Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My family and I are going on a cruise at the beginning of March. We will be leaving on a Saturday, but staying in a hotel at Cocoa Beach Friday night. I was thinking about taking my metal detector to try out early Saturday morning before we board the ship. My question is, is it worth it? Do people find good stuff on the beach, or should I just forget it?

If I do take it, does anyone have any tips? Where to go, what part to search, what things I should take. Anything will help.

Thanks

Decided to move this here since it's more fitting. Didn't know it was here until after I posted it originally. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are using the quickdraw II you will need to hunt the drysand, it will not hunt the wetsand. what do you mean by.... "what things you should take"?
chuck.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you are using the quickdraw II you will need to hunt the drysand, it will not hunt the wetsand. what do you mean by.... "what things you should take"?
chuck.

I know that I have to hunt dry sand. I have gone in wet sand and found a few things, but it gives way to many false signals. I just wondered if I would need anything in particular other than my metal detector and a shovel?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that I have to hunt dry sand. I have gone in wet sand and found a few things, but it gives way to many false signals. I just wondered if I would need anything in particular other than my metal detector and a shovel?
You dont really need a shovel, you can move the dry sand from side to side with your foot and recover the target faster than you can with a shovel. Dont do it barefooted though...dive boots or tennis shoes. Take the shovel in case but I bet you end up using your foot. Most good finds are in the wet sand and water but many nice finds come from the dry...good luck.

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should take the detector on the cruise also!! Good luck!

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should take the detector on the cruise also!! Good luck!
I plan on it. I have to wait until my parents decide what beach we're going to, that way I can check with the laws. I really wouldn't want to lose my detector or end up in jail for something stupid.

Is there any way to make a sand scoop? I'd like one, but I don't want to buy one for just the few times I'll get to detect the beach.

Thanks

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown gave good advivce! hunt the towel line and areas where people sit or play. you will need.....a finds pouch for trash and treasure, sunscreen, drink. in what area will you be staying?
pier, jetty park, ron jons?????

chuck

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm staying about 2 blocks away from Ron Jon's at the Comfort Inn. I plan on going out early (sunrise), so I shouldn't have to worry about sunscreen. Then again, I'm just recovering from the -20 degrees we just had here, so I'm not even sure how I'm going to be able to prepare, haha.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will let you borrow a drysand scoop. just let me know by e-mail or pm when you are here!
chuck.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really wouldn't want to be a bother. Do you live close?

yes, i live very close! dont worry about bothering me, ill probably be out there hunting somewhere!

chuck.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll talk to you again closer time. It might be raining for all I know. If you are going to be out though it would be very helpful. Thank you very much.

Dynamo76

Aug 31, 2012
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

What part of pa. I'm from Pittsburgh and have the same machine. I have hit the beach twice this year and have found gold in the dry sand. Not much luck in the wet sand.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

What part of pa. I'm from Pittsburgh and have the same machine. I have hit the beach twice this year and have found gold in the dry sand. Not much luck in the wet sand.
A little further east near Somerset. Not sure if you have ever heard of it or not.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Before you leave, get a hand held sand scoop, preferrably with wire in the base rather than drilled holes. Wire-bottomed scoops sift much faster than that with holes. Also, just by using the scoop will retrieve finds much faster leaving more time to search which equates to larger volume of finds and better opportunity to find the good stuff. The scoop can last for years and years and will help you make some amazing finds. As posted above, always carry water and use sunscreen before you begin the hunt. BTW... my avatar, a 1911 $5 gold piece was found on a beach. You will never know what may surface next. The mystery alone makes the hobby great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might try to make a sand scoop. I don't think that it would be too hard. I just need to find the right material to make it out of. If not, I might have to take seeker41 up on his offer. That's pretty amazing you can still find old gold coins on beaches. I thought they were pretty much limited to old homesteads now.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck with your hunt. Remember to say out of the dunes. They are protected.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where all do you have to detect? Are there dunes on Cocoa Beach?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Detect all the flat beach. You will see the dunes and the vegetation protecting them, it's obvious. You can detect every where else on the beach as long as you don't have to roll any fat people out of the way to get under them.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, I didn't plan on venturing far from the water line. Sounds like I should be good there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread