A Hole Through My Heart

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I had an exciting day at the beach, the locating of a deep dark hole and a offshore perfect wind granting me access, what more could a treasure hunter ask for. By all accounts it was perfect conditions and a near perfect situation. The only left to discover was just how deep the hole was and exactly what was in it? Wetsuit, finds pouch, scoop, detector, and I was quickly headed into the deep dark unknown. Another treasure hunting adventure had just begun.

Clay and shell, that’s what was in my scoop after recovering the first heavy lead weight, tarnished and crusty it had certainly been there a while. Twenty minutes later I had three more lead weights, all of them blackened by the elements of the sea. As I got to the center of the hole the current was threatening to drag me away and the surges were frequently invading my neck, scooping anything from the bottom was becoming suddenly becoming very unlikely. And then “BANG”…..a perfect honker tone, that hollow sounding, “HELLO!”

Ten minutes, it took me ten minutes and several attempts to recover this target, the surges constantly blowing me off of my target and my bouncy allowing me no means to force the scoop into the firm clay, sand, and packed shell. By the time I recovered this huge ring I was worn out and lacking the strength to continue my hunt. But I left the hole excited, the ring was huge, very heavy, and the bet part, it carried a slight shade of nice shiny gray!

My eyes suck these days! When I get to the shore I can see that something is inscribed inside this heavy band but I simply can’t read it, but I can tell that it isn’t faded and that the inscription is nice and clean and screams, “Classy”. Yep, at this point I’m really pumped up, I’ve seen all of this before and I felt this kind of dense weight often enough to recognize its meaning. “Platinum!” It looks, feels, and simply screams, PLATINUM!

17.5 grams of bright shiny gray, I can stick both of my pinky fingers into this size heavy 14…..”Tungsten Forever” ring. From this moment on I am launching an official protest against Tungsten jewelry! :BangHead::evil5::protest:

plat.jpg

Upvote 0

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story. Just shows that persistence pays off! I know ALOT of MDers hate finding tungsten or titanium but I'd rather pull up a tungsten than a silver. Just saying.

You could easily get $25.00 - $30.00 dollars for that on craigslist or ebay. Silver is around $30-$31 an ounce right now. If you really don't like the tungsten rings you can put them in a box with all your pulltabs and mail them to me.:hello: I'll gladly take them! PM me and I'll send you my address.:laughing7: Good luck out there.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick recon of completed ebay listings will display that used tungsten rings have no demand or value unless they are somehow embellished, i.e., stones, gold highlights, etc. I'd take silver any day over tungsten, silver adds up and there is even the possibility of increased value. But that's just my opinion based on what I've researched in regards to tungsten jewelry values and dealing in the used jewelry markets. I have sold them in lot deals in the past but they bring very little when compared to the weight of silver. Crafters will buy them in lots sometimes though I have no idea what they do with them. :dontknow:

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Great account which I enjoyed reading right to the end. At least you found a ring!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tungten rings have very little re sale value...Ill take silver anyday.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tungsten - it's the new Platinum!!!

My heaviest ring to date is a Tungsten ring. i did same as you. Jumped for joy until i read the band.

The wedding band industry - jewelry manufacturers, have figured out that they can use Tungsten and charge premium prices. The old connection to Gold is not as strong for the current generation as it was for gens past. It's all form and no substance.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my buddy hit a 23 gram one back in jan if u remember - size 11
damn new age metals.........the younger kids see it as streight in marriage, plue the fact of gold rings retail is high and these tungsten, titanium and colbalt are not cheap when u have to purchase one.

i use to hate finding sivler rings and i love to find them

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tungsten is a very important element since it appears on the periodic table too

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Winter Park, FL – Several trucks loaded with “Tungsten Forever” rings, were stolen late yesterday just outside the city. The Tungsten rings were destined for jewelry stores up and down the east coast of Florida. According to law enforcement officials in Winter Park, a suspect was seen breaking into one of the missing trucks by several witnesses.

“The suspect was shouting ‘Platinum, Platinum!’ and broke the driver’s side window of the vehicle with a large metal scoop of some sort to gain access to it,” said County Sherriff G.T. Wot. “We have some leads, and we will continue to pursue them,” said the Sherriff.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Winter Park, FL – Several trucks loaded with “Tungsten Forever” rings, were stolen late yesterday just outside the city. The Tungsten rings were destined for jewelry stores up and down the east coast of Florida. According to law enforcement officials in Winter Park, a suspect was seen breaking into one of the missing trucks by several witnesses.

“The suspect was shouting ‘Platinum, Platinum!’ and broke the driver’s side window of the vehicle with a large metal scoop of some sort to gain access to it,” said County Sherriff G.T. Wot. “We have some leads, and we will continue to pursue them,” said the Sherriff.

Run bigscoop.....they're on to you! Best to ditch that truck.....just NOT in the ocean

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first 15 years of detecting I found ZERO Tungsten.
This year two monsters. Now that gold is fairly high, the new generation is buying crap bands!
gg

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first 15 years of detecting I found ZERO Tungsten.
This year two monsters. Now that gold is fairly high, the new generation is buying crap bands!
gg

You know why? Because if you lose it you can afford to replace it and still pay the mortgage. Gold was $180 an ounce in 1975, minimum wage was $2.10. Divorce was 1 in 16......There is more to the equation than just the price of gold.....

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaking of cheap rings. Today while playing around in the yard I found a stainless steel wedding band just like the one on my finger, except two sizes larger. I lost it about four years ago. I dropped mine on the ground and used tuned out everything but the two bars mine was hitting on. Then went around the yard. It was dead silent until.....BEEP BEEP. Dug it up and sure enough it was my lost ring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread