Beach anatomy

KapHI808

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi all,

I was hoping to get pointed to a post or guide that shows the anatomy of the beach. A lot of terms are mentioned in these posts in reference to a part of the beach that I am unfamiliar with. Such as the Trough, I thought it was the area that the waves were breaking and has dug out the ocean floor. Other posts reference that location as the edge of the water and a steep incline to the beach. Other terms like Edge, Ripple Slough, Runnel, Rip Tide, Scallops (I know what this is but added for others that don't know). Knowing what these mean would help me understand CJC's books better. Thank you

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would take me months to answer your question. Suggest you visit the Master. The Golden Olde

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put "Toms Beach Tips" in your search engine and you should find an article by Tom Tanner that has some very useful info and definitions Good Luck out there

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Clive J. Clynicks Books on the Excallibur show pictures on all of his discriptions.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
K

KapHI808

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you all for the suggestions. Some great info in the links provided. I also downloaded Toms beach guide. Yes, CJC's books are great but....... I have a hard time with some of the line drawings (granted I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer:BangHead:). Some of them I can't tell if it is a top-down view or a side view. I think the more times I read through the books along with having more experience seeing what he is referring to at my local beaches then I should be able to figure it out. HH

S

stefen

I undertook the study of beach anatomy while under the tutelige of this mentor... GO-FOR-IT, BIG BOY.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to upset a lot of people here. Put the freaking books down, and go to the beach. Take out your detector and scoop and get to finding some treasure. You'll learn more with 100-hours on those headphones, than you will EVER learn from a book. All that ripple slough bull just means look for low spots on the beach where the sand has been stripped away and there is black sand streaks, pebbles and shells. Less sand = more depth. Think like a heavy gold ring trying to sink through the sand to the clay. Get in the water at low tide up to your waist and get some! You have read enough! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread