37g 18k Monster Necklace & Pendant

harpda

Nov 24, 2012
Asia
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Onthespot called yesterday afternoon to do a bit of metal detecting and I was a bit hesistant at first because i'm supposed to be studying for a test coming up...but we all know how that goes. Of course I couldn't say no. The night started off slowly cleaning up a lot of pulltabs and bobbypins but then I went to a part of the beach that we had both worked before. It was dark and I was growing a bit inpatient from trying to locate small bits of metal going through the sand scoop spending too much time on unproductive digs. I thought this dig was going to be the same way. After the initial scoop, I didn't have the target. I scanned the ground and there was a signal, I quickly kneeled down expecting to find another pulltab, jabbed my hand into the sand and this monster gold chain is wrapped around my hand! My heart skipped a beat. I didn't even try to find a stamp in the dark. So I get home and the first thing I do is check the stamp, 18k, then onto the pendant which is the heaviest part, sure enough it's 18k as well. Yee-hawww!

Being in Japan, where common everyday coins can be worth $6 and the most common coin is worth over $1. My purpose for going out was to find coins to use as spending money. They are perfectly liquid and on a good day I was able to find $80 in Japanese Yen in 6 hours of hunting the dry sand. But this chain is a game changer. Like OntheSpot told me one night, most folks aren't looking for Yen here, they're looking for gold and platinum. That made sense to me, but precious metals are fairly illiquid. But now i'm a convert. Now I realize that this is where the money is at and this will be my focus. According to the precious metal calculator this chain is worth $1,500 in melt value--which is about the same price as an excal 2 and good scoop. Hmmmm. My $97 Bounty Hunter has served me well but I can't even get close to the wet sand without it throwing a tantrum; and I want to get in the water just to see whats out there (besides seasnakes).

18k1.jpg 18k3.jpg 18k4.jpg IMG_1043.jpg

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now for the decision..... do i sell it? That decision could make it hard to upgrade..... congrats.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread