pinpointer

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi CK I use a Garrett for land and would recommend it.Although it has started malfunctioning in les than a year along with others that I am aware of but the really cool part is that Garrett has been really friendly and helpful I think they may have had a bad run or something they come with a two year warranty and have watched videos on you tube where people have made them water proof.Bottom line I like the pinpointer and when things went bad Garrett handled it :hello:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend the vibraprobe models. They are waterproof and very durable. I have been very pleased with it

HH
-GC

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Generally speaking pinpointers aren't used in beach hunting. A high quality long handled scoop is a much better option. if you miss the target just take another swipe at it. Faster and less work!! The advantage of working soft sand! That said, if you want a pinpointer +1 to Garrett.

bn81159

Jul 2, 2012
Boca Raton
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur 1000,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I recommend the vibraprobe models. They are waterproof and very durable. I have been very pleased with it

HH
-GC

Ditto - I just got the Vibra Probe 580 Pinpointer from KellyCodetectors on sale. It is really cool!!!!!

OP
OP
C

CKfromTampaBay

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my big scoop in today { Native Floridian } cant wait to use it. Thank eveyone the advice

bn81159

Jul 2, 2012
Boca Raton
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur 1000,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
CKfromTampaBay said:
I just got my big scoop in today { Native Floridian } cant wait to use it. Thank eveyone the advice

Did you get the Stealth?

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
I use the old fashion method, grab a handful of dirt/sand with the target in it and wave it over the coil of my detector. Faster for me than reaching for a pinpointer, turning it on and searching for a signal..

OP
OP
C

CKfromTampaBay

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a 6inch scoop from KellyCo i didnt get a mack daddy scoop . How do u post with the persons comment ur responding too attached ?

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like everything in life, the tool needs to be right for the job. For me, I'm out in the (big) rocks where scoops do no good. A pinpointer is essential here as the water is clouded real quick and you can't see anything. Whereas a scoop beats out a pinpointer 4/5 times in sand
HH
-GC

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always bring the Garrett and rarely use it. Glad I had it the few times that I couldn't find earring backs and tiny targets. For stuff that small consider cutting the corner off a net bag (laundry type). A couple of those targets I couldn't find even after the MD said it was in my hand.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Here's a couple ideas for newbies..... You always see those plastic sieves that come with kids sand buckets left on the beach. Pick one up and cut it to fit your scoop. OR go to a hardware store and buy a roll of screen that they put in gutters and live the bottom of your scoop with that. Now even the small finds won't fall through your scoop!! 8-)

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CK: Pin Pointers are highly specialized, the correct one(s) for you will depend upon where and how you hunt.

On land or dry sand at the beach, I prefer the Garret Pro Pointer, especially to find a target in the side of a hole, as it detects off its side(s) as well as it's tip. It is easier to carry (more streamlined shape) and faster to pin point with (unless multiple targets are within it field(s). The led light really helps to see a target in the hole or a night.

On wet sand, in the rocks, or shallow water hunting with a float and plastic sifter, the vibra probe 580 is the pin pointer of choice. As it uses pulse induction technology, mineralization does not affect it , which drives the above Pro Pointer crazy (false alarms). You also do not have to worry about destroying it if you submerge it as it is also used for shallow diving. It is more precise as it only detects near its tip, and is more stealthy since it only uses vibration to indicate a target.

Even though the Vibra probe 580 uses pulse induction, it does not detect deeper than the Pro Pointer. You have to be slightly more disciplined when using the Vibra Probe as it can interfere with your main detector, and your main detector can interfere with it. It is not a big deal, You just have to be careful to avoid pointing either coil toward each other, or turn one or the other off.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the old fashion method, grab a handful of dirt/sand with the target in it and wave it over the coil of my detector. Faster for me than reaching for a pinpointer, turning it on and searching for a signal..
You've never removed a plug and had a target disappear on you? That's where a pin pointer really shines.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of depth do you get on it? I have one and it seems a bit weak. Perhaps low battery.

HH
-GC

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the ground conditions and size of the target, I'll get around 2-3" or so which is what I want. My main detector will get me that close. Any more sensitive and it would be harder to use, especially in a junky area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread