massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't going to post but started thinking

I found these in the ocean the larger one i know is lead but the little one has me puzzled i've never seen lead encrusted like this i talked to a friend and he stated it could be a silver bar its about 3/4 inch thick about an 1 inch wide and about 3 long and weighs 8.6 ounces thanks for looking
kent

Attachments

• lead 001.JPG
    lead 001.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 187
  • lead 006.JPG
    lead 006.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these in the ocean the larger one i know is lead but the little one has me puzzled i've never seen lead encrusted like this i talked to a friend and he stated it could be a silver bar its about 3/4 inch thick about an 1 inch wide and about 3 long and weighs 8.6 ounces thanks for looking
kent

No pic.

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm interested to know this as well, the pics look intriguing- good luck! :icon_thumright:

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its silver your buying coffee . I hope it's I'd silver !

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like it is possible... but the bubble effect seems a little out of sorts...unless maybe it's been in a fire? Lead usually cuts like the way it shows in the picture from where you scraped it... If it were Silver, I am thinking that it would have scraped more that cut into the edge....One good thing it has going for it is, that it has a thick crust... never seen lead get a thick crust like that, sooooooo.... Hmmmmmm..... May be you have a nice little Silver Ingot? Just my 2 cents... I still want to see it, I can tell a lot better in person... Wishing you luck with that bar for sure...

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
A old silver ingot would usally have a good bit of lead still in it until being run threw a good refinery.

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And why not post? You sure got us queryious?

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look like lead bricks used by plumbers. I seen pallets of them on jobs, they get melted and poured onto cast iron pipes to seal the joints.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find..... acid test it. The blistering just looks like the metal was poured. BUT..... how does it cut with a knife? If it peals id say lead..... still looks like lead to me, like was mentioned for plumbing in the day.

Dew

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
A quick test for silver...I found out while cleaning old crudded silver coins....wet the bar sprinkle a bit of salt and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. If it's silver you will feel it getting hot very quickly. Don't burn yourself!

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Try this if you think it is silver: Get an old pan and line with aluminum foil (the pan will not be ruined but best not to upset the wife,) add a pinch of salt, a quart of water, get it to a boil, and then add four tablespoons of baking soda. If it is silver then you will be able to watch the oxygen reduce right off the silver in tiny bubbles. Leave it in for about 15-30 minutes and then scrub under running faucet. Rub off the reduced crud, dry thoroughly, and then polish. If it is really oxidized you may have to do it 2-3 times to get it looking good. If you throw it in the water and bubbles don't start coming off the metal then you do not have silver.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
I agree with DocBeav. I think it might be one of the sacrificial zinc bars used on larger boats.

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But if its a zinc bar for a boat shouldnt there be holes in it where the bolts went threw?

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But if its a zinc bar for a boat shouldnt there be holes in it where the bolts went threw?

Many of them do but, some do not (see second link in my post). Easy enough to drill your own holes to mount it as needed (or there may be brackets that they can fit/slide into. I don't own a boat and I'm no expert but 20 years in the Navy and working with numerous small craft has taught me some things!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions