Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Finally a "Buffalo" with a date ....more "oldies" from that old beach

Hi:hello:.

Out there at high tide today at same beach that I found that Seated dime; had to hunt damp sand ( can't wait to get out to those "muddy flats" ..soon)

Found another"Buffalo" ...1920 , and in better condition than the one found the other day...

Also an old streetcar token.

Here's some pics

Thanks for looking

Lorraine

\Here's some info about the token:

Connecticut Company (blue) and other New Haven electric railway subsidiaries

The Connecticut Company was the primary electric street railway company in the U.S. state of Connecticut, operating both city and rural trolleys and freight service. It was controlled by the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad (New Haven), which also controlled most steam railroads in the state. After 1936, when one of its major leases was dissolved, it continued operating streetcars and, increasingly, buses in certain Connecticut cities until 1976, when its assets were purchased by the state government.

street car.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF2077.JPG
    DSCF2077.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCF2078.JPG
    DSCF2078.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCF2081.JPG
    DSCF2081.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 200
  • token.jpg
    token.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Upvote 0

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Lo!! Can't wait to get back out there. Weather on the West Coast has been bad!

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on a good all around hunt Lorraine. I do like the
Buffalo nickle with the date...seems so many don't have
dates that are readable anymore. :hello:

Whip

Greenie
Feb 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool finds! That Buffalo is in great shape!

The picture of the street car, excellent! Really puts that find in perspective. Good job on the find and the research!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I know that jewelry is most often the goal of beach hunters .....(go figure ). And I know it's hard to ever get numismatically redeemable order coins from wet salt conditions ..... But for some reason I just love to see those old coins in my basket ;). Congratz.

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds...

I saw a 10-11 year old kid with a inexpensive detector find a beautiful Merc dime in the dry sand the other day......in an area that gets searched all the time. High tide had pulled some sand down....and he scoooooped it up. He didnt even know what he had found. He walked over to me asked "hey, you look like you know what your doing....what is this?" The look on his face was priceless when I explained how long that coin was probably sitting in the dry sand.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Tom,

Have often asked myself why it is that I get so excited at finding an old coin.

Silver and gold jewelry ( with exception of antique) that is recovered are put directly into the treasure pouch, but with the coin find, I will stand there for a few minutes and scrutinize it for image, date, & detailing.

I believe it is the awareness that with the jewelry ( except antique), similar or exact copies are continually being made in the present, but those old coins are a part of History , and I think of all the hands of all the people through which those coins have passed ... the recovery of these old coins present an instant movie in my mind of days gone by.

Lorraine

I know that jewelry is most often the goal of beach hunters .....(go figure ). And I know it's hard to ever get numismatically redeemable order coins from wet salt conditions ..... But for some reason I just love to see those old coins in my basket ;). Congratz.

Last edited:

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kool finds, but what is with the spoons all the time? do people in CT eat on the beach alot or play the spoons?

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Kool finds, but what is with the spoons all the time? do people in CT eat on the beach alot or play the spoons?

:hello:..I think these old spoons are from early 1900's flooding ...particularly at this beach where the cottages, which were only a few steps from the beach got totally washed away.....I have found a couple of good condition late 1800's Barber Half-dollars, old ornate gas lamp fixtures and other old home interior items at this beach.

Anyway, my kitchen 8-piece eclectic flatware set is almost complete; it should provide some interesting conversation for my next dinner guests:laughing7:

Lorraine

DSCF2083.JPG

DSCF2085.JPG

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good finds Lorraine. Awhile back I had a similar hunt with two almost perfect buffalo images plucked from the water. Unfortunately the indian and date where illegible because they where buried stuck together, buffalo side in. First picture has them as they came out, leaning against the spoon. Second pic shows both sides after separated. P1000280-001.JPG P1000431.JPG

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Lorraine, I think that's the answer of why we md'rs love old coins ... EVEN though it's probably (most of the time) jewelry that's going to fetch the higher prices (considering what wet salt does to old coins, doh!): Because jewelry can be lost at any time (as recently as yesterday). But old coins are strictly going to be something where they were lost in olden times, non-replenishing. And I guess too, having started detecting when the last time silver-melt-prices was at all time highs (1980 or so), it just makes seeing those grey disks fun to find :)

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Hey Bob,

That looks like the same spoon that I found ....wonder if it is the same pattern

Maybe sometime if I see you at the beach, I'll bring the spoon that I found and we can compare the patterns.

Good luck out there

That "Buffalo" is an interesting find..the buffalo is in such good condition!

Lorraine

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:..I think these old spoons are from early 1900's flooding ...particularly at this beach where the cottages, which were only a few steps from the beach got totally washed away.....I have found a couple of good condition late 1800's Barber Half-dollars, old ornate gas lamp fixtures and other old home interior items at this beach.

Anyway, my kitchen 8-piece eclectic flatware set is almost complete; it should provide some interesting conversation for my next dinner guests:laughing7:

Lorraine

View attachment 748890

View attachment 748891

That would really be a conversation starter,it's always neat to put to use what we find in the ground.Good luck.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old finds...love the token. :thumbsup:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Loraine, love the token and the history on it. HH.See ya soon.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread