cleaning sea coins

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
I do use a tumbler for the final but am thinking of a quick wash initially , but yeah I'll feed the Coinstar machine in the end!

Samuelljackson

Dec 4, 2012
Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
donkarlos said:
Any good methods for getting the sea-glue-goby-guk off of coins? I usually use a quick vinegar bath on upland coins but it doesn't work at all on goby-guk.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner, with dawn dish soap. I let most stuff run for 8 hours, then check for pre-65s, then I separate the pennies from the rest and tumble in two batches when I have enough. The off to a coin star.

If you soak for several days in dish soap before you tumble, even if you don't have a ultrasonic cleaner, it really helps to break down the crusty coins when they get in the tumbler.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Using the least destructive and slower methods are best for any object of value, but for new pennies I just bash the rubble off with a hammer and finish with a brass wire brush.

Burldrives

Sep 26, 2011
St Petersburg Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
I have used lime away with good results soak for a few minutes use brush and gloves . be sure to rinse well after
Burl

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Bigscoop and some places you get to keep all of the money if you put it on a gift card. They charge 9 cents on the dollar where I live, good luck and HH.

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Thanks Lep. Hey, don't you wish they had a Ringstar for all your rings? HH

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my bank they have a coinstar type machine and if you have an account with them you get to keep every penny!! No charges apply!
Try asking you bank they may have the same deal but the coin machine is at a different location! Thats how I found out!! GL!

SnT

Oh yea I'll tumble for an hour or 2, with Dawn and aquarim rocks (color brown)!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread