Class Ring, looking for the owner

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Got to get out and dive last week and found this class ring. Must say, the lake was a tad chilly. Also found a religious medal and plenty of clad. Found lots of trash too, took it with me. Waiting for the rightful owner to contact me, the school has identified the person and was supposed to contact them today. Won't be long and the ring will be back where it belongs.

Attachments

• Crystal's.jpg
    Crystal's.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great job on the return to be!

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! I know the owner will be really happy to get it back.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure the karma will be much more valuable then the value of the ring! I like your style!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kids enjoy getting their rings back having no idea they would ever see it again. Makes you feel good too.

Dew

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say this.......
Sorry guys but I have 4 bad experiences with locating the owners of rings and giving them back. 4 out of 4 tries.
All 4 returns were NOT appreciated. I don't understand this?
It has discouraged us and we no longer give anything back. :(
I would love to give them back but if its not appreciated then I'm not going to wast my time. I could be hunting more rings instead of locating and giving back.
Hey, maybe it's a NY thing?
Anyways, it is sad that it is that way.
Mainelypulltab - I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

OP
OP
Mainelypulltab

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
NYwaterhunter. Interesting post. I just mentioned in a forum up here that the owner has not called me back and I asked how many times I should call? I know the school located the person because he works for the school and maybe he did not lose the ring. How many attempts do I make to return it? I will call again. One thing I have learned in my young life is that I do not allow others emotions to control mine. I know in the end, I did the right thing. Heck if the ring had no initials, I am sure I would not be going to the end of the earth to find them. Of the few things I have been able to return, I have experienced nothing but gratitude. Been offered money for the return but could not take it, not who I am. Nothing against folks who would take the money, just not how I was raised. Anyway, maybe the next item you can return, you will experience a more receptive person, you just never know. Once you get the person who gets so excited about seeing their lost piece of jewelry, you could not find enough gold to replace their excitement. Best of luck on your next return.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't keep calling. You did your part in contacting the person who lost it. If they call you back to collect, good for you. If they never call, good for you (for trying, and for now keeping the ring)

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have successfully returned 3 class rings with mixed results. One was not appreciated and it bummed me out a bit. I figure, all the money and jewelry I have found over the years, the LEAST I can do is return whatever I find if possible. Good Karma, too! :thumbsup:

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Pulltab.
I have about 90 gold and out of the 90 I could try to give back about 20 of them.
Including an old friend of mine from high school. I found out he got into drugs and has been in and out of jail. (I'm not giving his ring back)
Another attempt I went to the owners house twice Nobody home. Left a note with my number - no return phone call
My partner drove 100 miles and got a quick thanks and walk away.
This one kills me the most.....
I was in a swim area on a river and a lady asked if I found anything because her daughter lost her ring 3 years ago. It was my first visit to this spot and I happened to find a gold class ring 2008 14 k with girls name on it.
Anyways I got asking the lady a bunch of questions. How can I identify it if I found it? Is it Gold? Is there a name on it? How much did you pay for it?
Yup, her daughters ring was in my nail pouch! (she paid $800) So I wanted to learn more before I gave it back. I asked Did she learn her lesson not to wear it in the water? Answer was no and she actually lost another one that I got her.
Then the younger sister came up to me and said " You will never find my sisters ring with all the junk that's around" Besides my mom owes me a ring because she gave my sister two. I looked them directly in the eye and said, "Your right, there's no way I would find it"
There is no way in hell that I am giving it back to a spoiled brat. I see them at this area about twice a year but I still haven't given it back.
It pays to ask many questions.
I have a huge investment of Dive gear, 4 detectors, pontoon boat, and other equipment. If I return a ring to somebody it better well be deserved and appreciated.
It's too bad a few bad eggs ruin the whole dozen.
Keep us posted if they get the class ring back. I'd like to know how it gets taken.
good luck

OP
OP
Mainelypulltab

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Well NYwh, I must admit that I called the school back who assured me this man has been notified via e-mail and phone con and he was given my number. The librarian said that I should not worry about it if he is not going to call me back. I am beginning to see what folks are saying. I am with you, I do not have a pontoon boat but I have six tanks, wet suit, dry suit, hookah and two water detectors. I realize some folks just do not care about lost items. I also realize some folks will lie about something you find. Had a guy misidentify a religious medallion one time and he must've thought I was playing a game show with him because he kept trying to guess. I told him I did not have the one or three or four he had already guessed at. What a knuckledragger. Maybe that was not nice but I do not like liars, if it is your cross, just describe it to me. Sorry about the rant, you are right and I have some thinking to do on how many times I should be trying to give something back. My mind always tries to allow for life getting in the way. Too many more important things in life than getting back a ring, births, deaths, weddings, divorces etc... He has my number, when he wants the ring, I will return it. Thank you for your insight, I am learning.

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thinking pull tab. I would rather be searching for another gold ring rather than searching for the person who was dumb enough to loose one.
Don't get me wrong, If someone wanted there ring back I would be glad to do so. I'm just not going to waste allot of my time looking for them when most are not appreciated. Maybe when I retire or I'm too old to detect, then I wouldn't mind spending the time on it.
Most folks on Tnet do look for the owner.
happy hunting

icatchbigcats

Dec 2, 2012
Just south of the Canadian border
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, E-Trac, Explorer SE, Quatro, Whites PI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too have had mixed results returning class rings. I've returned about a dozen rings, most with little or no thanks at all, however, one I returned was well worth it. The gal had lost it 27 years earlier, she never had the nerve to tell her parents she had lost the ring because she had begged and begged for them to buy it for her. Needless to say when the school called them they were surprised. The owner of the ring called a local newspaper which did a story about getting her ring back.
One of my last returns was a huge 14k for which I never even got a thank you, but oh well, I guess I'll probably do it again.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Job on the treasure and all the effort put forth to find the owner.

I had one a few years ago, had the name of the United States Senator and NewYork State on the front....the gentleman declined and said he never been to VB and it was not his ring...guess it was replaced and he did not want to explain how it got there. I think the fact that he was asked at a party with several friends around made for a easy decision..Biggest ring I have every found 21.4oz 18k

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/12993-albums494-picture622636.html

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job and well done!!

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainelypulltab, nice findand good efforts to locate the owner.even though you wouldnt accept or expect any reward ,the other person may not know that.if they are short of money,they may be wondering how much this is going to cost them. just another way of looking at it. keep up the good work H.H steve

OP
OP
Mainelypulltab

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Worthy, thank you much for that tid bit. Never gave it any thought that he may be thinking I am looking for a reward; this could be the detractor seeings we are so close to Christmas. I will make one more call and let him know that I would just like him or his family to have his ring. We have a short amount of time on this great planet and I do not like my time wasted by anyone. I consider this a worthy cause. The phone call can be made in the morning and it is no sweat off my back. Thanks again, I do appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread