Which Stainless Steel for scoop and hole size?

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw 3 coil package and clean sweep
I have this elsewhere fyi, but wanted better exposure to my query and know there are some helpful folks here, thanks.

I'm about to order a scoop from a reputable manufacturer for water hunting in lakes with the rare trip to the coast for beach/water hunting. My lakes will mostly consist of clay beds covered with thin layers of silt, sand or mud with some small rocks often present. I have the chance to get holes that are 1/2" or 3/8" as well in the stainless steel scoop. Also, I have the chance to get the scoop in either 304 stainless steel or 431 stainless steel. The manufacturer told me the 431 would be the better choice if I could wait a few weeks for the materials but I wanted opinions here as well. Anyone use these different types of stainless steel or know a little something about them and can impart some facts or first hand experience? Which would you go with and why? Also, for my type of hunting, I thought I would ask your feedback on the hole size as well; they are the hexagonal punched holes by the way. I appreciate your feedback, thank you!

Upvote 0

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the classic stealth with 1/2 inch holes just for water hunting,the only thing i disliked about it was the small earrings fall through the holes. To fix that problem i welded a 20ga 6x7 screen with 1/4 inch holes in the bottom. It was $10.25 with shipping for the screen. The 304 will be fine

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas Gold:
As you are hunting clay beds, you should get 1/2" holes, as clay drains poorly. Round holes are better than hexagonal punched holes which fatigue. 304 stainless steel is plenty strong, especially if reinforced. You would need a pry bar/pick axe to move anything large enough to damage a basket made with it.

An aggressive vish tip cuts through hard pack easily and allows you to get closer to large rocks and pick between them. If you are tall, I recommend a 52" handle, as you need the extra length for retrieving from chest to chin deep water, plus you can use it to push you back to shore if you get in too deep.
I use a sunspot stealth 720i (basket - 15" L, 7"W) for saltwater wet sand and shallow water hunting where it is critical to retrieve an object rapidly before it sinks to deep or is washed away. This scoop cuts through hard pack like butter, drains well, and allows me to dig down to 15 inches on the first bite.

However, a smaller and lighter scoop may work better for you as it is easier to retrieve in fresh water.
You might also consider the new smaller 8" T Rex with 1/4" holes and just dump the contents of the basket into a towed along floating sifter. You are less likely to lose the smaller stuff, such as earring studs this way and it saves effort as clay, mud and shells do not drain well.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops I repeat myself!

1/2" holes drains best.
Round holes are better than hexagonal holes as there is less metal fatigue.
304 stainless steel is plenty strong, you would be better off with a pry bar for anything large enough to bend the basket.

For lakes, just dump your scoop into a towable sifter with 1/4" or smaller screen/classifier as it is more effective than having to remove shells and junk from the scoop.

OP
OP
texasgold

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the tips! I did not think I needed the stronger stainless steel but for the same price, thought why not. That is, assuming, that one is stronger/better than the other. I was a bit concerned about the metal fatigue with the hexagonal holes so I thought the 3/8" holes with more metal in between would hold up better. My prior scoop had the 1/2" holes and I tell ya what, I am not sure it would make a difference 1/2" or 3/8" because most of that clay just did not wash through. I would often have to hold the scoop in one hand and use the other to attempt to break up the "clod" of clay. I tried a tow behind float/sifter but same issue there, nothing would sift b/c of the clay and I was towing around a pile of clay. Too bad the lakes don't have beach sand to dig and sift through. I agree with the more pointed tip for digging in and getting among rocks but again, the clay is like cutting frozen butter. :icon_scratch:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The manufacturer is probably using the stronger stainless steel to avoid a fatigue problem with hexagonal holes.
The disadvantage is that the stronger stainless steel would be heavier.

You are correct, as most clay and shells will not sift through either the scoop or towed float, you will have to break the large clumps up by hand to get the target. To save time and effort, I use a waterproof vibra probe 580 pinpointer to find any targets in the float which is used like a floating work platform. This way you will only have to break up clumps which have metal. When finished, I simply turn the float upside down to dump it.

As I hunt in salt water where there are currents, I use an inner tube with a plastic/composit gold classifier tied inside. The waterproof pin pointer is tied on the side of this inner tube for ease of retrieval.

OP
OP
texasgold

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Sounds like a great set up Sir Gala Clad; I have been wanting a vibraprobe/vibratector as well but have too many wants and have to take care of the needs first such as a scoop. What I wouldn't give to have my own shop to fab these things up myself!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread