A Growing Occurrence

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is happening lately? Recently it seems there are more hunters on the beaches who simply have no respect for their fellow hunters. Use to be if you saw a guy working a small cut or an area of beach you moved on and looked for another spot to hunt, but lately it seems they want to crawl right up along side you, or quickly jump in the same hole or cut and cut you off, ect. Today one guy came up so close behind me his frequency started disturbing mine. Is this becoming a growing trend or I have a I just been witness to a couple of freak occurrences lately? Sure has been a lot of new faces and a lot of new machines on the beach lately, maybe it's just a lot of newbies who don't know any better? Anyone else seeing more and more of this same type thing? I hope not. :dontknow:

PS: Don't want this to come of as a rant, but just curious if this going to start becoming a common thing?

Upvote 0

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always give room. But the other day it looked like a boar went through. Didn't even attempt to fill their holes. But I choose to think that it's ignorance until proven otherwise:icon_thumright:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a growing problem up this way as well. Claim jumpers like to hop right out in front.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had any problems, but I like to hunt the "unpopular" spots of the beach, in other words, going against conventional wisdom. And it's working. Gold, silver, shipwreck stuff.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop,

Unfortunately common courtesy isn't as common as it once was.....just a sign of the times.....just doesn't apply to metal detecting.....heck I still hold doors open for other people at shopping centers, etc.....quite often I don't get so much as a thank you.

Regards + HH

Bill

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive ran into that few times. one guy recently when i was working the wet sand..... followed close enough right be side me that i could hear his detector. He never looked up so he didnt want to talk. Finally i took off my head phones and asked if he want to hunt this spot or which way he wanted to go because id go the other way. He had to been hearing me.... i was using a PI. he just huffed off in the other direction. I didnt want to be rude but neither of us was doing any good side by side. I have some small beaches around me but i try to watch and see where others are hunting and head for the other end. You cant help but pass each other .... or you have to hunt behind them. Either way is fine with me...... makes ya kick the sand when they pull the BIG thou doesnt it lol.

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not so sure it's all new hunters either. Today the beach was crowded, several detectors on the beach, but still enough open beach that nobody had to hunt on top of other hunters, and yet it seemed they were doing so anyway. Just been kind of strange that way lately, never really noticed too much of it before. :dontknow:

I watched one smiling hunter with an Excal today bop in and around other hunters like he was trying to make friends, but he certainly he wasn't. Not only that, but he walked over more ground then he was hunting. In the hole, out of the hole, along the side of the hole, into the back of the hole, then out of the hole and around a hunter, then into the hole in front of the other hunter again, then down the waterline, then back again, then back into the same hole again, then out again....and I only watched him for about 20 - 30 minutes! :laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop,

I seem to recall you had mentioned you're like 6'4"....heck I'm only 5'6" and I'd give them a good slap to knock some sense into them.....lol.

Regards + HH

bill

gaboynfla

Nov 19, 2012
Edgewater Fla.
Detector(s) used
B H Sharpshooter 11
Garret Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bigscoop,today I had a guy come close to me also.He had a costly machine and a 200 dollar scoop.He might have seen all the dig spots I dug,and had to come!How did you do today,I couldn't go 5 feet without finding a coin.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I haven't seen this yeti, but it is so cold that the brass monkeys are staying near the fires. HH Boris

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop,

I seem to recall you had mentioned you're like 6'4"....heck I'm only 5'6" and I'd give them a good slap to knock some sense into them.....lol.

Regards + HH

bill

Nooo, not me.....I'm not even 6' unless I stand on top of my scoop. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bigscoop,today I had a guy come close to me also.He had a costly machine and a 200 dollar scoop.He might have seen all the dig spots I dug,and had to come!How did you do today,I couldn't go 5 feet without finding a coin.

A lot of coins on the upper beach. Pulled some deep greenies and reds today off the lower beach. Been doing a bit more cherry picking lately, digging the questionable stuff, etc. So far it's been a pretty good year, can't complain.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen this yeti, but it is so cold that the brass monkeys are staying near the fires. HH Boris

Boris....I gotta tell ya, I use to rent this little cabin back in the forest during those cold winter snows when I lived up north, had this little fireplace in the corner of the room with a big glass window that overlooked a wooded valley with a small lake. All I would do during my stay was eat, toss a few logs on the fire, and sleep. Man I miss curling up next to that fireplace and trying to stay awake long enough to watch the falling snow. :icon_thumleft:

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big I am a fishing guide and the only time I get to go tictin is when it is to miserable to fish then you don't see anybody but the hardiest (crazyist) mders.Or like the other day I hunted a beach that was so rockey it took 5 min. to dig each target. If it is tough people don't like to work hard.There were so many targets I don't think anybody has ever tried to d tect it.

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a skimmer go right through the area I was hunting today.....had a stupid look on his face when I glared at him. If I wasnt filling in my holes, he would have sprained an ankle.

Big Scoop, what part of Florida do you hunt?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a skimmer go right through the area I was hunting today.....had a stupid look on his face when I glared at him. If I wasnt filling in my holes, he would have sprained an ankle.

Big Scoop, what part of Florida do you hunt?

North Central East Coast mostly.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehehe, bigscoop I woulda swore you was here in Southeast Fl with me! :laughing7:
Yeah, every now and then, some inconsiderate(unknowing) person, thinks he can shadow you.
I'm digging the dog-dookey outta target in the water, man comes with his Excal all over me,
kittys' a roarin. :cat:
I had to say; "Dude, ya machine is all over mine, I'm digging a target, wanna back up some"! :violent1:
You'da thought I asked him to cut off his........ arm, or something. ::)
I was glad he got away from me. Normally I'm as nice as pie. Inconsideration of others brings my care meter WAY down! Rawr!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always fill my holes. I saw somebody left a 2' x 3' hole open two weeks ago. Jeesh! The first time somebody falls in one, the beaches will be off limits.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of new names on the forum, have you noticed? i do think there are new hunters out there that don't know how to act! lots of new Christmas presents being tried out. big question is how long will anyone stick with it once they find out how hard it is?

anyone that has a chance to correct another detectorists behaviour should absolutely do so!!!!
chuck.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cat,

Just give them a big slap down and tell them it's from bill from lachine.....I've got wide shoulders....send them north and I'll kick their butt for you....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Hehehe, bigscoop I woulda swore you was here in Southeast Fl with me! :laughing7:
Yeah, every now and then, some inconsiderate(unknowing) person, thinks he can shadow you.
I'm digging the dog-dookey outta target in the water, man comes with his Excal all over me,
kittys' a roarin. :cat:
I had to say; "Dude, ya machine is all over mine, I'm digging a target, wanna back up some"! :violent1:
You'da thought I asked him to cut off his........ arm, or something. ::)
I was glad he got away from me. Normally I'm as nice as pie. Inconsideration of others brings my care meter WAY down! Rawr!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread