Wet Suit Experts Needed!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely am going to buy myself a full body suit for the winter months immediately. Just not able to handle the colder stuff like I use to be able to do. One piece? Two piece? 5mm or is 3mm enough for my region? I have a 3mm shorty with long sleeves now that has just been on the warmth/comfort edge the last couple of outings (legs need some suit.) Today, with the colder air and strong wind I completely wimped out...so....time for a new suit but I know little about them. Lay it on me....I'm all ears. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks OBN and everyone else, I just got crashed coursed on both wet and dry suits. This place is Awesomer! :thumbsup::headbang:

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
Having said many bad words while trying to get in and out of wet suits, Last year a bought a "lavacore" suit from Lauderdale Divers . Very easy to get in and out of, wet or dry, like coveralls, and very very warm. Would recommend it anywhere in Florida, even on the coldest days./

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I have a Viking drysuit with the heavy insulated undergarment that I got for a great deal on e-bay and love the warmth and ease of movement. I was really surprised at how light the weight of the suit was. Drysuit is the way to go if you can afford it. I really want to thank OBN for all the good advice when I was looking at wet and drysuits. It came with a neopreen hood, so I just cut out ear holes and they worked great with my headphones. Of course I only wade to neck deep and do not dive.

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
you betcha dry suit is the only way to go.when i get more cheeze i will get one

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you use a dry suit don't drink too much before you get in it! I have two wetsuits, a 5mm farmer John and a 3mm shorty. The shorty is good for those transition periods in the spring and fall. Once the water gets really cold then the 5mm farmer John is the way to go. It will keep you nice and warm, and like someone else posted, it's really three suits in one. If you have a one piece suit, and you end up hunting shallow water on a hot day, you can't shed the top part and will get too warm.

I also recommend buying a wetsuit at a good dive shop where you can try it on. It's important that the wetsuit fits snugly or cold water will get in. I'd also stay away from used suits unless they are not too old. Older wetsuits are a lot stiffer than the new stretchy suits.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 mill top and bottom,about 150 dollars i use that in 60 to 70 degree water and I'm 58, good luck.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, good thing I bought two suits. I used the one without zippers at the ankles and wrist the other day and I felt like I was fighting my way out of my own skin. :laughing7: Both are 3mm 2 piece, and both kept me easily warm, but never again will I buy one without zippers. Geeeezzz.......the kids and tourist were lining up on the beach trying to figure out what was hatching. :laughing7:

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like your MD machines your water suit should be a top priority too, cash in some of your summer gold and and look into a nice dry suit, its a bit on the steep side on the price but like your machines......well worth it

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Link to a temperature guide. I wear a 3 -2mm Farmer John and I am comfortable down to about 60 degrees. If the sun is out at 60 degrees I am great, if it is raining at 60 degrees not so good. Good luck. I bought mine from wetsuit warehouse a few years back and it has served me well. Good Luck on your hunt. Papa

[link removed at request of site owner]

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Now is a good time to purchase, lots of good sales all around. Just picked these up from Scuba.com 2 pairs of boots, Gloves, Nice Zippered Hood, UWcompass, and some zipper wax..121.oo shipped. Most were more then 50% off, but alot of Odd sizes
OBN0017.jpg OBN0019.jpg

Last edited:

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
This is an amazing site, always learning. I dive with a 7/5 wet suit and have a typhoon drysuit for the chillier times like now when you have to break through the ice to dive,(lakes and ponds). Have not done that yet but should be ice diving some time this year. The 7/5 kept me warm in just below 40 degree water. The drysuit can be used in all temp's as you can wear cold weather underwear and layer if need be or shorts. Drinking an extra large black coffee prior to diving in a drysuit is not recommended. Some of the best advise I have read is to go and try the suit on, and the seams should be taped and/or glued. In addition, you can always purchase rashguards or thinsulate undergarments to wear under what you have now. I have only tried the farmer john once and I must admit it was uncomfortable for me. The farmer john or bottom fit fine but when I put the top on, the constriction around my chest was too much for me. Like some have said, it does add mm which I believe adds extra warmth. Another great piece was you do not want to have a baggy wet suit, water will continue to flow through and you will be miserable not to mention the chaffing or binding of material. Try a wet suit on though is key. I have listened to the LDS (local dive shop) folks and all agree that it is best to try it on. If it is uncomfortable above water, it will be an unpleasant experience in the water. Best of luck to you.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a little more info to add to this great thread!

Fit is the most important factor when purchasing a wetsuit. You must try on the wetsuit, as every wetsuit manufacturer's size chart is different. Never buy a wetsuit online. 'Smoothie' neoprene stretches better and is warmer in windy conditions. Seams are also important. The types of seams used in a wetsuit differ greatly.

An "Overlock" seam is found on inexpensive suits. This type of stitch lasts forever but it is not watertight, and can cause skin irritation or a rash as it protrudes against the skin. A "Flatlock" seam is a flat stitch that does not push into your skin like the overlock. It is not watertight, but does not cause as much of a rash or chaffing problem. The "Blindstitch," is a flat stitch that does not penetrate all the way through the neoprene, so there are no stitch holes. It is watertight which makes a tremendous difference. Blindstich seams are found only on more expensive wetsuits.

Last but not least, wetsuit zippers - or closures, are extremely important. "Back-zip" suits are the most common type. Look for a sturdy metal zipper (rather than plastic), and thick flaps behind the zipper to prevent water flushes. You would look for the same qualities in a "Shoulder-zip" suit.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I'm trying to get that good mm thing down. I'm learning there is a big difference in comfort depending on direct sun light VS overcast. Like machines, obviously going to need more then one suit to meet the various conditions. Was in the 3mm 2 piece the other day, comfy as heck in that cool waist to chest deep water when it was overcast but started to get a little overheated when the sun finally came out. :laughing7:

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I'm trying to get that good mm thing down. I'm learning there is a big difference in comfort depending on direct sun light VS overcast. Like machines, obviously going to need more then one suit to meet the various conditions. Was in the 3mm 2 piece the other day, comfy as heck in that cool waist to chest deep water when it was overcast but started to get a little overheated when the sun finally came out. :laughing7:
u still need to contact connie at wet wear in florida
http://www.wetwear.com/pdf/measure.pdf

(954) 458-0400

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you guys think about an immersion suit? They are around a $100 on ebay and though they look clumsy and somewhat rediculous the price is good(thinking about a Stearns orange suit 1590 model). I have been looking for a Mustang msd900 suit for over a year but they are pricey. Any thoughts?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't like the sterns unless it is the ice recue, can't remember the number. Best time to get a MSD900 is the early fall or spring. they can run about 300 when the auction is over....but, they are the best made for cold water. I'm not sure what size you are but I've been watching this one for awhile....used, and 14 years old..looks like the seals are in great shape..and it is a Large.......if I did not have a a couple I would jump on this one....but you will need to layer your cloths with this one...
USGI Pilots Anti Exposure Suit CWU 62B P | eBay

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to hunt all day, and enjoy it...go drysuit. Turned a friend onto drysuits who hunts cooler waters and this is what he had to say after....

a few things - I knew of a few guys that died wearing dry suits - got a slice in them and they filled up with water - drowned
that is why i have never tried one after all these yrs
with my 7mm - drop weights and I float
how can you hunt all dayin a dry suit if you have to pee - guess you can wear depends
(Im diabetic and have to go like every hr and a half - so wearing a dry suit would be a prob for me
I wear 2 piece 7mm with farmer john - I usually get tired before I get cold
7mm boots and kevlar gloves too

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
how can you hunt all dayin a dry suit if you have to pee - guess you can wear depends

My drysuit has a smiley face.... relief with a smile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread