A Growing Occurrence
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: A Growing Occurrence

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8657 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

A Growing Occurrence

What is happening lately? Recently it seems there are more hunters on the beaches who simply have no respect for their fellow hunters. Use to be if you saw a guy working a small cut or an area of beach you moved on and looked for another spot to hunt, but lately it seems they want to crawl right up along side you, or quickly jump in the same hole or cut and cut you off, ect. Today one guy came up so close behind me his frequency started disturbing mine. Is this becoming a growing trend or I have a I just been witness to a couple of freak occurrences lately? Sure has been a lot of new faces and a lot of new machines on the beach lately, maybe it's just a lot of newbies who don't know any better? Anyone else seeing more and more of this same type thing? I hope not.

PS: Don't want this to come of as a rant, but just curious if this going to start becoming a common thing?
    boris likes this.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

us
    Oct 2011
    On the brink....
    Minelab Excal II Minelab Explorer ll Sov Gt
    184 times
    Metal Detecting
    I always give room. But the other day it looked like a boar went through. Didn't even attempt to fill their holes. But I choose to think that it's ignorance until proven otherwise

us
    Jul 2010
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    708 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    It's a growing problem up this way as well. Claim jumpers like to hop right out in front.
    He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure! | Tesoro Sand Shark Fan Page

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    22882 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I haven't had any problems, but I like to hunt the "unpopular" spots of the beach, in other words, going against conventional wisdom. And it's working. Gold, silver, shipwreck stuff.
    s1u2r3f4 likes this.

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    38637 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    bigscoop,

Unfortunately common courtesy isn't as common as it once was.....just a sign of the times.....just doesn't apply to metal detecting.....heck I still hold doors open for other people at shopping centers, etc.....quite often I don't get so much as a thank you.

Regards + HH

Bill

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1058 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Ive ran into that few times. one guy recently when i was working the wet sand..... followed close enough right be side me that i could hear his detector. He never looked up so he didnt want to talk. Finally i took off my head phones and asked if he want to hunt this spot or which way he wanted to go because id go the other way. He had to been hearing me.... i was using a PI. he just huffed off in the other direction. I didnt want to be rude but neither of us was doing any good side by side. I have some small beaches around me but i try to watch and see where others are hunting and head for the other end. You cant help but pass each other .... or you have to hunt behind them. Either way is fine with me...... makes ya kick the sand when they pull the BIG thou doesnt it lol.

Dew

us

Jun 2010
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8657 times
    I'm not so sure it's all new hunters either. Today the beach was crowded, several detectors on the beach, but still enough open beach that nobody had to hunt on top of other hunters, and yet it seemed they were doing so anyway. Just been kind of strange that way lately, never really noticed too much of it before.

I watched one smiling hunter with an Excal today bop in and around other hunters like he was trying to make friends, but he certainly he wasn't. Not only that, but he walked over more ground then he was hunting. In the hole, out of the hole, along the side of the hole, into the back of the hole, then out of the hole and around a hunter, then into the hole in front of the other hunter again, then down the waterline, then back again, then back into the same hole again, then out again....and I only watched him for about 20 - 30 minutes!

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    38637 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    bigscoop,

I seem to recall you had mentioned you're like 6'4"....heck I'm only 5'6" and I'd give them a good slap to knock some sense into them.....lol.

Regards + HH

bill

us
    Nov 2012
    Edgewater Fla.
    B H Sharpshooter 11 Garret Sea Hunter Mark 2
    7 times
    Hey bigscoop,today I had a guy come close to me also.He had a costly machine and a 200 dollar scoop.He might have seen all the dig spots I dug,and had to come!How did you do today,I couldn't go 5 feet without finding a coin.

us
    relic hunter

Dec 2011
    Cape Cod
    tesoro stingray
    88 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I haven't seen this yeti, but it is so cold that the brass monkeys are staying near the fires. HH Boris
    s1u2r3f4 likes this.

us

Jun 2010
    8657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bill from lachine View Post
    bigscoop,

I seem to recall you had mentioned you're like 6'4"....heck I'm only 5'6" and I'd give them a good slap to knock some sense into them.....lol.

Regards + HH

bill
    Nooo, not me.....I'm not even 6' unless I stand on top of my scoop.

us

Jun 2010
    8657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gaboynfla View Post
    Hey bigscoop,today I had a guy come close to me also.He had a costly machine and a 200 dollar scoop.He might have seen all the dig spots I dug,and had to come!How did you do today,I couldn't go 5 feet without finding a coin.
    A lot of coins on the upper beach. Pulled some deep greenies and reds today off the lower beach. Been doing a bit more cherry picking lately, digging the questionable stuff, etc. So far it's been a pretty good year, can't complain.

us

Jun 2010
    8657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    I haven't seen this yeti, but it is so cold that the brass monkeys are staying near the fires. HH Boris
    Boris....I gotta tell ya, I use to rent this little cabin back in the forest during those cold winter snows when I lived up north, had this little fireplace in the corner of the room with a big glass window that overlooked a wooded valley with a small lake. All I would do during my stay was eat, toss a few logs on the fire, and sleep. Man I miss curling up next to that fireplace and trying to stay awake long enough to watch the falling snow.

us
    Aug 2011
    Southwest Florida
    Garrett & Fisher Minelab Excaliber II Garrett Pro Pointer
    432 times
    Big I am a fishing guide and the only time I get to go tictin is when it is to miserable to fish then you don't see anybody but the hardiest (crazyist) mders.Or like the other day I hunted a beach that was so rockey it took 5 min. to dig each target. If it is tough people don't like to work hard.There were so many targets I don't think anybody has ever tried to d tect it.

us
    Shawn

Apr 2012
    Saint Marys Georgia
    Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
    392 times
    I had a skimmer go right through the area I was hunting today.....had a stupid look on his face when I glared at him. If I wasnt filling in my holes, he would have sprained an ankle.

Big Scoop, what part of Florida do you hunt?
    Last edited by Hag730; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
    2013 Totals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links