advice needed for first beachhunt

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys,
I'm going out to a lake for my first beach trip and wanted some pointers for success.
This time of year the lake is about 30 feet down from the summer level and I thought I should ask how far from the normal shorelline would you bother going out to? I figured anywhere from where people play on the beach and set up their towels and picnics to some yards from the waters edge to ?? There are also many heavily used docks that are tied to cables so the dock generally comes to rest where it would normally float. I thought that might be good too. Any pointers?
Thanks
Doug

Upvote 0

chuckie

Nov 12, 2012
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Garret Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Doug,

First, I envy you! To be able to work a lake that's even partially drained is everyone's dream.

As I see it, there's two ways to look at it:

1) The beaches and the part of the shoreline that goes to the point where the water would be 4-6" deep would seem to be a prime hunting location.
2) BUT, who's to say that every year the lake is always the same depth? Looking at it this way, I'd hunt the deepest portion first, working out to the beach.

Keep in mind that you want to hunt where there are people, because if there are people you'll find stuff. The beaches and areas that are exposed during the summer will have a lot of people but also will have a lot of other detectorists who may be hunting during the summer months. Those other guys may not be around out of season, so hunt now where they can't during the summer - in the parts exposed.

GOOD LUCK! Let us know how you do.

Chuckie

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go on out as far as it is safe and you are comfortable going. Anywhere that people sun bathed or swam can be a place they lost jewelry and rings. Around docks is also good for lost rings, watches and bracelets. Be prepared for lots of junk and pop tabs but don't discriminate them out or you'll miss gold. Just go slow and dig every signal.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go slow and dig everything that isn't iron. If there is a buoy line that marks off the swimming area, then anywhere inside that would be good. Be prepared for lots of trash, but lots of trash means little or no competition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions