DD coil question

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD is always better no?:tongue3: Seriously though, the DD coil will work better on the beach because it will separate the targets better (beaches can be very trashy / target rich) AND DD coils handle mineralization that is usually found on the beach better so you will get a little better depth stability versus another type coil. Good luck,
TDNY

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember the ace 250 is not a beach detector you will need to turn your sensitivity down or the minerals in the Salt will drive your detector nuts if you hunt below the high tide line.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil: Regardless of the coil used you are best off looking for fresh drops on dry beach sand. Best places to look are entrances, parking, above the high tide line where people put down their towels, beach concessions - anywhere money is handled.

Stay away from the wet sand or in the water as the mineralization will cause your detector to false alarm.
You are currently using a concentric coil which has a cone shaped pattern. It detects deeper and is easier to pin point as the target will be in the center of the smaller coil. It requires that you overlap 50% to 75% each sweep as it only covers a small area deep.

In contrast the DD coil has a narrow long pattern at the bottom, like a cleaver. As a result overlapping is not as important. However, there is some loss of maximum depth and it is more difficult to pin point (hint - use a wide scoop). It also handles mineralization better as you only see the narrow strip under the coil verses the entire cone seen by a concentric coil.

When I started detecting with the bounty hunter pioneer 505, also a low end detector, I had a lot of fun experimenting with coils, the trick being to purchase extra lower shafts so that you can rapidly change search coils. I had a lot of fun with it, and still use it to scout new beaches and hunt on dry sand as it is light.

You will later need to upgrade to a higher end multi frequency VLF or a Pulse Induction detector to hunt wet sand and in the water
I recommend going the multifrequency route with discrimination so that you do not have to dig everything. You do not want to use a PI where there is a lot of ferrous (iron) junk unless you like to dig, dig, dig.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

neil1218

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2013
Kissimmee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I will be doing more parks and inland areas than beaches. So would I be better off using the concentric coil in parks? Would the DD coil be to hard to pinpoint in the grass?.

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I will be doing more parks and inland areas than beaches. So would I be better off using the concentric coil in parks? Would the DD coil be to hard to pinpoint in the grass?.

If you're doing more inland areas and parks with low mineralization technically, a concentric coil will outperform a DD at depth because of the larger search field however, they make the DD coils a little bigger now to make up for that SO....I'd say you're ok. DD is more precise with pinpointing but you'll need to practice. Place coins right on the surface and run the machine over the coins and note the coil position-to-coin-to-tone.
Good Luck,
TDNY

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil
If you are hunting parks and lawns, it is better to spend your money buying a sniper coil (4 diameter or smaller coil) aka hockey puck to pin point more accurately as well as a pin pointer to more easily find a target in the smallest possible hole.

You should also learn how to retrieve shallow coins with a screw driver rather than cut plugs to minimize damage to manicured lawn(s).

There are several videos on the internet which show you how use a screw driver to retrieve coins without digging as well as how to properly cut into the ground to do the least damage to the grass.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD does separate better in most cases..... but a concentric sometimes depending on recovery of the machine will pick up a target under another which is masked by a DD. Concentrics take in a LOT more soil that has to be processed than a DD. DD is simple to PP..... as you move the coil back toward you once the tone weakens or disappears its right at the tip of the coil... very simple. Small Concentrics because of their cone foot print and ability to see on both sides of an otherwise masked target sometimes are a better choice in a park and are often deep than a DD... depending on coil shut down.

Dew

OP
OP
N

neil1218

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2013
Kissimmee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Im going to get the pro pinpointer and then see how I do in the parks with the coil I have for now. I feel like im getting the pin pointing down with this coil. today I found my first ring! I think its just a kids ring but its my first ring so its still cool to me!

Just for future reference is the AT Pro a good beach detector?

OP
OP
N

neil1218

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2013
Kissimmee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife says it is a toe ring and might be real silver. I dont think it is though lol either way its tiny. I think I might go to Indialantic Beach tomorrow.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it dont stick to a magnet good chance its silver.... otherwise scratch it with a scratch pad.... if it turns redish... its plated copper. the AT Pro is a good dry sand machine.... being single frez it wont be and affective salt water machine.... fresh water great a little more sensitive to gold than the multi frez with a salt setting.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread