Upvote 0

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES, please tell. Still need to decide on a Christmas present for myself and this could be it.

OP
OP
lookindown

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES, please tell. Still need to decide on a Christmas present for myself and this could be it.
If I get one its going to be my Christmas present too.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that uses it here in Fl. Its a long scoop.... but a little narrower than say the T-Rex or Starvr. At say Siesta Keys with the first design he bent the top back.... not necessarily the scoops issue, but Chuck did start putting more material and doubled up on the back brace. You cant just fill that bad boy up and expect to man handle it with the handle... take your time as you pull back and it drains/loosens that kind of sand. He loves the scoop and like me puts in a lot of hours out there. If he had to do it over thou he would have gotten his own handle. The point can make a big difference in shells or extremely hard bottoms.... it dont roll on you. Also.... fewer targets get pushed out of the scoop as material goes in. Also... its not to heavy for a SS scoop with very few weld complaints. Also... these scoops drain quickly as you pull them up... much better than a fully enclosed scoop.

Dew

Last edited:
OP
OP
lookindown

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Dewcon...I was worried that with the length of the bucket it would try to roll on you when you pushed it in the sand...on hard bottoms my RTG rolls sometimes....thanks again and good luck hunting.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the assist handle, it's a nice addition in the surf when you're trying to control a full bucket while rechecking the hole with your coil before the hole fills back in. The other thing you'll like about the SS scoop is the extra weight in the current, easier to position then the aluminum because it won't drift about in the current as bad.

Midas_touch

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the 720i a few weeks ago and this scoop kicks ass. It does get heavy when filled with sand though. And it's better when you can use the water to wash out the sand. Not so easy to shake. And wear a glove on the hand you plan on shaking it with.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of yourself as an archer and the scoops as arrow(s) in your quiver. The arrow that you select depends upon what you hunt, where you hunt, and how you hunt.

- When I hunt on dry sand only, I use a non corrosive non conducting extra heavy duty plastic sand scoop with 5/8 inch holes for easier sifting. I prefer to use a composite garden spade to pull sand toward this flat bottomed scoop as forward motion in loose sand pushes targets away. I also use the edged side of a Garret Pro Pointer, while down, to speed recovery when there are multiple targets.

- I use an aluminum RTG 6 inch stand up water scoop as my go to beach scoop. It has served me well in recovering targets in dry sand, wet sand, and waist deep water. I nicknamed it old shaky as it works best to sift dry sand when one third or less full. I plan to add a stainless steel tip so that it will cut through wet sand easier, and a 1/4 in mesh screen on the bottom to keep smaller items from falling through, plus magnets to catch iron. The down side to this scoop is that it tends to roll, especially if it hits a rock. It is also corky in the surf, and I have been gently clunked by it several times.

- I use the stealth 720 when I need to work crevices with its pointed tip or when I am in chest to chin deep in the water. I am over six foot, and prefer the longer 52 inch textured wood shaft, which also helps to push you back to shallower water if you get to deep. if you need to dig deep on the first scoop, this is the scoop of choice, it is amazing on how easily and fast it drains with the one half inch holes. I found the basket surprisingly light- most of the weight is in the textured wood handle. It easily cuts though wet sand, and is very stable considering the length of its basket.

- I prefer the wider T Rex for wet sand and up to waist deep water, especially when detecting with a 10 inch or wider double D coil. I would have to custom order a 52 inch shaft for chest to chin deep water. Even though it has a round bottom, I have not noticed any tendency to roll. Nor have I noticed any flexing in the 48 inch wood shovel shaft.

Like the stealth 720, wet sand loads are heavy, and I have to pivot the basket and drag it out of the hole (poor technique) as it difficult for me to lift one handed. I would use this as my go to beach scoop where items of high value have been found. The one quarter inch grid would catch smaller targets such as ear ring studs. The only drawback that I have noticed is that wet sand tends to stick at the back edges and will build up, unless cleaned out. You have to dump the sand and spread it out to find target for other than fine dry sand

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 720 Stealth is to near perfect as you can get for most hunters. With the angled handle it points down with authority for getting a good bite of sand.
http://www.gold-scoop.com/720.html

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One addition I plan on adding to my stealth is a forearm brace, something similar to what is on a detector shaft. Since the loads are so heavy and unbalanced I'm positioning the shaft at the bottom of my forearm for more leverage, but without the brace it doesn't always stay there in the pounding surf. Once I get the heavy monster out of the hole I like to move it away quickly so I can recheck the hole before I wrestle the full scoop and the hole fills back in. That forearm brace would sure be nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread