American Recycling Associates - Are they still good?

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone:

I have accumulated around $2000 worth of gold jewelry and was wondering if ARA still pays 98% of spot? I have heard some negative reviews lately with one person getting only 60% of spot (they acid tested everything before sending it in). The last time I dealt with them was Oct. 2011 and everything went perfectly. I'm a little concerned as their website aragold.com doesn't work anymore and their new website aragold.net doesn't specify how much they pay and doesn't mention the free stone removal service.

Has anyone dealt with them this year or shortly before 2013? What was your experience like?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

ARA

Mar 19, 2013
Dallas, TX
Primary Interest:
Other
Man I hate to hear this...I love ARA but Im not going to send in my SS number...hate to but Im going to have to try Mid West Refinery...they only require a drivers license number and DOB.

Yeah i understand where you're coming from. From what we've seen this is actually supposed to apply to everyone. We thought it was just a Texas thing but it seems as though it's part of the Patriot Act so i'm not entirely sure how other refineries are getting around it. If it's helps at all we don't actually use it for anything, it's just kept on file. It's required for us to have on record in order to track people in case they were to be put under investigation for money laundering etc.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i understand where you're coming from. From what we've seen this is actually supposed to apply to everyone. We thought it was just a Texas thing but it seems as though it's part of the Patriot Act so i'm not entirely sure how other refineries are getting around it. If it's helps at all we don't actually use it for anything, it's just kept on file. It's required for us to have on record in order to track people in case they were to be put under investigation for money laundering etc.
I thought that it was really unfair to have that law in Texas and no where else...But the way our govenment works I wasnt surprsied...Ive been on here for three years telling anyone that asked to send their gold to ARA and I will continue to do that. Ive been a victim of idenity theft so Im paronoid about putting my SS number out there. Seems like they could track people by their drivers license, but I dont know. All refiners should have to go by the same laws...really unfair to your business if others are not resticted like you are. ARA has been good to me and I aprerciate it.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown:
Just because you (we) are paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get you (us)!
I more than agree with your paranoia! Those in the Military have it especially bad as their Social Security Number is their ID.
I would really like to tell those ignoramuses who took away the military service number for ID and replaced it with the SSN how much they increased the risk of identity theft to those who serve this country. But it is obvious, that they just either don't care or are not intelligent enough to understand. Most likely both!

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They settle for the weight I expect, (if I don't rush my testing). Been dealing with ARA for several years now, good folk.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I trust ARA and I live couple miles from Midwest.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
I see that. There is ARA gold at Gold Processing - Stone Removal - ARA - American Recycling Associates - Dallas - Texas but no percentage paid anymore. I would be veeerrryy careful.

Click on the above sight, when it comes up click on Visit our Web Sight now, When that comes up click on Refining schedule to find percentages paid. It's all there in black and white. I did business twice with them this past fall and I had No complaints. I have done business many times with company and have never had a complaint about how they pay.

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have sent in 3 shipments to Midwest ($4500) because I don't have a tax ID #. Two of the payouts where real short. I will gladly send my stuff to ARA to see if they are any better. Problem is, I have to go find some more! Lol

Southernstyle

Dec 17, 2010
I deal with ARA a lot. Couple grand every time we send in, every couple months. They have always done me right. Customer service is GREAT. They always send my stuff back if not real as well as all stones and they are labeled real or CZ. I live in Cayman Islands and sometimes they mail checks to me at my stateside address and sometime they direct deposit for me depending on how I request to be paid.

ARA is A OK with me....
Chris

Jun 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No! Guys at ARA are now a days Underclass Thieves and Scammers. This is not a real refinery also. Real Refinery work with the world mining companies to refine gold ore,silver ore,platinum ore, copper ore, palladium ore etc. to produce gold, silver, platinum, copper, palladium etc.

Gold 98% of "market" [Deceit] Or is The Truth Gold -2% Below Market [The Truth]
Silver 90% of "market" [Deceit] Silver -10% Below Market [The Truth]
Platinum 90% of "market" [Deceit] Platinum -10% Below Market [The Truth]

The personnel at ARA just steal platinum or diamonds from you if they think you are stupid or weak enough for them to get away with it. These guys won't give you a damn nickel...they are here to take from you. ARA has obviously done a great job since they are extremely rich and you likely are not. Don't feed The Underclass Parasites. ( Are you going to pay $14,000 dollars to a Civil Attorney +effort + risk of violence to maybe, emphasis maybe, get back about 1,100 bucks?? Probably not. Don't deal with these Underclass please, the local persons are more convenient,quick and you can see your property in front of your eyes, whom ever they maybe.)

Last edited:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent my gold to Midwest at first but then changed to ARA. I have always been satisfied with my return ck. ( i ck my weight and purities b4 sending) When the tax id started I called and was told that since I was in b4 I was "grandfathered" and that it wouldn't apply. Last batch I sent I received my ck like regular business, no id, ss, tax id just my ck. I will continue to send my gold to ARA!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold 98% of "market" [Deceit] Or is The Truth Gold -2% Below Market [The Truth]
Silver 90% of "market" [Deceit] Silver -10% Below Market [The Truth]
Platinum 90% of "market" [Deceit] Platinum -10% Below Market [The Truth]

Wow someone dug a tin foil hat!

Arsenic1331

Oct 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used ARA in the past when they processed a large lot of gold for me. Real quick turnaround and got my money same day when wired. Recently, I had a little gold and over 78 oz in silver. I mailed it in by insured Express Mail because of their claim of same day turnaround if received by 2pm CST. JKilgore received it on September 30th at 1:41pm CST. It wasn't received that day and I emailed them asking them about receiving my order. No answer. On Monday Oct 3rd, I receive an email stating that my shipment was received but was 8 oz short with the silver. Not a big deal even though my scale is very accurate. The gold was spot on. The email stated it would be processed on Tuesday. Now I'm concerned because that is contrary to their website's claim still. On Thursday, I had to call in asking about my order and Don stated that it was settled that I will receive $641.78 for the silver. The gold was correct. I still kept civil even though that is an absurdly low price for silver when I personally burned off the other metals in the silver beforehand. That was nearly pure silver I sent in. It was all tested as Sterling silver before the melt. Now late Friday afternoon, I'm still waiting for my funds and I will be forced to call on Monday now irate about this delay on paying out. They have gotten slow and sloppy. I sent over 100 oz. silver to Midwest and while it had a lot of evaporation, there wasn't nearly as much as what happened with my silver at ARA. The email quoted $18.73 and at 90% it was $16.86. Friday it was $19.11 so their delay receiving the order cost me additionally. Pretty much they are stating I had only 40 oz of silver out of 70+ oz of melted sterling silver. I will be filing a BBB report and a complaint with the FCC for false advertising on the same day turnaround claim. Can't do much about the payout as that is a cost of doing business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread