Is Your Machine Your Dance Partner?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting to spend a great deal of time on the beach allows me to observe many things, all sorts of interesting things. So, during all this time I couldn't help but to notice how in rhythm many hunters are with the swing of their coils. I was watching a couple of hunters not too long ago and it looked like they were performing a graceful type of two-steep, my mind silently humming a popular ballroom tune as I continued to watch them gracefully move about the beach. It was actually a pretty cool thing to observe, the perfect timing between swing and step, the sudden stops and pauses to inspect target responses without ever confusing the natural flow of things. Personally, I can't do it, my motions are more reminiscent of a teenager learning to drive a clutch for the first time. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind of a cross between a slam dance and being in a mosh pit,but we dance!

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually have songs running through my head while beach hunting, which does give me rhythm. Favorites: "Land's End", Siouxise & the Banshees; "I Feel Free", Cream; "Sea and Sand" or "Bell Boy" ("a beach is a place where a man can feel/he's the only soul in the world that's real"), The Who. But I date myself.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, It's more like taking a blind date to the beach. Your expectations are high, but you never know.

At times you can walk holding hands swinging your hips block after block, which turn into mile after mile, without hearing a sound.

Other times you hear this excited chatter near bars or hotel entrances, at first I thought it was saying take me in and I am yours, but sadly found out it meant take me away?

Then there are those times that it just screams at you and you don't have the foggiest idea why? It is usually a high pitched wail, or it can be a moan/groan.

There is this what I call the Mohammad Ali sound ( soft fluttering sound like the wings of a butter fly, followed by a buzz like a bee) and prepare to get stung.
Most often, I just hear a chirp and then nothing, absolutely nothing.

I Know I am supposed to dig it when I hear a beep at the beach. I suspect my detector must be frigid as it is incapable of making that sound.

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Sometimes I thought to myself that my machine actually were a better dance partner than my girlfriend. Lets me make all the moves I want, doesn't stick toes underneath my feet and doesn't blame me for missing the right pace. So in order to not let her get too jealous we've been taking dance courses together for a couple of years now and go out dancing twice every week. But yes- I might break into a few Cha Cha steps with my machine whenever I dig a nice keeper on the beach.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I realized the full scope of the term, I use to tell people I'd meet on the beach that I was a, "swinger". Explains some of the raised eyebrows I'd often get back. :laughing7: :BangHead:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
196k.gif DO THE DANCE

Top Member Reactions