Excal broken shaft

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went out to Cocoa Beach yesterday to try out a new pair of dive boots, Oceanic Neo Classic. They have a burr in the back of the heel that helps when you are taking them off. Good boots. Was plenty warm with the full skin suit on. After 15 minutes in the water the Excal shaft snapped in two and will need to be replaced. Options are a new one from Minelab, a " Florida straight shaft " , or an aluminum tube I drill out myself. Best option ?

Tek

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tek: If you are tall get yourself an Anderson Tall man composite shaft, or equivalent. You will be able to cover more distance since you can swing wider. You also can detect some depressions, which you do not want to step into. It is also easier to swing as it has better balance.

I prefer composite, as you do not have to take the upper and lower shaft apart as often for cleaning and there is no galvanic action between dissimilar metals (aluminum shaft, steel pins).

As you appear to be hard on shafts, you may need a second under arm shaft for greater strength.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Thank You Sir Gala, composite is the way to go, no metal fatigue. I did not know about these. Will pick one up at Kellyco.

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
all your options are terrible!!! either save up and buy a carbon fiber shaft from anderson.or save up and build one yourself.

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
I went out to Kellyco yesterday and picked up the long fiber setup. This thing is weightless and the high position for the electronics is better on the cables. I checked out the over and under, but it was not available in fiber. The tall man has better ballance overall. Also got the knob guard, I am tired of replacing broken knobs.

Tek

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I went out to Kellyco yesterday and picked up the long fiber setup. This thing is weightless and the high position for the electronics is better on the cables. I checked out the over and under, but it was not available in fiber. The tall man has better ballance overall. Also got the knob guard, I am tired of replacing broken knobs.

Tek
wtg:hello::icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread