net member who stands outside Fort Knox, shows me a picture of the gold bars, and tells me they dug it all up on a tourist beach. If it is on TV....it must be true.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll give 10,000 dollars to the next T-Net member who stands outside Fort Knox, shows me a picture of the gold bars, and tells me they dug it all up on a tourist beach. If it is on TV....it must be true.

A lot to be learned in/from this thread. If you don't believe some guys are better at finding the gold then others that's fine. Me, I'm still trying to take in all I can from the guys who certainly find way more gold then I do. I know of two guys who have absolutely killed it on my home beaches but you'll never get them to offer you any advice or direction. There are a lot of guys out there finding "a lot" of gold after Sandy, I want to learn what they obviously know so I can hopefully become one of those guys someday. Gary, Casper, Whydah, Himad, and a few others are just a few of the guys here on Tnet that I can learn something from. They don't have those giant collections because they are average hunters. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions