St augustine

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome:occasion14:

favabeans

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there, same here! I have two boys (8 and 10 years old) that are very into metal detecting, just got new Garrett 350 detectors and pinpointers and are raring to go! If anyone could help with some good spots in Saint Augustine or Saint Augustine beach that would be GREAT! Definitely love to fuel their interests!!

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
About 2-years ago, they replenished the St. Augustine beach and there is a lot of dry sand area to use your Ace or equivalent single frequency machines. The pier is frequently the base of several holiday events and concerts, so the day after is a great time to look for fresh drops. Heck, even just walking the beach and looking for eyeball finds.

Crescent beach is pretty clean, and there is plenty of area to hunt as well. Just don't venture too close to Ft. Mantanzas....that could wind you up with some hefty fines and even the permanent confiscation of your equipment.

Villano is about 100 yards long and hit almost daily by 5-6 locals with high-end equipment; 2 locals with waterproof machines that hunt the water; and come fall, every tourist from up north and UK seams to bring their machines to that beach and talk about it as an unknown "secret gem". LOL

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Took the kiddies to play in the sand at Vilano and once again I saw a handful of guys swinging MD's out there. I watched one father/son combo....looked like the Dad was swinging a Garrett GTI in a horseshoe motion about 12" off the ground at the lowest point and what i believe was his teenage son that apparently was only allowed to hold the pin pointer. All I could think is if the dad wants to make any memories with his kid he better let him start swinging that MD. Oh, and whatever the kid does with it sure as heck ain't gonna be any worse of a technique. (rolling eyes)

So favabeans....glad you got the lil' guys their own equipment. Perhaps you consider transitioning the focus from finding treasure to having contests with them. With my guys, we see who can find the first coin, oldest coin, newest coin, most coins (qty not value), most bottle caps, and then always go somewhere for a treat afterwards. Best of luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread