Shipwreck Personal Items

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yesterday & today I located a spot that was on my bucket list. Finally got the chance to get there with the minus tides... At first I found just a few coins here and there, but that all changed when I found a pewter spoon, and a silver handle to another object? Then a musket ball, then 2, then 3, wow they were all over the area. Mostly drops... Sometimes there were 2 of them in each hole. This got me to thinking, there must have been a bag or something holding them together at one time?.... I found 2 Large Cents... One was dated 1799, unfortunately it crumbled away to almost nothing, all I did was rinse it under water... That's what happens when in the mud for over 2 hundred years... I found 3 lead flat buttons and 1 brass button... Quite a few lead pieces that I think may have been used for a seighn net?... If anyone knows for sure let me know... I would really like to date this wreck. I also located the keil to the ship up high in the sand...A padlock and a sterling wine cork stopper... I also had a sight find, it was this beautiful octagon shaped bottle without a flaw on it anywhere... It stands about 12 inches high... Anyone know anything about what I have?... It's still corked, and seems to have some seeds or something in it.. Can't wait to see what the other Large cent looks like. I should also say that all these items were in a very small area, maybe a 50 x 50 spot. Happy Hunting and if anyone knows what I have, give me jingle... Shipwreck Items (2).JPG Shipwreck Items (3).JPG Shipwreck Items (5).JPG Shipwreck Items (6).JPG Shipwreck Items (9).JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Neat bottle. When I had my shop, about once a month a couple of guys would come in with boxes of old bottles they had dug from old privys and old dump sites. They had quite the collection and some of them were pretty valuable. :thumbsup: I don't know if he still has them, but my younger brother had two sealed wine bottles from a 1700's wreck that he found on the beach after a storm. Also been some Spanish coins and other items found in the same area over the years, but very spotty and scattered over a long stretch of beach, about a mile.
Bigscoop , if you ever need help finding more of those scattered coins let me know...I'm In Buddy....

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Great site for sure... The Pepper sauce dates about 1850-1870. Sometimes, these bottles contained gooseberries. Are you wading across this wreck? or, is it a dive?

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Great site for sure... The Pepper sauce dates about 1850-1870. Sometimes, these bottles contained gooseberries. Are you wading across this wreck? or, is it a dive?
Wish Iknew a little more about the seeds inside... wading and wet sand

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Whydah, you hit the jackpot with those finds!

I would love to find a pewter spoon; very nice find!.

I am thinking that the bottle may be a "poison bottle" due to its unusua shape ...here is a link to some info

Antique Poison Bottles

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are few more pictures... can the bottle be dated? View attachment 722910

Hello Leighton,

Please pardon my bolloxing your handle, Whydah, in that other post. This appears to be a key or hinge mould base, which would put it 1865ish to 1870ish. Are there any other markings on this pepper sauce?

hostetterbase.jpg

"Key mold base with the deceptive appearance of a post base mold. Dr. Hostetter's / Stomach Bitters (Pittsburg, PA.) - ca. 1865-1870 (Wilson & Wilson 1969). Bottle Bases Page

~~~~~~

I forgot to ask you about the small item to the left of the large spoon that seems to be disgorging the coins. What does that look like all up close & personal?

722817d1357690834-shipwreck-personal-items-shipwreck-items-2-.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread