Casper & Gary D. An enlightening comparison?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper & Gary D. A enlightening comparison?

Both have had great success this year, however, there is a very interesting and enlightening comparison when we take a closer look at these two success stories. One of these hunters uses the CZ-21, a deep, powerful VLF machine. The other hunter uses the new CTX3030, a sensitive, precision machine. Casper found a lot of chunkier gold this year, Gary has found a lot of finer, less dense gold this year with routinely higher K’s. Both are/were regularly hunting in the saltwater environment. Both are hunting in regions with constant competition. Both are obviously doing something different then most hunters. I think there is a great deal to be learned here in this comparison.

To be honest, like a few other hunters I was beginning to question the number of finds Gary was posting recently but I am no longer questioning them. I do believe he has found every piece just as he claims. For most of us we have too easily traded sensitivity for depth. Casper is generally hunting beyond where most hunters venture, his access to chunkier gold allowed to happen more frequently simply because of the lack of competition. The CZ is deep and it is saltwater friendly, and it is a monster on chunkier, denser gold objects. Casper is also hunting over typically firmer bottoms which helps to prevent these heavier targets from sinking all the way to China. Casper has a great hunting strategy in face of the competition and it is awarding him well.

Gary, on the other hand, is unjustly facing a few skeptics right now. Why is he finding so much gold in face of the competition? Yep, it’s hard to believe, but then again, maybe not. I have a 1.5 gram gold cross that is very flat and thin. I can’t read this cross at all with my CZ, can’t read it with the Excal and WOT coil, can only barely read it with the Excal and 8” coil and only at a couple of inches, if that. The Sov. GT with the 8” coil can read it a bit deeper. Toss this cross into the sand and saltwater mixture and the Excal with 8” coil will only offer you a tic or two. People have been wondering why Gary isn’t finding a lot of typical bands and the simple answer is because everyone else can detect these. When we ask why everyone else isn’t finding the finer, higher K gold that Gary is routinely finding the answer is simply because most other hunters can’t detect them. Unfortunately, with VLF machines, depth and sensitivity are not close friends. Gary simply hunts slowly and methodically with the most sensitive setup he can. Like Casper, an excellent strategy in face of the competition. A lot to be learned from both successes and I am slowly trying to soak it all in so I can apply it all to my own hunting efforts. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop,

Good to see you're still open minded enough to pick up a few tips from those that are at the top of their game....there'll always be doubters......I for one am still humbled by some of the finds my fellow detectorists make be it here or on other sites.....it's just one big learning curve and we can all pick up a few tricks from time to time.

Regards + HH

Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen, I want to point out some of the comments here can be taken as a challenge to the truth of Garys finds which you all know violates our rules........ I have personally met the man, he is honest, he also hunts almost every single day so his success will be better than some others........ Another note is the area he hunts is rich in targets as well....

I have not a single doubt in my mind that Gary is honest and trueful in what he reports.... As far as being out hunted, it is easily possible, I see hunters at the beach many times with excals that are obviously new at the hobby since they are swinging them like they are a sickle, 4 inches off the ground and speed walking down the beach, many times they are also running them on auto when I stop and talk to them.....I am constantly outhunted as was evident this past week...... My best day was 5 gold rings 2 were diamond, the same day I met another good hunter at a stop light that found 0..... Was I that much better that day, no, was I luckier that day yes.....

A friendly reminder, please do not challange members finds as it violates our rules......

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot to be learned in/from this thread. If you don't believe some guys are better at finding the gold then others that's fine. Me, I'm still trying to take in all I can from the guys who certainly find way more gold then I do. I know of two guys who have absolutely killed it on my home beaches but you'll never get them to offer you any advice or direction. There are a lot of guys out there finding "a lot" of gold after Sandy, I want to learn what they obviously know so I can hopefully become one of those guys someday. Gary, Casper, Whydah, Himad, and a few others are just a few of the guys here on Tnet that I can learn something from. They don't have those giant collections because they are average hunters. :icon_thumleft:

There were a lot of American fighter pilots in WWII, but only one Richard Bong. There are thousands of college football players in America today, but how many make it to the NFL? How many of them do you know by name?

My point here is real simple. Every endeavor has its elite, the best of the best. Not everyone can be the best - although we all THINK we can! Some guys HEAR things you can’t. Some do better research, or have access to private properties and historical sites.

I feel bad for all of the doubters. It’s like you have given up all hope, and just don’t believe finding real treasures consistently is possible. When Gary – or anybody else pulls an incredible piece of gold, it gives me confirmation that it is out there just waiting for me to get my coil over. It gives me hope that I’m next.

Open your mind, and your detector will follow..

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop,

Good to see you're still open minded enough to pick up a few tips from those that are at the top of their game....there'll always be doubters......I for one am still humbled by some of the finds my fellow detectorists make be it here or on other sites.....it's just one big learning curve and we can all pick up a few tricks from time to time.

Regards + HH

Bill

I can never learn it all but I sure want every edge I can get my hands on, and that edge could come from anyone and everyone. I learn a lot on this site, and others, seems you always get information to contemplate and experiment with, which only serves to improve your knowledge and skills. Some of these guys flat out amaze me with their abilities and knowledge. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen, I want to point out some of the comments here can be taken as a challenge to the truth of Garys finds which you all know violates our rules........ I have personally met the man, he is honest, he also hunts almost every single day so his success will be better than some others........ Another note is the area he hunts is rich in targets as well....

I have not a single doubt in my mind that Gary is honest and trueful in what he reports.... As far as being out hunted, it is easily possible, I see hunters at the beach many times with excals that are obviously new at the hobby since they are swinging them like they are a sickle, 4 inches off the ground and speed walking down the beach, many times they are also running them on auto when I stop and talk to them.....I am constantly outhunted as was evident this past week...... My best day was 5 gold rings 2 were diamond, the same day I met another good hunter at a stop light that found 0..... Was I that much better that day, no, was I luckier that day yes.....

A friendly reminder, please do not challange members finds as it violates our rules......
Thanks for the reminder Treasure Hunter, without it I think I was about to get in trouble...you do a great job as a Moderator, keep up the good work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were a lot of American fighter pilots in WWII, but only one Richard Bong. There are thousands of college football players in America today, but how many make it to the NFL? How many of them do you know by name?

My point here is real simple. Every endeavor has its elite, the best of the best. Not everyone can be the best - although we all THINK we can! Some guys HEAR things you can’t. Some do better research, or have access to private properties and historical sites.

I feel bad for all of the doubters. It’s like you have given up all hope, and just don’t believe finding real treasures consistently is possible. When Gary – or anybody else pulls an incredible piece of gold, it gives me confirmation that it is out there just waiting for me to get my coil over. It gives me hope that I’m next.

Open your mind, and your detector will follow..

"Consistency".....that's what I want to keep working towards. :icon_thumleft:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well......i hate him!!!:tongue3:

i guess its the old "ten percent of the fisherman catch ninety percent of the fish"!!!!!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
someone stated - "Drayton went to a tourist beach and hunted behind 12 other guys that were using top of the line detectors and he pulled 12 gold...its more than location...I said he was 10x better than the next best hunter on T- Net but I take that back, he is 20x better."

do you know what the other 12 got ???
I know some of the guys that are down there and been killing it right after Sandy
friend of mine found 11 gold rings in one day - he had 25 by the second week - Have not talked to him since but bet he has almost double that by now
another guy I know had 21 gold in the last 3 weeks - another around 15
and these guys have 40 hr a week jobs and families - they been going out 2-3 hrs after work in that area of Fla.
and these guys have friends and know guys that have been killing it too because Sandy took out a bunch of sand

in 2007 I hit Fla. beaches right after 2 storms went thru and I came up with 26 pieces of gold in 4 days in a few small blow outs

Gary's skill got him more than the average guy and I have seen better quality from him cause he knows the posh spots
but gold been being found by all down there right now - lot of silver - lot of old stuff
I was going to head down before Thanksgiving - a week went by and I thought I would be late for the reeping - I was wrong
I concider my self an average TH'er , but admit I had a good year - I got out 77 times this year so far and found 71 gold rings - I had many mutilple ring day which was a surprise and very nice
The thing is many of the "old" spots I hit this year - will not be replenished - so unless I find some more unhit spots or get real lucky in the new drops next year - I'm gonna be hardpressed to do as well as I did this year - but who knows

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's true, some guys seem to do better than others. But that being said, If you go everyday, learn your machine well, hunt slow and low to the ground... how can you miss? Cover as much ground as possible.Eventually you will also put your coil over the Gold, focuss and don't let anyone distract you from what you are trying to do. You will also be doing just as well as everyone else. It may take some time.... Try hitting areas that are kinda out of the way. Push yourself to may be try the same old spot, but hit it in a different direction... Hey it works, beleive me I have done it.. Oh and one last thing, it's NEVER hunted out, it may not be as plentiful, but there will always be something, especially after a storm. I found my 1851 - 1 Dollar Gold coin in a heavly hunted out area last month, in less than one inch of water... Happy Holidays and good luck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is more to it than just going to a beach and start swinging a coil if you want to be highly successful, you need to know what beaches to go to,(research) and once there know how to read the beach and try to locate the best places on that beach to hunt... I know for a fact certain members don't just "go to a beach", they know what beaches to go to, when to go and once there where to hunt to have the best luck.....It took me awhile to learn to read water, to be able to look and spot a hole by the way water acts over a hole...

There is luck involved, you have to get your coil over the gold, but knowing where you will most likely have the best luck is a major factor..........

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at the water a whole lot differently then I did even a year ago. Spotting the potential holes and cuts is second nature now, locating the best spots in the holes and cuts is sometimes a simple matter of just feeling the sand under you feet, or lack of it. Reading the currents once you're in the holes and cuts can also lead you to the most likely collection areas. I know I'm looking forward to the challenge of next summer once all that deep sand settles onto the beach because I have an entirely different plan of attack for it next year. If you keep at it and keep you ears and mind open and continue trying new things sooner or later you start arriving at that point where things begin to gel. :icon_thumleft:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a few days such as Gary and others. I got NO doubt about our oceans in S.Fl. are very very rich!
For me, there seems to be a couple of different places around here, they just produce gold. Don't knock it, be greatful!
I got NO complaints about what S Fl., and the West Fl coast have produced for me!
Guys, ya'll keep up the great works!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect example:....last year I spent a great deal of time hunting an area where I know there has to be a lot of gold and silver, problem was, I hunted it entirely wrong due to the different obstacles and conditions. Didn't realize it then, but realize it now.

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
heres what you are missing " you have to hunt". you think a ring is going to jump in your scoop sitting at home. the more you hunt the more you find period. i dont call competition the guy who goes out and hunts for an hour than goes home. oh im not ranting if it seems like it. just telling it exactly how it is. they hunt therefore they find. hunt a little find a little.yes experience is key too

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Snookison
" you have to hunt". you think a ring is going to jump in your scoop sitting at home. the more you hunt the more you find period.
I agree he is not the 10x better hunter, but very smart and works hard at what he does. The hands tell the story.
OBN0001.jpg

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres what you are missing " you have to hunt". you think a ring is going to jump in your scoop sitting at home. the more you hunt the more you find period. i dont call competition the guy who goes out and hunts for an hour than goes home. oh im not ranting if it seems like it. just telling it exactly how it is. they hunt therefore they find. hunt a little find a little.yes experience is key too

I'm not missing that point at all. However, on the other hand, aimlessly roaming the beach casually swinging the stick isn't exactly high percentage hunting no matter how much time you put into it. "Higher percentage hunting" is probably everyone's goal and there are those guys who are very good at the percentage game, spending a lot less time hunting and still earning more consistent returns. I hunted a lot of places that were a complete waste of time last year, something I recognize now but didn't then.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people cant voice their opinions on here because of the rules, which I think is a good thing because there would just be a bunch of arguing instead of people sharing their finds with others. We can send PMs and there are some very interesting conversations going on right now. Im new to detecting and have a lot to learn. Im addicted to water hunting and even more addicted to T-Net...without T-Net I dont think I would enjoy the hobby as much. A lot of great people on here...good luck to everyone.

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree he is not the 10x better hunter, but very smart and works hard at what he does. The hands tell the story.
View attachment 707503
Yes of course:icon_thumright: So the gold is always hard to take. Gary is one of my best friend i know. There are the best friends in this Forum TNet. I wish you ALL happy hunting!!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, i am in a decent tourist area, i have the calasses on my hands, hunt better than anyone else i see on the beach, hunt prime areas in prime time, do not hunt as long as i would like due to wife and kids, but had to deal with horrible sanded in conditions where fresh drops apparently were gone too deep in 5-10 minutes!!!!! my finds this year were stunningly absent! other hunters over here on the central and north central east coast reported the same. can anyone say they did very well in this area? was it just a matter of horrible conditions over here?...........any advice for me/us unsuccessful hunters? snooksion,casper,wyhdah, gary, anyone, what do you guys do under sanded in conditions? run and gun? crank up the sens?, hunt slower? hunt only holes if you can find them? take long trips to different beaches? hunt deeper than everyone else? share what you can, publicly or by pm.
chuck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, i am in a decent tourist area, i have the calasses on my hands, hunt better than anyone else i see on the beach, hunt prime areas in prime time, do not hunt as long as i would like due to wife and kids, but had to deal with horrible sanded in conditions where fresh drops apparently were gone too deep in 5-10 minutes!!!!! my finds this year were stunningly absent! other hunters over here on the central and north central east coast reported the same. can anyone say they did very well in this area? was it just a matter of horrible conditions over here?...........any advice for me/us unsuccessful hunters? snooksion,casper,wyhdah, gary, anyone, what do you guys do under sanded in conditions? run and gun? crank up the sens?, hunt slower? hunt only holes if you can find them? take long trips to different beaches? hunt deeper than everyone else? share what you can, publicly or by pm.
chuck.

East coast of Central Florida and up finds have been bad, South Florida finds are better..... I know I witnissed it first hand.... I witnessed at least 20+ gold rings come out of one small area by maybe 3 or 4 hunters... Daytona can be terrible, but go to Cocoa and it can be totally different.... I know a hunter who pulled out at least 8 gold rings including 3 diamond rings in 2 days on a beach between Cocoa and the Cape...... Winds did a cut, coast is little different there compared to Daytona, winds and surf hitting Daytona may do nothing to the beach while rip holes just 40 miles south....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions