wallhanger124

Greenie
Jan 17, 2013
Vineland, NJ
Detector(s) used
Excal2 and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought an excal2 this past weekend right before the price went up. This is only my 2nd detector ever, my 1st being my fisher f2 that I bought in Nov 2012. I know some of u will think this is a dumb question but I can't find the answer in the owners manual, and it took me a long time to finally get this detector so I don't want to risk damaging it. Anyways the question I have is can u damage the excal2 by using it in really cold temps? The high temp for south Jersey this week is only supposed to be in the mid to upper 20s. In the owners manual it says the operating temp for the rechargeable battery is 32F-113F but it doesn't say anything about the detectors temp range. I know that in the cold, batteries tend to drain faster, but is there any real chance I could damage them or the detector. I really want to hit the beach, but I don't want to damage the detector. Thanks, Kyle

Upvote 0

abeach01

May 9, 2010
USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXCALIBUR X10
Hello and good luck with the new excal. I have been using excals since 1991 and know just about everything about them there is to know. I can tell you first of all I have used mine when I had to bust ice out of the way with my scoop to hunt. Should work just fine for you as long as you do not take your machine to extreme temp shifts ( like hunting in 30 degree water on an 70 degree day.) all should be fine. You have to remember that plastic gets brittle in cold and stiff also so I would not adjust controls underwater ( I do not ever do this but use the older excals that are less protected on the pots. If water is to ever enter an excal it always seems to get in through the pots ( knobs). I think you will find extreme cold temps to be very hard to hunt in for long periods but sometimes the lower lake levels make off season hunting worthwhile. Be careful if using waders as there is no gold worth drowning for and waders full of water get really heavy. Good luck on your hunt. Jim

OP
OP
W

wallhanger124

Greenie
Jan 17, 2013
Vineland, NJ
Detector(s) used
Excal2 and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice guys. I plan on doing some wet sand hunting down at the shore today, probably Atlantic City. I don't plan on taking the excal in the water until it warms up some. Hopefully I will find something today that is worthy of a post. Thanks again, Kyle

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice guys. I plan on doing some wet sand hunting down at the shore today, probably Atlantic City. I don't plan on taking the excal in the water until it warms up some. Hopefully I will find something today that is worthy of a post. Thanks again, Kyle

let us know what you find! HH

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only assume if the battery discharges to much in really cold weather you have a change of them bursting. Fully charged battery rarely do. Extreme cold isnt good for any electronics.... they can sweat going from cold to warm.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread