A Hole Through My Heart

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I had an exciting day at the beach, the locating of a deep dark hole and a offshore perfect wind granting me access, what more could a treasure hunter ask for. By all accounts it was perfect conditions and a near perfect situation. The only left to discover was just how deep the hole was and exactly what was in it? Wetsuit, finds pouch, scoop, detector, and I was quickly headed into the deep dark unknown. Another treasure hunting adventure had just begun.

Clay and shell, that’s what was in my scoop after recovering the first heavy lead weight, tarnished and crusty it had certainly been there a while. Twenty minutes later I had three more lead weights, all of them blackened by the elements of the sea. As I got to the center of the hole the current was threatening to drag me away and the surges were frequently invading my neck, scooping anything from the bottom was becoming suddenly becoming very unlikely. And then “BANG”…..a perfect honker tone, that hollow sounding, “HELLO!”

Ten minutes, it took me ten minutes and several attempts to recover this target, the surges constantly blowing me off of my target and my bouncy allowing me no means to force the scoop into the firm clay, sand, and packed shell. By the time I recovered this huge ring I was worn out and lacking the strength to continue my hunt. But I left the hole excited, the ring was huge, very heavy, and the bet part, it carried a slight shade of nice shiny gray!

My eyes suck these days! When I get to the shore I can see that something is inscribed inside this heavy band but I simply can’t read it, but I can tell that it isn’t faded and that the inscription is nice and clean and screams, “Classy”. Yep, at this point I’m really pumped up, I’ve seen all of this before and I felt this kind of dense weight often enough to recognize its meaning. “Platinum!” It looks, feels, and simply screams, PLATINUM!

17.5 grams of bright shiny gray, I can stick both of my pinky fingers into this size heavy 14…..”Tungsten Forever” ring. From this moment on I am launching an official protest against Tungsten jewelry! :BangHead::evil5::protest:

plat.jpg

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WOW!! That is one heavy ring! Nice find, Bigscoop.

Thank you for your interesting post.

Lorraine

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tungsten! All that labor for Tungsten! Join the protest!
"NO More Tungsten Jewelry! No More Tungsten Jewelry! No More Tungsten Jewelry!"
:laughing7:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya gotta admit Bigscoop, they are a classy looking ring....
even if they are not worth a whole lot. For what you went
thru to recover it, I wish it were plat. too. :hello:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya gotta admit Bigscoop, they are a classy looking ring....
even if they are not worth a whole lot. For what you went
thru to recover it, I wish it were plat. too. :hello:

Yep, they look nice, nice enough to fool you. But......"Save the Tungsten! No More Tungsten!" :laughing7:

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Good work, a ring is a ring. These hold up well, tend not to scratch. I have sold all the Tungsten quickly on E-Bay.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead::BangHead: Don't cha hate when that happens! :BangHead::BangHead:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer, but you know there's more out there...

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better hurry after tomorrow you may not be able to get back to that hole!

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story Bigscoop! Hope it's Plat next time!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would gladly sign a petition banning Tungsten. But good job on the retrieval .

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Just another chapter for a book..... NO MORE TUNGSTEN!

Way to stick with a target...... After reading your account of the troubles for that ring I was almost as disappointed as you were... at least it was a ring.... I once had a target I was digging on and a rogue wave hit me and pushed me 20 feet over the sandbar on my arse... I went back to the hole I had made (scoop still there) and eventually found my bobbie pin!!!

Cliff

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better hurry after tomorrow you may not be able to get back to that hole!

Yea, didn't make it back out today, just got too busy with other things and suddenly the day was gone. Probably won't go back out until after the weekend. At the rate the sand is building up it's been pretty slow going anyway. Need to get some of that sand moved out again.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another chapter for a book..... NO MORE TUNGSTEN!

Way to stick with a target...... After reading your account of the troubles for that ring I was almost as disappointed as you were... at least it was a ring.... I once had a target I was digging on and a rogue wave hit me and pushed me 20 feet over the sandbar on my arse... I went back to the hole I had made (scoop still there) and eventually found my bobbie pin!!!

Cliff

Cliff,
I've been blown off my scoop so many times I finally put bright red handles on all them so I can find them again. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen the swell coming and quickly forced my scoop into the sand with the hope that it will still be standing up after the swell passes. :laughing7: So far so good, I'm glad to report.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll trade ya 24 ounces of top grade aluminum in an eclectic mixture of pull tabs, slaw, and other unidentified aluminum slag for that fine ring ya got there....

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand the wearable attributes of Tungsten and Titanium jewelry but for what many of them cost it's like having no value at all after the purchase. That's what I don't understand. Why not just buy a cheaper 9k or 10k gold ring, or even silver, at least you have some value in the item after the purchase. :dontknow: Talk about throwing money away. I don't get it.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
I had a similar experience with COBALT! Nice huge ring but ill add it to my junk Jewlery or try to sell on ebay!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread