First Beach Detecting in the Water

alienbogey

Jun 21, 2007
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently had the chance to use my new water detecting rig on a Fort Lauderdale beach. I had my new Excal in a hip mount and 720i scoop with travel handle. I'd never tried detecting in the surf before. Observations/lessons learned:

The waves were about 3' and pretty much kicked my butt. It was hard to impossible to swing the detector against water rush, and going with the rush made my sweep too fast. Coil control was not really workable.

I found the 720i to be too big for me in the waves. The surge whipped it around so that when I wasn't struggling to control the coil I was struggling to control the scoop.

After a while I realized that where I needed to be (I think), was further out, outside the breaking waves, but I would have been waist-too-chest deep to do it, and on a 70 degree day (if that), with 20mph winds, I figured I'd get too dang cold.

So I moved to the wet sand and dry sand. There I realized that the 720i was still too big. I tried dragging it and it tended to partially fill with sand it became a real, ahem, drag. So I carried it but it was heavy. Then, when I scooped, it got REALLY heavy and it was difficult for me too shake it to filter the sand out.

The Excalibur worked great and I started to climb the learning curve. I dug pretty much everything in order to learn the tones and by the end I was predicting the target with reasonable accuracy for a first session. I found junk and 98 cents in clad.

I also had a good time.

BUT, I'm now in the market for a new water scoop. Requirements:

Must be considerably lighter than a 720i.
Must have a travel handle with no piece longer than 24"
For use almost exclusively in sand, with little or no rocks, gravel, or anything but sand.

Suggestions?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to surf detecting! In the water, you want a BIG scoop, because as you found out, it is difficult to pinpoint and plant the scoop accurately. Practice and timing in the breaking surf makes a difference. A lot of us use wetsuits, fast release weight belts and snorkles in chest-high surf. Hit the gym and keep at it! Now, in the wet and dry sand, try this: RTG SUPREME BEACH SCOOP (#702) Buy Sand Scoops, Beach Scoops, Moose Scoops, Water Scoops, Sand Sifter

OP
OP
alienbogey

alienbogey

Jun 21, 2007
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply and suggestion, but the description for that scoop says dry sand only, not for water.

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting observations from your water hunt.

I've not yet been out in the surf with the detector. Water temps are about 60 degrees F. Temps should warm into the 70's by March.

I'm still a bit nervous about sharks. Particularly after that big great white was tracked off the beach in Jacksonville.

There have also been a few attacks on surfers here in recent years.

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" WATER SCOOP. You can get the travel version of this scoop which breaks down. You can also have RTG add a grab handle for lifting and stainless lip for extra strength.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting observations from your water hunt.

I've not yet been out in the surf with the detector. Water temps are about 60 degrees F. Temps should warm into the 70's by March.

I'm still a bit nervous about sharks. Particularly after that big great white was tracked off the beach in Jacksonville.

There have also been a few attacks on surfers here in recent years.

You're right up the coast from me. The current is going to be your biggest obstacle, better start using the weights and doing your aerobics. The amount of drag can be very wearing on the arms and shoulders. Also makes it difficult to control the coil, strong currents, pounding surf, and shoving swells. And we won't even get into the recovering of targets other then to say, start practicing in the dark or with your eyes closed while letting the neighbors shove around. Sharks are the least of the challenges. :laughing7:

gaboynfla

Nov 19, 2012
Edgewater Fla.
Detector(s) used
B H Sharpshooter 11
Garret Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet it is tuff out there.I just got my new Stealth Classic water scoop today,and planing to hit the water this weekend!I have to tell you I'm a little nervce about the sharks myself.I've been told to not pick up my feet because of the stingrays.I think I can handle that,i just hope i don't lose my nerve when i get out there.HH.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet it is tuff out there.I just got my new Stealth Classic water scoop today,and planing to hit the water this weekend!I have to tell you I'm a little nervce about the sharks myself.I've been told to not pick up my feet because of the stingrays.I think I can handle that,i just hope i don't lose my nerve when i get out there.HH.

Yep. Forgot to mention the stingrays. Usually they will move out of the way with the passing of the coil, but flounder on the other hand can be really stubborn and let you step right on them....scares the heck out of you every time because you instantly think it's a stingray! :laughing7: Just take it slow for a while, learn to get a good feel for the currents and swells before you get too bold. Keep your coil in contact with the bottom as you pass it in front of you so you'll know a hole is ahead of you before you step into it. And practice reading the color and motion of the water around you and ahead of you. When you're in the water on this section of the east coast you always have to be on guard. Pay attention to the rip threat flags, and learn to spot potential danger areas and/or conditions ahead of time. Even during low negative tide periods the currents can still be very strong. And last, get use to things going bump in the dark, during the summer and fall your detector shaft and legs are going to be getting bumped frequently by passing marine life, just goes with the territory. :icon_thumleft:

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right up the coast from me. The current is going to be your biggest obstacle, better start using the weights and doing your aerobics. The amount of drag can be very wearing on the arms and shoulders. Also makes it difficult to control the coil, strong currents, pounding surf, and shoving swells. And we won't even get into the recovering of targets other then to say, start practicing in the dark or with your eyes closed while letting the neighbors shove around. Sharks are the least of the challenges. :laughing7:

I've been practicing in the shallow surf. That is hard enough for now.

Swingin' the Excal for about 4 hours every day has definitely beefed up my bony old arms.

How bad is it if a Stingray pops you? Are we talking amputation?

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out gravediggermax's reviews on different scoops. Just did one this week. He also has a YouTube channel with all of his videos there....

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1027108

I feel ya on the 720i scoop....I have one as well but haven't been out in deeper water with it yet. It is a BEAST and can move some material but yeah.......is a little heavy. Max calls it a "young man's scoop". I tried a couple of the scoops that max has yesterday and they both were so much lighter than mine! The ones he reviews have removable handles so you can put on whatever kind you want.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been practicing in the shallow surf. That is hard enough for now.

Swingin' the Excal for about 4 hours every day has definitely beefed up my bony old arms.

How bad is it if a Stingray pops you? Are we talking amputation?

Been lucky, not been popped by a ray. But they carry a poison in that spine in their tail, infection is also always a possibility. I'm sure there are members on here who have been popped or know people who have. The worst damage I've had so far was a small shark bite on my left big toe, thing came darting into a shallow tidal and grabbed me just as I was driving my shiny stainless steel scoop into the sand, then he just sort of slowly swam away as if saying, "Ooops! Sorry! Thought it was a mullet! My mistake!" :laughing7: Drew a little blood, left a couple of small moon shaped cuts above and below the toe. Little guy wasn't but about 16 inches long. Odd thing is, I saw him coming out of the corner of my eye and sorta paused a brief moment to watch him swim by. Never dawn on me that he was about to hit high gear after my toe. :laughing7: I figure he just got confused with all the reflection from the bright sunlight bouncing off my scoop and toe. Who knows what he was thinking. :dontknow:

gaboynfla

Nov 19, 2012
Edgewater Fla.
Detector(s) used
B H Sharpshooter 11
Garret Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice on the holes,havent thought about holes out deep.I remember my brother steped in one when we were kids on vaction,that got his attention!Well plans change,Works slow so my first water detecting adventure will be tomorrow.I'll be taking my trout fishing waders and see how it goes.I've read a couple of books and alot on this forum trying to prepare for my first water hunt.I guess the best way is be carful and just do it!Thanks for the help Big Scoop,I like reading your, and so many other peoples theads on this site.Good luck out there everyone.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice on the holes,havent thought about holes out deep.I remember my brother steped in one when we were kids on vaction,that got his attention!Well plans change,Works slow so my first water detecting adventure will be tomorrow.I'll be taking my trout fishing waders and see how it goes.I've read a couple of books and alot on this forum trying to prepare for my first water hunt.I guess the best way is be carful and just do it!Thanks for the help Big Scoop,I like reading your, and so many other peoples theads on this site.Good luck out there everyone.

NO WADERS! If they fill with water you'll be like a rolling stone on the bottom! The "very tight" neoprene waders are less risk but still risky. Loose fitting waders can be a death trap in currents if they fill with water. The east coast is no place for loose fitting waders, one good wave or fall and you could find yourself in real trouble!

gaboynfla

Nov 19, 2012
Edgewater Fla.
Detector(s) used
B H Sharpshooter 11
Garret Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya,but yes I have the tight neopreme kind.they come up to my arm pits and right under my neck.I've slipped on rocks in north ga. fishing and only get my arm wet.I do remember the the big loose fitting kind,use to see them when I was little.I know duck hunters still use them today.I have a mississippi medal detecting slash hunting trip planned for the end of this month with a good friend
,after that going to look at wet or possibly a dry suit.Don't know much about them being from Ga.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions