Anybody ever dive/detect under boat docks

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you luck next hunt!!

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't even imagine how many types of articles you'll find under docks . HH

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug coins, rings and other jewelry around a boat dock on a small lake.

Seems to me allot of movement there putting fishing boats in & out. & add to that fingers get slippy.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boat docks can be really good places, especially public boat ramps, but expect a lot of trash including pieces of aluminum props. I've found a lot of jewelry and coins over the years around these ramps and docks. Another thought for you......find those waterfront rentals with their own little beaches. Most of the time the property owners even get excited about seeing what their beach has collected over the years. :icon_thumright:

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boat Ramps !
Dang I never even though of that!! :) :lightbulb:
Haha great ideas! Thanks guys now I am off to google search for local boat ramps round my neck of the woods! :)
Good luck out there !

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boat Ramps !
Dang I never even though of that!! :) :lightbulb:
Haha great ideas! Thanks guys now I am off to google search for local boat ramps round my neck of the woods! :)
Good luck out there !

Just a tip.....a lot of concrete boat ramps used rebar, which makes them nearly impossible to hunt with many water machines. The Excal is a good choice over and around these ramps.

One other thing, check your laws.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Campgrounds, even the small ones that are on the water. Nearly every waterfront site has water access where swimming has taken place. I use to do week long tours of these campgrounds in places like Michigan where these small campgrounds were numerous. Many of them even had their own little beaches.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never tried to detect a dock. I have seen the amount of trash thrown over the side. I doubt it could even be possible in many locations. Dragging and sifting could work well in these spots.

I have scuba-ed under marinas. There is a lot of trash here too, but some old soda bottles are worth money. People wound sometimes dump old boat (car) batteries over the side and those are worth $$$ for thier lead.

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried a few in the St Lawrence and finger Lakes. Most were too weedy to swing the coil. Many are too mucky.
Weeds are down in the winter - maybe dry suite ?

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to go magnet fishing on Miami River, around the boat yard docks. Did this between age 10-12. Found lots of discarded hardware and on occasion, some tools.

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a tip.....a lot of concrete boat ramps used rebar, which makes them nearly impossible to hunt with many water machines. The Excal is a good choice over and around these ramps.

One other thing, check your laws.

Thanks Bigscoop !
Good point.. Lol a P.I would go nuts round them ..
I like the idea about small camp grounds too we have some round lake Taupo and since Wifey will be going up to Taupo for a quilting expo,, Umm I might just tag along lol :) (Lake Taupo is fresh water too,, a lot less buoyant than salt :) )

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive Never dectected around them before, but about a year ago, I was detecting with a buddy of mine, and this guy came up to us asking if our detectors could go in teh water because he had lost his heavy gold chain while mesing with his jet skis at the boat ramp, I would think thats a prime spot

kitkat420

Nov 30, 2012
I would LOVE to try it. I'm sure there is soooo much to be found. I'm wondering when to venture to the jersey shore where sandy hit its only an hour from me. Who wants to come with?? Lol

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
RH, I have detected under a few boat docks but did not get much detecting done. The muck does noty phase me but all of the trash did. I was picking up enough trash to fill 3 mesh bags and decided the fun meter was pegged. Found plenty of broken bottles which slowed me down from just reaching into the muck. We have boat ramps and docks up here and I am sure there is plenty to find. Best of luck to you. I am sure I will hit a few different one in 2013 to see if my luck changes or if I am doing my duty as a NAUI Green Diver. Either way, it is rewarding. Best of luck again, hope you do well.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure I will hit a few different one in 2013 to see if my luck changes or if I am doing my duty as a NAUI Green Diver. Either way, it is rewarding. Best of luck again, hope you do well.

Have you ever done a group clean-up dive? I think they are called "project AWARE cleanups" or something. I never imagined so much crap can be pulled up year after year. I've seen huge piles of tires, hundreds of gallons of cans and bottles. It's just insane. It's coming from lakes you can see enough to dive, I hate to think whats in the muck lakes you can't dive in.

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a Diver myself....As far a diving around boat docks and such, I would find it very hard to even attempt to dig anything in a lake where the visibility isn't that good. you would be asking to cut yourself, hand or foot.... and the ratio of trash to treasure would be at about 1000 to 1.

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Jason In Edid, I was unable to dive for this project this year. We had a couple of events like that up here, both times, I was volunteering as a life guard and waterfront director teaching Scouts how to swim. Most of my summer is consumed volunteering. Fortunately for me, I live in an area where I am surrounded by lakes, so early morning and night dives are good. I am always picking up trash. I found a glass eye and submitted it to the trashy diver contest and actually won as the most unusual find for October. I was sent a rash guard, not bad for just picking up trash. As a side note, I tried to return the glass eye and the two ocularist (I am sure I have screwed their title up) told me via e-mails glass eye's are made for a specific person and they are relatively cheap. They told me to keep it. It is rewarding to remove the trash, I like it as much as detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread