Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I was out at high tide and as the tide started to go out the wind picked up and pushed the water higher. Water was too choppy to go waist deep unless you were willing to take a beating.

I must have dug 200-300 targets. Slim pickings in some areas, but if you listen to the sand it will guide you to the targets. I was hunting with SS, VCO, sensitivity all the way. I was digging DEEP. I brought the small pieces of trash home to prove to everybody that I went. I easily found 2 dozen bottlecaps and another 50 pieces of bigger slaw and crab pots that I emptied out of pockets into trash can several times. The shell is the coolest find. I am happy to share what I know.

Ps. Don't even think about calling me cupcake!
md 002.JPG md 003.JPG md 004.JPG

Upvote 0

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use to run my SS at Max sensitivity and I did ok at that setting. I am hunting the same beaches, but my finds have been incredible after I turned everything down but the volume. I run Threshold aimed at the T & H of threshold, sensitivity a hair past factory preset (About 1 pm) and Volume at about 90%. I am digging really old yen, deep, in areas I thought where cleaned out. On a day that is slow, try it out, I think you will like it. You will lose your hearing, but you will find more!

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Better days are coming ....

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Yeah I have yet to find a real difference in finds when changing the pulse setting high vs low on the SS. My finds have been low in general, so it makes it hard to tell.

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that's what they mean by bobi pins.I saw that first picture and new it had to be a pulse

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, those two beaches need some recovery time. the waters too cold for the tourists, and the winds are keeping them in their clothes while walking.

P a G and St. Pete Beach have been about the same.

I hate those crab trap pieces almost as much as sparkler wires.

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you moved a couple of yards of sand. Good exercise.

I lasted about 3 1/2 hours yesterday morning at Ormond Beach and dug but a small fraction of your effort before the 20 mph sustained wind did me in.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same experience this past week there in Treasure Island. Was down there for a family get together and stayed at the Bilmar Resort. It was my first opportunity to use my Minelab Sovereign GT and I had pretty much the same luck you did. Stayed in the dry sand and some down by the water's edge but man.......those pull tabs and pieces of can-slaw are EVERYWHERE! Did find one small toe ring (possibly silver plated) but not much else. Here is a picture from the first day:
20130118_183822.jpg

One tip if you plan on going back, there was a huge kite flying contest there right in front of the Bilmar that went on the whole weekend. Several hundred people were there and sitting all over the beach. Some may have made deposits there in the sand. Might be worth checking out! Good luck!

P.S., I believe the state of Florida should pay a bounty on that crap for keeping the beaches clean!

Last edited:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont get discouraged. The beaches you hunted have been re nourished over the last month or two which have buried the summer loot.

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mad Beach and TI were not renourished. Refurbishment stopped at Redington beach.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now i know why im not using a PI..... thanks for reminding me.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any day on the beach is better then any other day. :thumbsup: Well....unless you're a dead whale. Then maybe not so good. :laughing7:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Crispin, that surely was an ambitious hunt!:hello2:

Good luck on your next time out

Lorraine

Burldrives

Sep 26, 2011
St Petersburg Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
I am at TI about once a week close to home .32 cents last time out but no crab traps now with the excall

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread