Ctx finds... First 30 hours of use.

Samuelljackson

Dec 4, 2012
Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm a wet sand and shallow hunter on the east coast of FL. I bought the CTX with the gold and plat finds I found with my excal 2. In the other forum I frequent, there is much debate over the power of the machine.
Personally I'd haven't noticed much in the way of depth improvement. What I can say is the ctx's auto sensitivity, and ground balance settings appear to put the machine in the "butter zone" more frequently than I have been able to do consistently with other machines. I'm fairly pleased with the results so far.

Attachments

• image-510670475.jpg
    image-510670475.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 119
  • image-1079459732.jpg
    image-1079459732.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 118
  • image-4000217918.jpg
    image-4000217918.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 120
  • image-2971936299.jpg
    image-2971936299.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image-1510157622.jpg
    image-1510157622.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 117
  • image-2274633211.jpg
    image-2274633211.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
SJ, congrats on some nice finds. As long as you like it and understand what it is saying, thats all that really matters. Keep up the great finds.

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
Nice finds! Please keep us posted as you spend more time with the machine.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG great finds,that ctx does wonders for you,,HH:hello:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I congratulate on these finds!!:icon_thumright:

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Nice finds. Are you using the seawater program? What part of Florida are you ( north,central, south)? Nice to see a realistic first 30 hours finds posted. I am sure you will be happy with this detector. It really shines in the dirt!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Samuell: How do you like hunting with the CTX digital interface in comparison to hunting with the multi variable audio response of the excal 2?

I would expect only a one inch increase in detection depth based on the diameter of the coils. An excal 2 with a 10 inch double D coil should be able to detect a quarter as deep as 12 inches and an eleven inch coil double D should be able to detect that same quarter as deep as 13 inches.

Also, the eleven inch double D coil should cover 1.21 times the search area as a 10 inch double D coil for each sweep of the coil.

The improved consistency in auto sensitivity and ground balance with the CTX 3030 is surprising as I would expect that the narrower frequency range (1.5 KHz to 25.5 KHz) of the excal2 should work better at the beach.

Can you manually tune the sensitivity and ground balance on the CTX? From what I read the excal2 should be continuously manually tuned for improved performance.

Your finds are surprisingly good for a first 30 hours use on any new detector. How do these finds compare to 30 hours use of the excal under the same conditions and in the same area?

OP
OP
Samuelljackson

Samuelljackson

Dec 4, 2012
Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop.
Primary Interest:
I'm in south fl, but the pic with 4 rings was me me going to the golf last weekend and getting in the water. The wave action has been a little to rough for me on the east coast since I got the ctx 3 weeks ago.

The digital interface takes some getting used to. But I'm a fan, as I'm gaining confidence I like the digital warble I get when I cross the coil over pull tabs, it really helps discriminate.

I've been finding the saltwater mode is a must for me in the splash zone, but unneeded higher on the beach.

The auto sensitivity is excellent, but I've struggled to keep the detector in a stable manual setting in the water.

On the east coast i found I don't really need the ground balance, but now with so many replenishment projects happening on the beach I've been leaving it on. I just don't trust the new sand. On the gulf coast, I only pulled high conductivity targets without ground balance enabled. The next day I turned it on, and found four rings in about 4 hours.

Compared to my Excalibur I seem to be pulling in the gold and silver about twice as fast, but its hard to say with so much changing on the beaches over the last month if its the detector or the conditions.

One thing is for sure, the descrimination features take out some of the mystery. I have a far better idea of what I'm digging at shallow depths.

Last edited:

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Congratulations . Hope you keep doing well ,and thanks for sharing..:thumbsup:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the update, and nice treasure....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread