Like a rat in a coffee can

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help me I am sanded in and can't get out!

My favorite beaches have been sanded in - what should I do.
1. Search for beaches which have not sanded in, or better yet eroded?
2. Change to larger coil sizes on my current VLF detector so I can detect deeper and cover more area?
3. Break out a PI and dig all?
4. Stay home today and treasure hunt another day.

Great answer but:
1. I can only get to beaches near where I live, I fear to venture further as the piece of junk I drive may or may not shift into high.
2. Changing coil sizes works well for treasure hunting on dry and wet sand, but sucks for shallow water hunting as it is not waterproof and I need to detect in the water at depths below waist level.
4. So I have lost another day treasure hunting waiting for the PI which I need to order to arrive.
3. This is where it gets nasty, As there are no local detector stores, I cannot get hold of one or test it and there are no local treasure hunting clubs. So around and around I go, like a rat in a coffee can, loosing day after day while trying to decide which PI works best for treasure hunting in Hawaii, so that I can order it.

A. Do I buy the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, to treasure hunt in Hawaii. I like being able to use the small 8" mono coil for diving and shallow water hunting and the larger 10"X14" DD coil for hunting on wet sand. No way do I want to play Lawrence of Arabia on dry sand with it, I would never survive digging all the trash up. Also, I don't like the measly one year warranty.

B. Then there is the Tesoro Sand Shark - I have read that it is good on small gold but does not go as deep. I think I would really like the VCO mode to home in on the target and it's hard to beat a lifetime warranty but: The spiral antenna is a concern as I have read that it tends to act like a rudder or flip up in strong surf.

C. Or is a White's Surf master PI Dual Field better? I heard the small coil is sensitive to gold and you can go deeper with the larger coil. I saw one in action and it almost looked like you could walk on water with it till I realized the detectorist was just trying to hold the search coil down. The bright yellow color is a plus as it would be easy to spot if I got swept out to sea.

D. Last but not least to consider is the Garrett Infinium LS. I think I would really like this beastie, as it is the most versatile being designed to find gold nuggets, coins, gold, treasure caches, and relics and you can dive to 200 feet with it. But I have heard that it has a longer learning curve as you have to master ground balancing, adjusting the frequency, and get used to the LO/HI and HI/LO tone for target discrimination.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently shallow water hunt in lagoons with an Excalibur and hunt on wet & dry sand with a Sovereign.

I don't want to risk using the Excal is in unprotected waters and strong currents as it is too expensive for that and am looking for a lower cost option.

I am considering selling the Sovereign as it can be easily damaged by water and it rains almost every day where I live and replacing it with a PI.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't do any thing , beaches all over the World are sanded in. Just read everyone is saying the same thing our beaches are sanded in. In 2004 all the sand was gone. Think of this . The Earth in 2011 it just finished its wabble. The earth wabbles on its axis one full circle every 28,000 years. In 2009 in July here in Fl. I noticed that the waves started to get bigger and ended up with more sand moving . This year the ocean is a little calmer , the sand is starting to go away on some beaches . That why I say do nothing just wait ,watch the waves and see what is going to happen.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1988 I bought a new Skeeter Bass boat, silver and blue metal flake, beautiful boat. At the time I was traveling with it a lot, it was my baby, my fishing machine that I had purchased so I could fish in nearly any situation. It had all the bells and whistles, fast and sleek. Anyway, one day while I was on Dale Hallow Lake it dawned on me that I was so worried about scratching the boat that it was keeping me from fishing in any situation, so....and this is a true story,....I told my cousin to reel in his line and take a seat and that we were moving to another spot. Ten minutes later I drop my boat up onto the gravel beach so I wouldn't have to worry about scratching it anymore. :laughing7: Caught a lot more fish after that. Get that Excal out there, let it do what you bought it for. :thumbsup: If you can't find it with the Excal odds are you won't it with anything else. Save the money, or simply buy a used 800 or 1000 for all the risky work.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, just get a tether for the Excal and go for it!

eddiebb

Jan 23, 2013
Massena, ny
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, tesoro cibola, and a Tiger shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Tiger Shark...warranty is awesome...not that I have had to use it yet...but it is nice to know its there....I have to wait for the ice to leave the rivers here now in NY....but when it does I will be using it again

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, this is a Zen answer, but it's applies.

When I was learning to fish I was given one lure. That's it, one. No tackle box full of lures. Just one.

When I was about 10 I was told that every lure will catch fish. You just have to learn how to use that one lure correctly. Don't keep changing lures and rods and lines and yadda yadda... learn the one lure and catch fish with it.

The lure was a curved yellow thing with a black spot near the eye and two hooks. Ugly thing. I threw that thing over and over. I finally ended up with a big walleye.

Everyone else wanted my lure.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loved your Zen answer GIB.

I metal detect in Hawaii, mostly shallow water hunting, however I have been invited to detect nuggets in a producing location in Northern California this summer.

Assuming that the fish that I am after is one of gold (rings / nuggets - size unknown) and one of the two detectors was given to me: Garrett Infinium LS or a Tesoro Sand Shark.

Which would be a better gift to me (based on performance only):
The more vestal and deeper detecting Infinium, with its longer learning curve.
Or the easy to use sensitive sand shark.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Loved your Zen answer GIB.
... however I have been invited to detect nuggets in a producing location in Northern California this summer.

Assuming that the fish that I am after is one of gold (rings / nuggets - size unknown) and one of the two detectors was given to me: Garrett Infinium LS or a Tesoro Sand Shark.

Which would be a better gift to me (based on performance only):

I own both machines. I would use the Infinium for nuggets.

Having said that... the easiest thing to do, and the best gift you could give yourself would be to invite me to go along and bring both of my machines with me. That way you could try them both out FOR FREE!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions