Carbon Fiber Shaft

apple

Sep 26, 2011
In the winter like to make something I can use when I start hunting again in the Spring. Today I made a carbon fiber shaft that I can fit into my suitcase when I head to the Tropics. The handle upper section is carbon fiber and the cuff is made from using a stock excal cuff by cutting bottom off so it sits on top of shaft.replaced stainless screws with nylon screws. Don Tyler Merrimack,NH

Attachments

• IMG_5444.JPG
    IMG_5444.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_5443.JPG
    IMG_5443.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_5442.JPG
    IMG_5442.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_5441.JPG
    IMG_5441.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 262
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Don that looks real good, Very clean...Sometimes I think the carbon fiber helps as far as EMI, Coil wire wraped around alum tube and the fact that your no longer swing a big piece of metal pipe with a metal detector.........:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
A

apple

Sep 26, 2011
Don that looks real good, Very clean...Sometimes I think the carbon fiber helps as far as EMI, Coil wire wraped around alum tube and the fact that your no longer swing a big piece of metal pipe with a metal detector.........:icon_thumright:
Thanks Makita hand drill some drill bits and a hacksaw 32t blade, you can make anything. Just kidding. I was thinking of making one for my T2se, what a great under rated machine. that detector I think can smell metal, Don,t know if I want to tear it out of stock coil. Thanks again Don Tyler

wallhanger124

Greenie
Jan 17, 2013
Vineland, NJ
Detector(s) used
Excal2 and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks great. If u don't mind me asking, about how much did that shaft cost u to make?

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice and Happy hunting!!

OP
OP
A

apple

Sep 26, 2011
Just under a $100.00 72" shaft enough to make 2 shafts plus $28.00 for hand grips but you can get cheaper, then cut bottom off stock excal arm grip, couple dollars for nylon bolts&nuts. salvage spring clip.

OP
OP
A

apple

Sep 26, 2011
added pictures

In the winter like to make something I can use when I start hunting again in the Spring. Today I made a carbon fiber shaft that I can fit into my suitcase when I head to the Tropics. The handle upper section is carbon fiber and the cuff is made from using a stock excal cuff by cutting bottom off so it sits on top of shaft.replaced stainless screws with nylon screws. Don Tyler Merrimack,NH
Added pictures of Carbon Fiber Excal shaft Don Tyler Merrimack,NH

Attachments

• IMG_5445.JPG
    IMG_5445.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_5447.JPG
    IMG_5447.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_5446.JPG
    IMG_5446.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_5448.JPG
    IMG_5448.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 196

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great job, Don! You are very talented!

Thanks for the pics...very nice!

Lorraine

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious Don, how does it hold up against the currents while detecting?
Does the shaft flex a lot? How is it for balance after a long day swinging?
BTW....very nice, clean job on the build. :hello:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Goldnuggets, been using one for a few years now...no problems, even better is the shaft never gets stuck because of the sand and salt...There are many advantages.....one important thing is if you have ever worked with fiberglass, this is the same. You need long sleeves, rubber gloves, and a dust mask..

Carbon fiber is some tuff stuff..here is a shaft that is half the weight of the normal carbon fiber shaft, all is still in the works...Can Slaw turned me onto this.... OBN0003.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread