All Treasure Hunting

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There was 9 people on coin today and a boat load in the ditch lot getting ready to cross, I only stayed for two hours and moved on. Didn't get any coppers :dontknow: but i did get a silver ring on the coin :thumbsup:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was it windy ?

wind is bad up here today

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
There was 9 people on coin today and a boat load in the ditch lot getting ready to cross, I only stayed for two hours and moved on. Didn't get any coppers
dontknow.gif
but i did get a silver ring on the coin
thumbsup.gif

Griz, Whats the worth of most of the coppers that come out of there?

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
10-4 on the WINDY with snow,little ice & rain to boot,lots of swing go on.

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
OBN,
To me its a historical piece of the past.I found my first one in 1980 and it was yellow,I don't think the coppers have any cash value but they do look good in the case.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN,
To me its a historical piece of the past.I found my first one in 1980 and it was yellow,I don't think the coppers have any cash value but they do look good in the case.

Thanks Griz, Yellow is Very Good. From now on If I find a copper I'm throwing it back to them........The Coppers belong to all those souls that died, I know the KGIII I found belonged to one of the passengers..It's going back my next trip..

I have no use for relic's or copper, Now If I find one that's all yellow then it's coming home with me.

Rs25subaru

Mar 5, 2013
Northampton, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fish out of this inlet a lot! Indian river inlet, I would love to join but I have plans Sunday. Good luck to all of you!

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May finally have the pleasure of meeting a few of you. If too many are present (which I predict-I may go else where)
A Copper (from CB) has been on my bucket list since the '60's. Yellow is (always) on the wish list.
Probably still use my 5x10 DD on the 705.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Good luck out there on Sunday, Jeff!

Lorraine

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still do not know how to hunt the place. Every time I go it has changed. It was one heck of a winter though. This week's nor'easter (Saturn) took the sand from the front of the beach and pushed it to the back, near the dunes. Filled in several feet of depressions and cuts. It put at least another foot of sand on the "trees". Other places it uncovered stuff (Hurricane Sandy debris) we hadn't seen since early November. The sand berm at the waterline is gone. The contractors/State of Delaware were playing "save the bridge" and build up the dunes, digging and dozing yesterday and today. It's amazing the dunes didn't seem to be wrecked this time. Even the newly planted sea grass is mostly still there. Got some really nice big conch shells.

But as for detecting....Friday, One other member and I got there and we both got nothing. Someone else got a couple coppers and a third party got several. There were a few people out. I couldn't even find any targets on the beach. The "new" tide lines have not been set in yet. So I went to Lewes and there were more targets there. I got my first coin clump! They are tiny, the little "jettons". There are 3 of them cemented together. Got 1 copper nail and 1 small pieces of ships brass and that was it. Stayed at a motel nearby, considering getting a new hobby ( and a chiropractor), so today I went back to coin beach. Worked the higher sand and then went in the water. Wore the tennis shoes in, no boots. The water produced a big sinker and a fork. I got 1 new penny off the top of the ground, 1 older memorial center, a new quarter, several pulltabs and finally 1 copper George III Irish halfpenny. Yay. It was rough detecting, over two days 7 hours of detecting for 1 old coin. Not many targets except big iron which got moved around...again. A LOT of people showed up mid day. Most of them were towards the north, eventually they congregated in one area in the water at low tide. Since it probably was NOT a baptism, someone may have found something. If you have the info, let us know. The copper is from today, the little thing with the design and on edge is the clump and the other "thing" may be numerous of the paper thin jettons sitting together on edge. I have no idea how to tell or how to clean. There's a lot of sand/rocks stuck to it. It's probably from the wreck, but they are light weight and I was thinking "aluminum" but aluminum in the ocean doesn't last long enough to attract debris. In my personal, biased opinion Coin Beach should produce right thru early summer, but you'll have to work at it....hard. march9.jpg jetton.jpg jetton1.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are 2 different pics of the "thingie" from Lewes. Colors are not too accurate in this photo. thingie.jpg thingie2.jpg Those round things are the edges of small metal discs. Looks like circles, those are (looks like) discs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck out there on Sunday, Jeff!

Lorraine

Thanks Lorraine ! ever been there ?

=======================
+++++++++++++++++++++++
=======================

Coastal Flood advisory in effect till 6 am
Untitled.jpg

Not sure if it will effect us since we will be leaving here for what promises to
be a 4 hour drive and another 30 for breakfast/lunch break somewhere.

anyway should be there 11'ish barring a unrehearsed change of plans

Untitled1q2.jpg

Last edited:

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dozen pull tabs, some tiny al, piece of copper wire and a nickle. All from 2 concentrations of gravel. Nothing in between those today at coin beach. Yesterday at the bay found some fishing weights. Iron signals-everywhere.
7-8hrs total ( for 2 days). Nothing ventured nothing gained. Equally pleasurable to being out on the beach was meeting and talking with Smokeythecat.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the copper. It's one of the George III's from the wreck. I detected most weekend from August till November of last year before I found my first one.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the copper. It's one of the George III's from the wreck. I detected most weekend from August till November of last year before I found my first one.

Thanks Smokey_ I was hoping it was a Shipwreck coin !
Was a little afraid it was just a Half Cent !

all coins came out between the dune & the Cement Frame, I spent all my time at that end

Untitledq.jpg

silver roosie was first , Copper was shortly after the Roosie. then the Wheat & Barber.
after that the Clad, and when we were digging our Last holes I got the Washington Quarter.

I Can actually call it coin Beach :laughing7:
but in my health I did not like the walk from the parking lot
under the Highways to the beach.
took me 2 rests in between :(

I Don't think i'll be back , but Much Luck to ya !!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It used to take me 1 rest going in and 4 coming back. Now it's straight in and 2 rests back with numerous "rests" during the day. Best I can do. Not 20 anymore. Or 30, or 40.....

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It used to take me 1 rest going in and 4 coming back. Now it's straight in and 2 rests back with numerous "rests" during the day. Best I can do. Not 20 anymore. Or 30, or 40.....

Yes the walk out was the real Killer. BK headed out with me & soon lost me behind him.

DK was still out hunting, but eventually caught me half way,
passed me out and was also back at the car long before me.
I seriously would have needed a half hour head start for the car. :(

wouldn't be so bad if there was detectable sand from the beach to the parking lot,
but what sand was there I would imagine is a trash pit.

at one point I got down on my knees to dig a target, when I went
to get up, I couldn't, took several tries to straighten My Knees :(
and that is rare for me. Just last year, I used to do knee bends for hours while digging. The more Knee Bends I did, the better I felt then.
But after that, I started taking breaks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions