Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just posted this on the Minelab site, but it may need to be here. Does anyone have experience on using these two on dry and wet sand. How do they compare on depth, gold,etc.? The Exp. finds the silver, deep deep dimes. I like them both, but if you were to take out one or the other and not get submerged, what would it be? Thanks!

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My view of view is that Excalibur is best than Explorer II, but some people like Explorer II.
The reason for this is we are different to hear and satisfied with any metal detector.
The best metal detectors ( on the beach) are analog not digital.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the Excal ONLY if I know for sure that I am not going in the water.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Explorers are just great adaptable machines..... dirt or sand hunting. I LOVE my Xcal..... but if im dry sand hunting that day i will grab the EXp. Its deeper on any target. The Xcal does have a better set of tones for the beach thou. The Exp's low tones for small gold are pretty close to salt falsing .... you have to know the machine or pay attention. Also.... you have a choice of coils that can improve your chances over the Xcal. It recovers faster, you can do patterns, adjust your IM, you have both a digital and smart screen. You just have a lot more tweaking ability for what ever the situation. Its still difficult if i know the water is hunt-able to grab anything but the Xcal. When its dead out there and the snow birds are here...... Exp.

Dew

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I just posted this on the Minelab site, but it may need to be here. Does anyone have experience on using these two on dry and wet sand. How do they compare on depth, gold,etc.? The Exp. finds the silver, deep deep dimes. I like them both, but if you were to take out one or the other and not get submerged, what would it be? Thanks!

I'm your Huckleberry... Hunted with the Explorer 1 (similar to the #2) on beach, trying the smart mode to elimanate some trash around the gold range. Did this both with the stock coil and an 8-inch coil. Depth is exceptional. However, buy a waterproof hood to velcro around the control box to ward off rain, or ocean spray. Only drawback of Explorer is the weight, especially if hunting a beach for 7-10 hours as I prefer to do. I eventually switched over to using the Tesoro Tejon for dry sand hunting due to it being lightweight and an all around quicker, less complicated detector. However, not meant for wet sand hunting. Hence, if I plan to go to the beach for better part of a day, searching amphibias--wet, dry and underwater, I just rely on the excalur and dig everything. This gives me three places I can search, rather than two--with the Explorer; or one (dry sand only) with the Tesoro Tejon. How does Excalibur perform on dry sand? I took a water hunting friend inland to an 1850's fort site. I laughed because tthe only detector he had to use was the Excalibur. I had the Explorer. He found an almost uncirculated 1857 seated liberty dime and at a good depth. It sold me as a capable detector even for dry soil. Someday, however, I want to take the Explorer to the treasure coast beaches and search near the dunes--one place I never had a chance to use it, reasoning that I hunt day or night in inclement and only trust the all-weather Excalibur.

Last edited:
OP
OP
s1u2r3f4

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! That's pretty much what I've found to be true. But it's nice to have more input. now if the sand will just leave...I would also love to hit the treasure coast with the Exp. Too much beach...too little time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread