Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So continiuing on in cleaning out the truck from the Sandy Hunts as desribed in Part 1, here are all of the assorted beach relics and different glass items.
It's a very interesting assortment of older items that mostly were churned up from the Atlantic Ocean :icon_thumleft:

Beach Relics & Assorted Munitions :

The unusual little beach shoe I found at the top of the high tide mark about 2 weeks after Sandy...It is made of all rubber and for some reason I just had a feeling it was something older, so I put it in my jacket..
Turns out from my research that it appears to be from the 1920's or 30's..

The imprinting inside reads:

Health-Gard
Anti-Acid Rubber
Neutralizes Perspiration
Made By Climax Rubber Co. U.S.A.

Climax was an automobile tire manufacturing company that operated out of Columbus. Ohio back in the 1920's-30's...At first I thought that it couldn't be that old, but then I realized something...Just look at the design imprinted on the shoe...The bathers are all wearing the old school tank top beachwear...Bingo !!

Also found was a large assortment of older Shotgun Shell Headstamps most likely dating from the early 1900-s to the 1950's , by many different manufacturers and in many diff gauges..

Next up is a large assortment of different calibur bullets and shell casings..I'm not too well versed in ammunition, so unless someone can identify them, I do not really know their ages or type of gun...Any help would be appreciated...

Two very cool older items are the large piece of copper sheathing from the hull of an old ship and the large piece of a very old ship spike...

An old metal Milk Cap probably from the 50's-60's

An old metal Retco Co Phila Pa. Big Chief One Quart Liquid Can Top

The rest are assorted brass pieces, two newer spoons and a pile of keys ..

sandyhunts6JPG.jpg

sandyhunts67PG.jpg

sandyhunts11.jpg

sandyhunts10JPG.jpg

sandyhunts9JPG.jpg

sandyhunts8.jpg

Bottles & Seaglass:

With some help from some members I think we have identified the two complete bottles..

Clear Bottle is a Tru Ade Non Carbonated Soda Bottle dating from the late 50's to to 1960's

Green Bottle is a Sparkle Up or 7 Up Bottle from the late 50's to 1960's

Coke Bottle is from Charlotte, NC - age unknown

My favorite piece in the entire picture is actually the half broken aqua-marine bottle..Believe it or not a guest came on another forum last year and asked if anyone knew where to find one of these bottles as it was from their Great Grandfather..Though it is not complete, I actually found one :D

Jacob Natter Atlantic City, NJ Dating from the late 1880's

Natter was a merchant of Atlantic City, in the inlet area during that time period and had a number of different businesses, which one was a beer brewer...
Very cool history behind it and it is currently a pen and pencil holder on my desk...Wish it was complete, but those are the breaks..I LOVE it !!

The rest are misc pieces of broken sea glass, some with markings and others not...Bromo Seltzer, Dairies, etc...

sandyhunts14JPG.jpg

sandyhunts16JPG.jpg

sandyhunts15JPG.jpg

sandyhunts17PG.jpg

I don't know about the rest of you all, but this kind of stuff can actually make my hunt just wonderful as I love finding bits of history...Maybe this stuff is not that valuable, but just as rewarding to me as finding gold, silver and any old coins, sometimes even better :headbang:

Good Luck & Happy Hunting to you all !!!

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I congratulate on these finds.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Nice assortment of sea glass. From the smooth edges on the glass they have been there for a long time. I will have to look for your other posts because surely you found some gold along with all that "stuff" HH. Papa

OP
OP
Bigpoppa

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Nice assortment of sea glass. From the smooth edges on the glass they have been there for a long time. I will have to look for your other posts because surely you found some gold along with all that "stuff" HH. Papa

From one Poppa to another Papa THANKS :)

I wish you were right about all the gold...I'm a hard worker on the beach with little pay..LOL

I did find the three chunky silver rings during these hunts and also a heavy men's 14K ring with two diamonds...I'll sniff out that yellow eventually :)

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B.P. That old sea glass is the cats bleep!
I here the blue is very hard to come by,
it brings a good penny on Ebay.
That's a great assortmentent of finds you have there.
Lots of digging,I'm beat just looking at it all

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
That sea glass is pretty cool stuff!!! I have to admit I'm one of those people who sees it but steps right over it and keeps on going. I'm gonna have to pay closer attention.

The shoe? Hmm? That's really cool!!! I think you're right about it's age. But, rubber from the 1920s? IMO no way that shoe has been on the beach for very long. It's in way too good a condition. Rubber, especially vulcanized rubber doesn't really deteriorate. There are no microbes to eat it. What it does do, eventually is breakdown and break up into smaller pieces. IMO, that shoe looks to be in way to good a condition to have spent much time outside. Probably a wash out from someone's home. Regardless, if I'm not finding gold those are types of things I love to find. Good Job!!!!

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Work Poppa, lots of kewl bottles

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
I LOVE that old shoe find, Bigpoppa....a rare find!:hello2:

Also I love those old bottle finds; their origins are fun to research.

Thank you for the historical information..very interesting!

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread