My 1st try at "all metal mode".....first bobby pin find in 7 yrs. of detecting...need

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My 1st try at "all metal mode".....first bobby pin find in 7 yrs. of detecting...need

ID help on one of the rusty items recovered.

Hi again:hello:

Well, it was 26* out this morning , but with sunny /blue skies who could resist the call of the beach!:hello2:

Lots of iron on the particular area of this beach that I wanted to hunt...absolutely no sounds from Disc mode....like a flat line EKG::)

Decided to try out "All Metal"..never used it before. It took a little time getting it ground balanced, sensitivity setting , volume, and threshold, but I finally figured it out...I think8-)

I kinda liked it for where I was today even though mostly rusty items were recovered.. including a strange medallion- type of item.

The rim of this "medallion is 1/16" wide , and on closer scrutiny there are criss-cross fibers on the front inset.:icon_scratch:

If anyone can help with ID of this type of medallion, I would appreciate the input.

Soaking it in olive oil in an attempt to clean it .

Here's a couple of pics

Thanks for looking

Lorraine

DSCF2010.JPG

DSCF2014.JPG

DSCF2015.JPG

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a real good first Am hunt...And it does makeup for those days where there is no targets...on those nails and BBpin...if you sweep over the target from the other direction you should get a double beep, plus you can turn the senstivity up for deeper targets...Good Luck...

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Lorraine: Congrats on the bobby pin. I have a couple thousand if you decide to start collecting them. I would let them go for a good batch of brownies.

Don't fall victim to the double beep. Yes, most likely it will be a bobby pin. However, a ring on its side makes a double beep as well. The double beep comes from a break in the solid metal where other matter is picked up. I have found really cool things on double beeps, including a gold earring.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congratulationsredblue.gif
By Hamid

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds
th_yourock.gif
awesome.gif
th_army.gif
angelprayer.gif
Lorraine
By Hamid!!

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry for last post
sorry.gif
crying2.gif

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lorraine,

No killer finds but at least you got to swing the coil.........here in Montreal it's minus 24 and minus 37 with the windchill factor.....no wonder I feel as grouchy as a bear woken up from hibernation.....lol.

Crispin has a point on the iffy signals....found a gold heart locket with chain this summer which I gave to my wife....had a mixture of a solid signal with scratchy signals mixed in.....you just never know until you dig it up.

Regards + HH

Bill

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something to be said about all metal. Discrim vs None. I swung an Excal for a few months this past year. I always ran it wide open, and would switch over to discrim to double check targets. In just a weeks time, I picked up 3 gold engagement rings, single solitaires, that the Excal would not touch in the barest of bare discrim. mode, but would give a slight ping on, in all metal.

The old addage always rings true: He who digs the most trash, finds the most treasure.

Get'r done!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know about that one Guru..... i been swinging a DF for a few weeks now and aint found nuffin but crap no one else wanted to dig. Picked up the Xcal today.... yes i do use PP, and came home with a nice piece of yellow. Rarely is disc deeper than AM. Have to say thou Guru..... sure works for you. right now if you aint hunting in PP your arm is about to fall off at the end of the day from all that swinging and no digging. Bleak out there.

Dew

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I like slowing down in all metal,with a lil guy coil its even better for me.
and I always dig the iffy singnals. course I like square nails.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hamid, why are you sorry for your last post? I liked it! :hello2:.

I like all those emoticons.

Lorraine
I was posting the logo, but it was delete, i didn't know the reason and finaly i post those emotions. Happy hunting Lorraine!!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Lorraine, keep it up.:sunny:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Hi B63..good to hear from you. Maybe see you on the beaches soon....have you heard from Charlie lately?

I miss seeing him on the beaches.

HH
Lorraine

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont know about that one Guru..... i been swinging a DF for a few weeks now and aint found nuffin but crap no one else wanted to dig. Picked up the Xcal today.... yes i do use PP, and came home with a nice piece of yellow. Rarely is disc deeper than AM. Have to say thou Guru..... sure works for you. right now if you aint hunting in PP your arm is about to fall off at the end of the day from all that swinging and no digging. Bleak out there.

Dew
dew guru hit the nail on the head

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you start hunting in PP/AM with either the Sov or the Excal the first priority is to put a quality set of headphones on the machine, otherwise it's just too easy to miss those deep faints and subtle threshold breaks. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread