Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just called ARA (American Recycling Associates) and was told their payout is still 98%. They are updating their website.

I will be using them for the 4th time in 3 years for just under $2000 worth of gold. In the past they have always come spot on to my calculations. I highly recommend them. They return all gems or will give you a quote for your diamonds. Just remember small to tiny diamonds have very little value.

Oh..he also mentioned for amounts over 500 DWT the payout is 99% :laughing7:.

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you for the information, Dr. Joe Prime...much appreciated.

I have been using ARA for several years now....they are great to deal with .

Lorraine

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
You do not have to be a business. Just send it to them. They take care of the rest. IRS would like for you to have a taxpayer number to make it easier for them to track, but not required. I have been very happy with them as well. Good company to deal with.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
You do not have to be a business. Just send it to them. They take care of the rest. IRS would like for you to have a taxpayer number to make it easier for them to track, but not required. I have been very happy with them as well. Good company to deal with.

I was wondering about the tax ID number thanks for that. Hopefully I'll be able to send them some this year.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great info Dr. J,

I just sent ARA about $1500 in gold and silver This past Monday! I insured it for $1000 and I also had a signature confirmation receipt! I was told if you have done business with them in the past that the business tax ID number isn't necessary! Also they told me if you for instance sent them 14 karat gold they calculated at 13 karat gold! Sold some of my gold about two months ago when I needed money fast I was unhappy with the result I probably got about 70% of the value from a local dealer! So now I'll save about $400 sending it to ARA! It's worth the time It took me to calculate and do the postage packaging to send it ARA! Now I can get some new tires and a tuneup for my truck and a new Wot coil! I had a few iffy pieces of silver so it will be interesting to see what I get back from ARA!

Hope all is well at seal beach take care happy hunting!

SnT

Attachments

• image-2874145283.jpg
    image-2874145283.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 104

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use Midwest Refineries since they are only couple miles from me, but they pay less and don't return items that they say aren't gold though you thought they were. They don't return stones either. So I have used ARA the last five times and have been very happy with my payments. Just remember that when you find a sweet ring to not do the Happy Dance and attract attention to your self.

Liberty.PNG Happy Dance Happy Dance.gif

Last edited:

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Insurance?

Anyone know how insurance works when sending scrap gold and silver through the mail? According to the USPS website "You’ll also need to show the item’s value or estimated repair costs, with sales receipts or invoices." So without a receipt, which none of us would have for found gold and silver, I wonder if they would even pay anything out on a loss. So in other words is paying for insurance really providing coverage in our case?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to be a nay sayier here. I spoke to them yesterday and they told me a new TX law that took affect requires you to have a Tax ID number. IM in there computer she looked me up but i still got told this and ive sent several batches in before. I explained i read that law and it discuses cash for gold or business dealing in gold not individuals. I also called the IRS .... ya crazy huh, they told me i wasnt a business per sa but were willing to give me an ID number.... for about $200. I was told from someone on another site to just send mine in and they will do it. They have to tell you you need one if you ask. So im at a loose of what to do myself. I couldnt get a reply from Nikki. You really hate to send in say $4000 worth of gold not knowing if they will...... having it bounce around out there in the PO is scary.

Dew

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line. You do not have to have a tax I.D., however, you are still required to report income and businesses are still required to keep records of transactions. Businesses are going to cover their butts, up to you to either risk it or to cover your own. It just ain't like it use to be fellas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread