A Growing Occurrence

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is happening lately? Recently it seems there are more hunters on the beaches who simply have no respect for their fellow hunters. Use to be if you saw a guy working a small cut or an area of beach you moved on and looked for another spot to hunt, but lately it seems they want to crawl right up along side you, or quickly jump in the same hole or cut and cut you off, ect. Today one guy came up so close behind me his frequency started disturbing mine. Is this becoming a growing trend or I have a I just been witness to a couple of freak occurrences lately? Sure has been a lot of new faces and a lot of new machines on the beach lately, maybe it's just a lot of newbies who don't know any better? Anyone else seeing more and more of this same type thing? I hope not. :dontknow:

PS: Don't want this to come of as a rant, but just curious if this going to start becoming a common thing?

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is happening lately? Recently it seems there are more hunters on the beaches who simply have no respect for their fellow hunters. Use to be if you saw a guy working a small cut or an area of beach you moved on and looked for another spot to hunt, but lately it seems they want to crawl right up along side you, or quickly jump in the same hole or cut and cut you off, ect. Today one guy came up so close behind me his frequency started disturbing mine. Is this becoming a growing trend or I have a I just been witness to a couple of freak occurrences lately? Sure has been a lot of new faces and a lot of new machines on the beach lately, maybe it's just a lot of newbies who don't know any better? Anyone else seeing more and more of this same type thing? I hope not. :dontknow:
PS: Don't want this to come of as a rant, but just curious if this going to start becoming a common thing?
I saw this same thing in the sport of flyfishing. The movie "A River Runs Through It" came out, and suddenly everybody wanted to be like Brad Pitt in the movie. Needless to say, 90% had no idea of the unspoken rules, and ethics of the sport. I hasd one old guy hogging a hole in Yellowstone Park a couple of years ago. I thought he was being selfish. I caught him later, and quietly explained that the rules were to make a cast or two, and then move down the hole a few feet, and keep doing it. That way everybody gets an eventual chance at the best water. I assumed he'd be unhappy, and have bad words for me. Instead, he thanked me. He had notice people getting out of the water, and going around him, but didn't understand what was going on. He was new, and untaught. He was back the next day, and happier, because he fit right in. Speak up, but nicely....the guy that's acting rudely may just be ignorant...not a bad person.
Jim

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after seeing my 2012 gold - tons of people i know and work with want to run out and buy machines - so that is whats happening down your way too- they all want the gold and they think it is so easy - i had a couple of easy ones but worked my tail off for the others
unless they get lucky - they will go out and use it a couple of times and then youll see more new/used machines up on ebay

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many lurkers just like on the fishing forum, someone reports a school of reds and the next day 100 people are hammering them. No one want's to work for it on their own...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The amount of competition has easily doubled in the last couple of years. I think this probably has a lot to do with it. A lot of guys were use to being able to freely roam the beaches without running into too many other hunters, but now, you just can't roam around like that anymore, especially on a nice day during low tide, even through the week. I think many of these roaming hunters are getting a bit frustrated by it all. :dontknow:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it is a sign of our times.
One does not have to be treasure hunting to see it.

I get cut off all the time at the grocery store.

Had a tourist who was with his wife come up and take a zinc penny from the dirt pile before I had a chance to spread it. I didn't say anything as I hate zinc pennies more than pull tabs and bottle caps which are easier to discriminate against, and he was really happy to find it. The guy wasn't rude, he was just not aware.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• SmallHass.png
    SmallHass.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 86

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have not had this problem, yet, but I keep finding huge holes left by fellow hunters. I mean BIG holes! They were probably too worn out to fill them back in.

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Terry, get rid of the"While He is Metal Detecting." This may help keep these folks away. I stopped hunting with a guy who would rush out and start detecting and then as soon as I was ready, he would come right over and cut me off constantly. I spoke to him about it and it did not register that this was rude behavior. No problem, have fun on your own. Not sure I could detect with folks having little to no respect. Best of luck dealing with these folks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, I've noticed it a bit more lately too. I was working a grid on the beach last weekend and another detectorist came by and jumped right ahead of my projected path and started digging targets. It didn't seem to phase him a bit when I pointed out that behavior like that is rude. Also, when you approach another hunter to speak to them, turn off your machine and remove your headphones....then wait until they've finished their recovery and they're ready to talk.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lack of manners and respect started as a trickle in the '80's then seemed to exacerbate upon itself. Now the floodgates are open. Add the access to easy info, media that re enforces bad behavior, promotes easy money and demonstrates methods & instruction (like Youtube) with the increase in precious metals and there they are. The instant gratification crew even has a plethora of spot burners and I'll even add cell phones.
Besides MDing-bad manners & lack of respect are rampant in my other pursuits.Fishing,Surface collecting (rocks,fossils,artifacts).
Use to have to put time in and research. I will give one credit to the bad-behavior people---at least they actually get off their duff-away from the computer and DO something. That being said-you have to take the modern term of ENTITLEMENT into the equation. They truely feel entitled to do as they please. When you are entitled you no longer need to worry about any responsibility for your actions.
I won't waste time with too many stories. Cell phone fishermen, getting mugged when you catch or find something, people running down a beach to walk 10' in front of you surface collecting, free country speeches, surfers beating newbies, people reaching in you holes before recovery or standing in the predator spot while you're MDing. List goes on.............
If you stand your ground-you can end up with physical confrontation and possible legal issues. If you ignore or succumb-you re enforce the very behavior that you want to stop.
I've been fishing and surface collecting over 50 years. MDing since '83. To make an understatement-things have changed. They are getting worse-with NO end in sight.
Besides locations drying up and being closed down-the factor that affects me the most is just how much it takes from my enjoyment.
So I do all 3-Sometimes I confront,sometimes I try to educate and sometimes I just walk away.
Rant-I guess so.
People that are members of sites like this give me hope.
Thanks,
GT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions