Shipwreck Personal Items

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yesterday & today I located a spot that was on my bucket list. Finally got the chance to get there with the minus tides... At first I found just a few coins here and there, but that all changed when I found a pewter spoon, and a silver handle to another object? Then a musket ball, then 2, then 3, wow they were all over the area. Mostly drops... Sometimes there were 2 of them in each hole. This got me to thinking, there must have been a bag or something holding them together at one time?.... I found 2 Large Cents... One was dated 1799, unfortunately it crumbled away to almost nothing, all I did was rinse it under water... That's what happens when in the mud for over 2 hundred years... I found 3 lead flat buttons and 1 brass button... Quite a few lead pieces that I think may have been used for a seighn net?... If anyone knows for sure let me know... I would really like to date this wreck. I also located the keil to the ship up high in the sand...A padlock and a sterling wine cork stopper... I also had a sight find, it was this beautiful octagon shaped bottle without a flaw on it anywhere... It stands about 12 inches high... Anyone know anything about what I have?... It's still corked, and seems to have some seeds or something in it.. Can't wait to see what the other Large cent looks like. I should also say that all these items were in a very small area, maybe a 50 x 50 spot. Happy Hunting and if anyone knows what I have, give me jingle... Shipwreck Items (2).JPG Shipwreck Items (3).JPG Shipwreck Items (5).JPG Shipwreck Items (6).JPG Shipwreck Items (9).JPG

Upvote 0

chuckie

Nov 12, 2012
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Garret Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man-o-man, what a haul! Whydah you can start your own museum! Sorry to hear about the large cent. That's a shame. Let us know about the other one.

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Here are few more pictures... can the bottle be dated? and what are the smaller items ...made of lead.... I know the big one was used as a sounding weight... Shipwreck Bottle (2).JPG Shipwreck Bottle (3).JPG Shipwreck sounding weight.JPG Shipwreck tools (1).JPG Shipwreck tools (2).JPG

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
You might have better luck dating the lock. Just type in pictures of late 1700s to early 1800s locks on line and see if you can locate it. If there is some kind of makers mark it would also narrow the search.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice haul whyda..kinda looks like remains of a pirate ship:icon_thumleft:

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day!!! I don't think I would have stopped!!

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice finds Whydah
Try here Dating Page
HH Jim
Thanks Jim, It has been narrowed down somewhere around 1860 's or so. One person said they found one just like it at a camp from the 1700's... I just saw that these have been salvaged off the S.S. Republic a few years ago with contents in them also... I am on cloud nine buddy.... Happy New Year

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice haul whyda..kinda looks like remains of a pirate ship:icon_thumleft:
OBN, now that would be just plain awesome If I could prove that...

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat bottle. When I had my shop, about once a month a couple of guys would come in with boxes of old bottles they had dug from old privys and old dump sites. They had quite the collection and some of them were pretty valuable. :thumbsup: I don't know if he still has them, but my younger brother had two sealed wine bottles from a 1700's wreck that he found on the beach after a storm. Also been some Spanish coins and other items found in the same area over the years, but very spotty and scattered over a long stretch of beach, about a mile.

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made some great relic finds! Nice job!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread