Upvote 0

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to purchase a Xterra 705 soon. Would love to know what you think of yours. Looks like, from your photo that it came from wet sand.
I've read that wet sand can be difficult to detect. Have you had any issues? Any words of wisdom you might want to pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
~C~

OP
OP
grizj

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's a nice unit and works good in the wet sand to the waters edge i got this one for rotting around in the dirt but (just when you think your out the beach pulls you back in) no issues at all .Your machine will tell you how much sensitivity it wants the closer you get to salt water,just drop your sensitivity till the falsing clears up.I run all my units as hot as i can.Take some targets out and bury them in the sand and do your testing thats how i like to do it,iam just not a air tester one other thing ( if in doubt dig it out ) If i can help in any way just give me a holler. Good luck

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice Griz, and you can read the date...thats rare from that location.....:icon_thumright:

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a nice unit and works good in the wet sand to the waters edge i got this one for rotting around in the dirt but (just when you think your out the beach pulls you back in) no issues at all .Your machine will tell you how much sensitivity it wants the closer you get to salt water,just drop your sensitivity till the falsing clears up.I run all my units as hot as i can.Take some targets out and bury them in the sand and do your testing thats how i like to do it,iam just not a air tester one other thing ( if in doubt dig it out ) If i can help in any way just give me a holler. Good luck

Thanks, I appreciate the offer!:hello:
~C~

OP
OP
grizj

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Thanks obn, a little yellow man showed up had it in my hand but not mine,love your videos.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Great find, grizj! :wav:

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I use a 705 for now on beaches. A few questions- what coil and the TID ? What kind of depth were you getting?
I use a 5x10 DD and I've got coins to 9" in wet or dry sand.
Thanks

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!!

OP
OP
grizj

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
GTzer, Right now iam using the stock coil that came with machine,i did some sand testing with a ring & some silver.It hit the quarter at 12 inchs with no problem,mans size 11 gold ring about 11" and a 22 case way deep thats with a stock machine in the dry sand.iam still playing with it.its a nice machine but my excal will eat its lunch.(gdmax has his on the beach more then i do maybe he can add some light) Good luck 2 ya

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grizj,
Thanks for the info, That is some good depth. I have 4 coils but I have only used the 5x10DD (was suggested) Only did 50 hrs or so w the xterra-on the beach- since i got it a year ago. I ID with Tone AND TID so I'd still like to know what it read.
My bucket list has one of those very coins from that very beach on it. I was actually there twice -when the stumps were sticking out of the clay. (didn't even have my MD w me either time) (fished there more than 100 times and MDed there maybe 10x
I'm pursuing the excal. For now with my limited (& $) time near saltwater I'll make due with the 705. Hope to have enough time to experiment with some different coils on the sand.
Perhaps one of my trips there will coincide with you, obn or gdmax being there.

OP
OP
grizj

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
GTzer,I can make it most weekends be great to have the company give me a holler (unless the crabs are running good.)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
GTzer
Perhaps one of my trips there will coincide with you, obn or gdmax being there.
Would be welcome...
I hope to be down there alot more this year, selling the place in Baltimore and headed East, Going small, I tired of cutting grass and picking up limbs. Looking for a TownHouse around Ocean View, I want extra bedrooms so I can rent them out to treasure hunters, cheap, should be some good times........

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grizj & OBN,
Thanks for the replies. Real familiar with that area from my youth. Used to drive just to fish the tide at IRI-or sometimes MD w my old Whites. Then drive home. 260 mile round trip. Hard to do now that I'm older. (old enough to fall asleep at the wheel-that is) It would be a nice change from my solitary ways.
If fact the only time I witnessed a Hibernia find was when a friend and i drove down after a NEster. We decided to grid a section of beach to narrow our search. Sure enough my friend found the only one that day. So I hope to make it happen sometime. I'm on a never ending quest for knowledge.
There are two locations in that area that a find would mean more to me than any of the other sites I know of. It's because of the 13 + summers I spent in the area-on those beaches almost daily. Wish I had a MD then.
OBN- nice area and great idea.
Sometime soon I will post a few specific questions regarding a choice of a beach/water MD. Still doing my research-but perhaps you would add some of your expert advice.
Thanks
GTzer

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting